The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Carbon Fiber Foglight covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Boosty-

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Threw these together with some 3m carbon fiber vinyl from fleabay. Cost me $9.99 and around 30 total minutes. I'm still figuring out a mounting situation as it was wet today and I wasn't getting on the ground. Ill have a few more pics and an explanation of what I did tomorrow.

Thanks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry to anyone that has been following this thread at all. The weather here in south western mi hasn't been friendly. Cold wet and not fun to be outside in. As soon as I get a decent day ill get extra pictures and get them mounted.

-thanks

Ok so it wasnt great today but I did manage to get outside and snap a few photos of the covers on the car. I still didnt want to get on the ground and mount them, so I still need to figure that part out, for the pics they were just wedged in there.

The first thing I did was look for something to use to cover the hole that the fog lights sat in. I didnt want to use anything very thick because that would make them stick out past the bumper. It also had to be something I could manipulate to match the curve of the surrounding. I ended up settling on an old oil jug I had laying in the garage.
After that I cut a square out of each side of the jug larger than the cover, cleaned them up using carb cleaner and then traced out the outside of the cover.

I then cut the pattern out, traced the pattern onto the other square piece of oil jug for the other light. Keep in mind to label which side goes in and up, trust me it can get confusing later on as it just doesnt seem quite symmetrical. I also labeled my covers so I knew which piece went on which cover. This takes all the guess work out of it.

After I had both patterns cut I placed them on the covers and then on to each other and cut them so they were both perfect with each other. I put them on my carbon finer vinyle I bought and cut about a quarter inch bigger then the pattern. I did this so I could fold the vinyl over the back of the piece to make a cleaner look. I dont have pictures of this sorry as this write up was somewhat of an after thought.

I lined up my pieces onto my fog light covers by putting the covers in place. Then I held my pieces with the CF in the opening where I liked them, then I put three marks on the CF pieces and the bumper of my car with a dry erase maker. I removed the CF pieces and transferred the marks from my bumper to the covers. I used JB weld as a glue to hold the pieces to the fog light covers (however I dont think this will be the best hold, I may have to do some future repairs to the covers and find something that will adhere to both sides better). I taped all the edges of the pieces to the covers with a million little pieces of tape so that it had the contour of the covers. Again sorry no pics, pretty self explanitory. I let them dry over night and this is what I ended up with. For ten bucks for the CF vinyl and around 25 minutes of my time im very pleased with the results. I hope to get atleast a year out of these, since I have a 12"X60" roll of CF I wont have any problem replacing them if needed. Onto the final pics.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back