The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Check Engine Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
Okay so I have a stock 95 talon esi. Its auto with 135k on it. Today was the first day I noticed the check engine light. I did however do some maintenance on it today. I did an oil change with 5w-20 Royal Purple and put a K&N oil filter on it. I also put NGK BPK6ES spark plugs on them. I was confused about the gapping part. I know it should be between .029 and .031 but on my car the previous owner had it at .046 and one was as high as .055. I wasnt sure with what to go with so I went with the stock gap on it out of the package which was .045. The last thing I did was clean the engine off with some engine cleaner. I put the engine cleaner on cold then sprayed the bay when it was running. I turned the key over and took it for a test drive and noticed that was when the light came on. It did seem rough on the idle too. I hope im specific enough. If you guys need any other details let me know. Im trying to figure out the problem. I have the obd2 reader but my battery is dead and I cant jump it until tomorrow morning to read the codes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Additional info:

I just tried jumping it because my battery is really bad. When I tried jumping, It turns over and idles for a few seconds then shuts down.

A code would be the most help, because it could be any number of things. My guess though would be with the ignition seeing as you replaced the plugs and it is rough starting and wont stay running. First, check your plug wires. Make sure you put the right cylinders back to the correct terminal on the coil pack, and while youre at it make sure that the wires are all connected all the way. If that doesnt fix it make sure all of your plugs are completely tightened down. If your gap is too far your car should still run, especially if you just left it how it is out of the package. You can certainly gap them a little tighter though. If none of that works a code would be really helpful. My guess is going to be a misfire though.

I went to try and get the code when I jumped it but it couldnt read anything. It said "missing link" or something of that nature. Is it possible for my battery to be that dead that I cant get it to read? but thanks for the post. Ill try your advice you gave me and get back.

What kind of OBD-II reader do you have? One that just plugs right in, or one of the nicer ones that has different connectors and requires an electronic "key" to be hooked up to it? You could be missing that. If not then yes its possible your battery is that dead. Although I know some readers require you to have the car on to make a connection and get the code. Which is probably a problem for you :hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back