The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Cam Gear timing issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatshack

Probationary Member
Aug 22, 2020
colorado springs, Colorado
I have always worked with 1g and this is my first 2g.

I am finishing up an engine rebuild from bottom up but I have ran into a cam gear not timing, when timing marks are lined up the dowel on the exhaust side is at 6oclock. I am sure I am missing something. I have not touched a DSM in years. please help this is the last part on the build.

Cams and gears were used on this head previously running. It also aligns without having to use a tool to keep them in place, so clearly a problem. If someone can point me in the right direction on this forum or an answer that would be greatly appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok cool i had them that way but it seems weird because usually you have to hold them in timing but these kind of just sit there on their own. does it have anything to do with me bleeding the lifters when rebuilding the head?

OK awesome appreciate you guys. I will try that tonight. just not a fan at how they are sitting. I am used to them springing back right before the mark.

There is a handy holding tool that keeps them in tight alignment. I recently used it on my first T-belt job on my car. I also had questions on the position of the dowel pins, so I can relate. Mine would almost stay in the proper alignment on their own, but off just a fraction of a tooth. Your last photo looks just right to me. Must be nice to do it with the motor out! Must make setting up the tensioner a bit easier.

Attachments

• 84BA6A8B-8802-45DE-B75D-EB6CDA984927.jpeg
    84BA6A8B-8802-45DE-B75D-EB6CDA984927.jpeg
    801.1 KB · Views: 60
In addition to the cam stopper tool that Mech Addict showed, I also use binder clips to hold the belt onto the cam gears as I loop it around so that it won't prematurely slip off while looping it around the other pulleys and gears. Everything I've read about doing timing on these engines, says put the belt over the cam gears first, then continue clockwise with all other parts. When you get back to the top, the exhaust cam gear may be a little off, so rotate it counterclockwise the 1/2 - 1 tooth distance to line it up.

Yes, I also used the binder clips, and threaded the belt as described in the FSM. it actually went surprisingly well, given that mine was in the car, with all of 3” clearance to do it. For the tensioner setup, I used the “just drags on the drill bit” method described in vfaq and elsewhere. I did try the 1/4” torque wrench method first, but it seemed impossible to keep the right torque applied while you tighten the tension-pulley bolt. Still took me about 6 tries to get to where the right adjustment held after waiting and turning the engine by the crank so many revs. Yet to run it, yet, so perhaps it granades anyway!

Awesome thanks guys appreciate the help. just didn't seem right but everything you guys said is looking good. yes it is nice being able to do timing outside the car that's why i am doing everything so i don't have to deal with it for awhile. haha

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back