The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cheap dsmers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
There was a motto during the first ten years or so when the cars were new, "go fast with class". This was in response to idiot honda owners with stripped interiors and home depot plumbing parts under the hood. Sadly this now seems to apply to many dsmers. Let me tell you something, stop supporting this ebay chinese crap. If you cant afford it youve picked the wrong hobby. Buy from reputable vendors who make quality products and do not waste their time with lots of technical questions when you are not buying from them.
There was a time that you simply didnt see a janky dsm because the owner wouldnt allow it.
I cant tell you the number of times ive had some janky dsm owner ask me for help without doing any work or diagnosis on their own (not unlike this newbie section). I dole out experienced advice for free here because I choose to. Vendors who are trying to feed their families are not. To the newest inexperienced guys just starting out we expect newbie questions...for a little while. Those of you that have been around awhile you have no excuse. You dont know how good you have it now vs the early days when there was NO information because it had not been done yet. If you want to see these cars supported then support the vendors that are laying out blood sweat and tears to get it done. If you cant afford it then suck it up and go home until you can.

Amen
There was a motto during the first ten years or so when the cars were new, "go fast with class". This was in response to idiot honda owners with stripped interiors and home depot plumbing parts under the hood. Sadly this now seems to apply to many dsmers. Let me tell you something, stop supporting this ebay chinese crap. If you cant afford it youve picked the wrong hobby. Buy from reputable vendors who make quality products and do not waste their time with lots of technical questions when you are not buying from them.
There was a time that you simply didnt see a janky dsm because the owner wouldnt allow it.
I cant tell you the number of times ive had some janky dsm owner ask me for help without doing any work or diagnosis on their own (not unlike this newbie section). I dole out experienced advice for free here because I choose to. Vendors who are trying to feed their families are not. To the newest inexperienced guys just starting out we expect newbie questions...for a little while. Those of you that have been around awhile you have no excuse. You dont know how good you have it now vs the early days when there was NO information because it had not been done yet. If you want to see these cars supported then support the vendors that are laying out blood sweat and tears to get it done. If you cant afford it then suck it up and go home until you can.
To this bro, i cannot always afford everything i want so i wait and save for them or make my own parts or buy them if available, it does give us a bad name and.i read something this morning saying we was the cheap mans evo LOL

I hope this platform never dies out as it will suck if it did. But sometimes there is no teaching the noobs or kids as they are and most are stubborn and just far to lazy to search

Amen pauleyman I agree 100% on not buying crap parts. I am very proud of my car no its not a show car but its far from crap and no its not cheap put hey you have to pay to play. if I cant buy it or afford to buy it I hand make it to the highest quality I can it helps to be a machinist/fabricator /cad guy. But I have spent my time and my money to try and have a nice car to be proud of. I hope every one on here feels the same.

As far as questions. I have asked my far share but with the help of you guys in here I have become more self sufficient and can find the answers to most my questions. and thanks for that its appreciated always

Couldn't have said it any better.. I only know about one other local DSMer that doesn't cut tons of corners..

I agree with you on this, I tend to try and only buy OEM or Equivalent Parts only. There are a few things that have been bought for me that where not what I wanted but you cannot overlook free LOL...
As for questions I agree with you to a point.

I try my best to see if i can fix a problem before I ask it however as I was always told growing up there is not stupid question only stupid people LOL.. ( thinking back on that I thought it was kinda mean but I get the old generation used the word stupid for un-educated ) So that being said what I am getting at is it should always be encouraged to ask as many question as possible as it leads to learning and doing. I myself have asked a lot of questions recently however I am no mechanic but I love to learn and fix my own stuff so the input Ive been getting from everyone on here as been awesome and priceless to me. I love my car and I love working on it.

Long Live DSM

Kudos to Pauleyman! :thumb:

I don't have problems with any questions. My problems start when people are so lazy & won't bother & seek answers to questions that have been asked a zillion times already. Lazy people that have done nothing & can not tell you what they've done to help themselves are a waste of my time. For many years I've been following this forums rule on not replying at all if my reply would be "search, it's been asked before". Learning is figuring it yourself not have someone else do it for you.

I am by no means a noob when it comes to cars and motors. I always wanted a talon tsi and finally got one.. it is a pain in my ass but worth it. I am prolly guilty of asking "dumb" questions. However i am new to these cars. I am learning tho. As far as crap parts i dont buy them. Its oem or upgraded performance stuff for me. I cant take something apart and not upgrade it.. would be dumb...LOL i just wanna say thanks to all the people that have helped me learn threw my struggles with this car i couldnt have made it this far without you..

I fully agree about our community being cheap. Even tho, there are still quite of few that still support our vendors, but it seems the majority still doesn't.

Another problem that has gotten out of control is the grammar being used or lack of use. Making posts like," I b woking on dee car bc it brokn dont no cuz I put on 16g no boos pas 15." Makes us all a little dumber from trying to read crap like that. There should be stricter rules like can't make sense of a post, it gets deleted.
That's all, sorry if your IQ went down a point trying to read that LOL.

I fully agree about our community being cheap. Even tho, there are still quite of few that still support our vendors, but it seems the majority still doesn't.

Another problem that has gotten out of control is the grammar being used or lack of use. Making posts like," I b woking on dee car bc it brokn dont no cuz I put on 16g no boos pas 15." Makes us all a little dumber from trying to read crap like that. There should be stricter rules like can't make sense of a post, it gets deleted.
my IQ just dropped at least 3 points LOL..

I agree with you on this, hell at least try LOL. I will however say that I believe phones contribute to that.

my IQ just dropped at least 3 points LOL..

I agree with you on this, hell at least try LOL. I will however say that I believe phones contribute to that.

Phones are not an acceptable excuse, in my opinion, because you can always proof read before/after. I understand that there will be some mistakes, but the entire post shouldn't be unreadable.

Back in the glory days of this forum, that would be taken down without prejudice. Nowadays, it seems everyone's gotten a little lax. I remember being warned multiple times for bad grammar and what not. Now it's just the norm.

Phones are not an acceptable excuse, in my opinion, because you can always proof read before/after. I understand that there will be some mistakes, but the entire post shouldn't be unreadable.
Agreed, As you may have noticed I never said it was acceptable. :p

There is so much truth to this. I've tried to help some of the vendors with CAD models and design concepts and even used my own car as a test for their benefit. Overall I think the technology we have here is very good. These cars keep getting faster and stronger over the years.

Yet there are some and may always be some that want to cut corners and cry when it doesn't hold. This forum is jam packed with good info and continues to be the foundation and the leading edge of the platform. Almost every search pulls up an archived thread for this forum.

Pauly makes a valid point. The forum is the place to hash out what should and should not be done, what could work, what problems occur, etc. Yet the Vendors who are the support system and lifeline should not be bothered.

This "cheap" disease is not just infecting our auto platform but the entire Global Economy. China is overgrown and essentially forced to do whatever it takes to stay strong economically. They could care less about environmental costs, quality costs, failures etc. They have been supported by countries like ours for years because we are attracted to shiny stuff with a low price tag. Sure, that waste gate actuator looks just like the MHI one, but it's shiny and new, how bad could it be? That AFPR is a fraction of the cost and it's shiny and new. Buy one and find out for yourself. I am very hopeful that the economic tides are starting to shift again and that folks are starting to wake up and realize that the low price tag will carry heavier costs down the road. And here's the big thing to remember folks, They DOn't Care!! If there is a problem with a product made from one of our vendors you better believe they will stand by it. Try getting an answer from a guy halfway around the world about a $10 part you bought off him in a different language.

If you want a DSM and don't have much money you have to weigh this out. What do you have? Tools? Knowledge? Time? Patience? I literally put my car together $15 at a time, but it was not my primary vehicle and I wasn't in any rush to complete it. When it's done it's done. When I have the money I have it. None of us should ever put ourselves or others on the road's lives at stake because we cut corners buying a cheap product.

I would like to think that we do not have a bad image especially in comparison to some of the other auto platforms. It's up to us to maintain that or even raise the bar.

Support Our Vendors, Keep your DSM snug.

There is so much truth to this. I've tried to help some of the vendors with CAD models and design concepts and even used my own car as a test for their benefit. Overall I think the technology we have here is very good. These cars keep getting faster and stronger over the years.

Yet there are some and may always be some that want to cut corners and cry when it doesn't hold. This forum is jam packed with good info and continues to be the foundation and the leading edge of the platform. Almost every search pulls up an archived thread for this forum.

Pauly makes a valid point. The forum is the place to hash out what should and should not be done, what could work, what problems occur, etc. Yet the Vendors who are the support system and lifeline should not be bothered.

This "cheap" disease is not just infecting our auto platform but the entire Global Economy. China is overgrown and essentially forced to do whatever it takes to stay strong economically. They could care less about environmental costs, quality costs, failures etc. They have been supported by countries like ours for years because we are attracted to shiny stuff with a low price tag. Sure, that waste gate actuator looks just like the MHI one, but it's shiny and new, how bad could it be? That AFPR is a fraction of the cost and it's shiny and new. Buy one and find out for yourself. I am very hopeful that the economic tides are starting to shift again and that folks are starting to wake up and realize that the low price tag will carry heavier costs down the road. And here's the big thing to remember folks, They DOn't Care!! If there is a problem with a product made from one of our vendors you better believe they will stand by it. Try getting an answer from a guy halfway around the world about a $10 part you bought off him in a different language.

If you want a DSM and don't have much money you have to weigh this out. What do you have? Tools? Knowledge? Time? Patience? I literally put my car together $15 at a time, but it was not my primary vehicle and I wasn't in any rush to complete it. When it's done it's done. When I have the money I have it. None of us should ever put ourselves or others on the road's lives at stake because we cut corners buying a cheap product.

I would like to think that we do not have a bad image especially in comparison to some of the other auto platforms. It's up to us to maintain that or even raise the bar.

Support Our Vendors, Keep your DSM snug.

Very well put.

Thanks in part to the members here I have been able to keep my dsm going and also learned about new venders like extremempsi and Miller Imports.. I would rather spend my money on good parts then buy the same cheap part over and over and over again.

I literally put my car together $15 at a time

Same here I get stuff little bit by little bit. Saving right now for some much needed replacements and stuff to fix what the cheap PO did.

It really does suck that these cars get neglected so much. Craigslist is usually filled with them. Either hacked out or half running or half stripped with a trunk full of parts. Rarely do I see a good running DSM for a fair price in my area. However sometimes they get passed from ignorant owners at a steal price, to an owner that knows how to put the car together. I've taken advantage of this from time to time and I'm always on the lookout. So it's not all bad.

Oh who cares anyway? The people that can afford nice things allready buy them, and the people that can't afford them shouldn't even have the car. The cheap china stuff lets them at least have that they couldn't have anyway.

Plus, f*** half the vendors. My biggest gripe is with our clutch companies. Take ACT for example. There pressure plates used to be made from exedy parts. The cover and shoe was identical to a factory piece, and it was beefy as hell. There current shit is made from seeco parts. The cover is about 50% thinner than stock, and the shoe is as well. It warps and cracks without any trouble at all. Yet a 2600 is still $300. A good old fashioned XTD is $79, made from the same parts(except the spring), and has close to the same clamp load. I could go on and on, but I'm not paying a premium for a second rate part, which is what we get most of the time.

there's a reason ferrari owners own ferraris, corvette owners own corvettes, classic guys own classics, and dsm guys own dsms. dsms are budget cars. if we had 10k to dump into them at once, we probably would have just bought a new car in the first place.

browse any mustang, camaro, TA, evo, wrx car forum and you'll see the same things you see on here. same thing with street bikes. why? because these cars cost 2-5k and guys piece them together... 90% of them enjoy working on cars and the rest are looking for "budget fast" on a car they already own.

i dont buy ebay parts anymore but one of the reasons i like dsms and hondas are because the parts are readily available.. whether it's used oem, replica, or ebay.

i understand you're an elitist and all, but ever think that ebay parts are the reason why there's such a big community of owners? i think that's something we all should be grateful for.

Last edited:
Well said pauleyman.

I think the main point of the post is basically be more informed [utilize the search button], and know what is the better option out there for your project/build/daily driver and if you want the best in function fit and form etc, save your money, budget all you can, and then you will be able to get/make what you need and build it right.

The dsm platform was blessed to have some of the best informed/experienced dsm guys/gals in the community on here, that know how to fix/tune these cars, it should go without saying, but without all the help/information from the dsmers and even the vendors on here, that contributed to the forums, I'm positive that the dsm platform would not be as popular today as it is, it may have even died out without their help.

To everyone that contributed on here,big THANK YOU, for supporting this platform and going the extra mile to help everyone on here reach their goals.

And what list would that be? Elitist? No. I just see a much much larger amount of laziness now and I'm tired of it. If you're making it work and working with what you have, safely, cleanly then more power to you. Hot rodding has its roots based on those attitudes.

There aren't any dsm's for sale on Craigslist here in dallas.

To me these cars are dying and will never be seen again. Cutting corners and using cheap parts is what is going to kill them. It took me 5 years to find and unmolested 2g here in dallas, if you're blessed enough to find one of your own you should take care of it to the best of your abilities, not just slap a 16g on a 20 year old car and think you can make 400whp

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back