The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Custom carbon fiber parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabytech

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2007
Daytona, Florida
Trying to get a carbon fiber manufacturer to make 2G custom carbon fiber exterior parts like a 2GB front bumper, side skirt, and rear bumper. Just checking if there is a good interest from our DSM community to check if we can arrange a group buy.. NOTE: I'm NOT organizing a group buy, Im just checking the community interest as to get the carbon fiber manufacturer on board and have them organize a group buy...

The hard part is that the mold that needs to be made to make these parts requires on average 150 man hours to produce. Tie that into the actual material costs to produce the mold and then the parts. It is unfeasible from a business perspective to fabricate all that for less than 15 parts being made out of the mold.

That being said, it is hard to move 15 carbon fiber stock front bumpers for a car that is a minimum of 15 years old now. The market is hard to cut into. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. You can do anything if you have the money to pay for it. It's just going to be a tough sale....

Oh a side note, I found out a place here in my town will take your part, dip it into some kind of fluid that produces a perfect carbon fiber finish, which they then clean and clear. It's not weight savings but it does solve the visual appearance aspect...

Carbon fiber Spyder trunk!!! If that is made I will also buy a OEM carbon fiber hood!

The hard part is that the mold that needs to be made to make these parts requires on average 150 man hours to produce. Tie that into the actual material costs to produce the mold and then the parts. It is unfeasible from a business perspective to fabricate all that for less than 15 parts being made out of the mold.

That being said, it is hard to move 15 carbon fiber stock front bumpers for a car that is a minimum of 15 years old now. The market is hard to cut into. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. You can do anything if you have the money to pay for it. It's just going to be a tough sale....

Oh a side note, I found out a place here in my town will take your part, dip it into some kind of fluid that produces a perfect carbon fiber finish, which they then clean and clear. It's not weight savings but it does solve the visual appearance aspect...

Pretty much it wouldnt be for the average joe owning a DSM with just minor bolt-ons and just rocking a carbon fiber hood. Its directed more towards those hardcore DSM which they are quite a few and also towards those with DSM race cars looking for that extra weight off, although a OEM front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts dont weight that much, when having a race car shaving a few lbs. here and there tend to shave a few total lbs.

Special Carbon Fiber in San Diego does special parts upon request, you may just need to send them your OEM parts for them to make a mold. But he will give a great deal to compensate for doing so.

I'm arranging for fenders right now with him.

I honestly dont see this going very far

there are already manufacturers for hatches, hoods, fenders, doors not much left other than the bumbper and its already only a few pounds, carbon fiber would really only make it stiffer, side skirts? LOL race car removes them LOL

Pretty much it wouldnt be for the average joe owning a DSM with just minor bolt-ons and just rocking a carbon fiber hood. Its directed more towards those hardcore DSM which they are quite a few and also towards those with DSM race cars looking for that extra weight off, although a OEM front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts dont weight that much, when having a race car shaving a few lbs. here and there tend to shave a few total lbs.

The problem with using them for racing is: Unless you autocross, any kind of multiple cars on the track at the same time could result in a crash or rubbing. It gets expensive really quickly to replace the carbon fiber bumpers each time you get hit. I know from personal experience, that's why my race talon uses oem ones. Much easier on my pocket book. It was something I looked into but if you are a budget racer who has to fund the car yourself it seems to be something to avoid. ;)

I do understand what you are saying though, they would be perfect for autocross or drag racing though...

Same like a carbon crash support could be awesome for weight savings and protection versus not running one at all...

Welcome to Extreme Dimensions :: Inventory Item :: 1997-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Eagle Talon Carbon Creations Drifter Front Bumper - 1 Piece

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 95_eclipseccdrifterfront.jpg
    95_eclipseccdrifterfront.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 300
Thats a drif bumper. The group Im targeting is drag racers. I already have a manufacturer that can custom fab the parts for me, but its going to be expensive to make this custom order without people getting on board and making a group buy. Another option atleast for me, since my uncle own a fiberglass boat repair shop, is for us to make the mold ourself since my uncle already has a lot of experience building molds and have a local carbon fiber shop make the parts with our molds... Im not looking to have these parts tomorrow since Im still working with the chassis fabrication for the next few months, and probably not going to be in the exterior phase for a while, Im just analizing what my options are and what kind of interest would the drag DSM racers have in these and if so have the manufacturer make a special group buy.. Im certainly going forward with these at due time. My uncle even has a composite material distributor that when the times comes we can even buy the materials at a discount price and mess around with us fabricating the parts ourselves if needed to. Eventhough we have a lot of experience working with fiberglass, working with carbon fiber is worlds aparts, still we can use our experience with working with fiberglass as a starting point to mess around with carbon fiber.

If you are going to use your uncle's Fiberglass shop to make the molds, might as well get him to order the carbon fiber through his shop and produce your own parts. If you want to as well, keep the molds handy and you can make parts for other's to offset your own costs. ;) That's what I do with my molds and parts.

You learn quite a bit, very quickly when you start making your own FG and CF parts. It's an expensive learning curve but it's handy knowledge to have...

If you are interested, I have a few books that I can give you the titles for. They are quite informative and have quite a few project ideas that you can do in them or just use them for the information and build your own parts. My next project is to learn more about using carbon in tensile positions and how to fabricate that. I want to make CF control arms and other suspension parts for my race car. That's a project for next winter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back