The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Intercooler Sprayer [Merged 12-7] sprayers ic i/c fmic sidemount smic co2 water

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys are there any cheap way to make a water cooler intercooler sprayer like the Sti’s have? I have been tossing the idea around but haven’t come up with anything great. I was thinking about getting a small Honda fluid reservoir and just running it to the intercooler. Any ideas? Or is there not really a need for it?

The problem at this point is that the hose will continue to siphon the washer tank after it is used, so your first application will also be your last. To prevent that, I created a siphon break by putting a tee and a short length of hose with a Whisper one way aquarium air line valve at the end, on the hose at a point above the washer tank at the back of the car. It is important to create a fairly sharp bend in the hose and put the tee at the top of the bend for maximum effectiveness. The one way valve prevents fluid from squirting out under pressure, but air is pulled in to the hose, breaking the siphon after the washer is turned off. (The end of the valve that you CAN'T blow through is pointed toward the tee) Use the sprayer for a second after filling to make sure that any siphon that was created during filling is broken.

I dont like that part.. There has to be a better way so the tank doesnt siphion its self.

I made my water intercooler sparayer for less then $25

-Bought coolant resevoir from AZ for $9.
-Borrowed sotkc DSM washer pump from junk yard :p
-Bought some extra vaccum hose

Since I have no fog lights i used the stock foglights wiring and switch (bypassed to be turned on anything the key is in the ignition). The tank is hidden between the inner bumper and the radiator right under the passanger headlight. The washer pump is tapped off the bottom of the tank. For the nozzles i use the adjustable nozzles from house hold cleaners :p like Fantastic, Windex etc. The nozzles are installed on a aluminum bracket which is held by the useless bottom headlight bolt. There is a large dia tube coming from the tank into the engine bay for refill.

halik

You guys think the NX FMIC Sprayer is worth it? i was just thinking about buying it. thanks

I did a bunch of research on this topic. Most of the threads that I searched all concluded that if you are running an inefficient intercooler then you will reap great benefits from the sprayer. DSMJim has the setup on his car, he said that in back to back runs the car didn't seem to show any substantial gain. Just search and you will find a ton of threads dedicated to the topic.

DSMpwr25 said:
You guys think the NX FMIC Sprayer is worth it? i was just thinking about buying it. thanks
I dont mean to sound like a jerk, but please use the search feature. This question has been asked and answered many times. Here's a few to browse through.....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62219&highlight=ntercooler
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20821&highlight=ntercooler
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92184&highlight=ntercooler
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145453&highlight=ntercooler

I all honesty....if you are even considering CO2 you might as well just get N2O.

Running a 35 shot will be much better intercooling than any form of CO2.

Before I would get the CO2 unit I would invest in water injection.

www.snowperformance.net

I'm planning on turning my rear window washer into an intercooler sprayer. Today I removed it from the hatch and was trying to find the best place to install it. I came up with a couple of possibilities. I relocated the battery to the hatch so I could mount it there, but with all the wire harnesses and brake lines in that area I cant mount it solidly to the firewall. The other spot I found was between the bumper and radiator, I'd have to modify the shrouding there a little, but the main thing I don't like about that is I'm afraid it would mess up the airflow to the radiator. It would be a much cleaner install there though. If I can't come up with anything else I'll mount it near where the battery used to be and zip tie it to main wire harness.

So what I'm asking is, has anyone done this and if so where did you mount the washer fluid bottle?

I have not done this myself, however I have seen pictures of someone who just kept it where it was. He just ran a hose from the reservoir in the trunk underneath the car near the fuel lines all the way to the ic and attached a little sprayer. Cost him about $10 and he could still activate it with his windshield washer knob. Looked pretty neat and im gonna try it when I have the time.

I'm not expecting big results, as I don't have problems with heat soke. But I figure its a nearly free mod and cant hurt. And if I ever get into track days it may be alot more benificial.

I made my own for my last car (SRT4) and it ran alot better. Dropped 2 tenths in the 1320.

I am planning on doing headwork along with another upgrade this fall/winter. I was thinking about meth/water injection and an intercooler sprayer... Which one would be more beneficial to my setup??

Intercooler sprayers only cool down the intercooler, and at that, only to a limited degree. Their effect on the running of the motor is negligible. Water injection, even without alcohol, has many benefits, starting with keeping the combustion chambers spotlessly clean.

Yeah, that's what I thought... I'll probably wind up doing injection after th head work because when I put a new head on I'll have ARP bolts and a good head gasket..

I searched the forums and did not see what i was looking for. If it is in here, i'm sorry for double posting. I've heard that when running a intercooler sprayer that you have the chance of running the car to lean because sometimes the mist makes it to the air filter and is sucked into the engine. Has anyone experienced a problem relating too running lean from this or is it a new one to you guys. Is their any amount of benefit over meth-injection. Thanks for any input

I am going to have to say that if you have the money for either I would strongly consider the meth/water injection. As for the IC sprayer mist getting to your intake, I have not heard this. I suppose it would be possible depending on the location of your air filter in relation to the sprayer. But seriously, The meth/water injection for the win, its the better bang for the buck. You will also see more horse power from the meth injection vs. the IC sprayer.

my budddy has been using a water sprayer for a fmic and has had no problems like that at all, but sounds like its possible. and forsure the meth/water injection is the way to go.

I'm pretty sure the sprayer on the intercooler would be far enough away to stay away from the air filter.As long as the filter's in the general area of the stock one you should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back