The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

boost leak kinda found?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerq

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2012
fairhope, Alabama
Ok, so I did a boost leak test yesterday after work and will do another in about an hour or so, I have a good seal on my tester and I'm using shop air. My boost gauge will only reach 10psi during the test hold air for about 5 seconds. I can hear air escaping near the throttle body elbow area but can't feel anything and can't see anything with the soap and water test, but I am definitly losing a good amout of air. Any common spots to look for here? The Tbody gasket, and hose on the Tbody seem fine to me so I'm pretty confused.:banghead: Though I can't really tell if the hoses beneth the Tbody have pressure to them.

Spare pics for the pooor! Pics for the pooor! :beatentodeath:

I'm new to this and didn't think about the injectors, I just did another leak test and IT'S ALL FOUR OF MY INJECTORS!! So looks like I'm going to upgrade them sooner than expected haha 560cc EVO power!
Thanks jpmxrider489

I'm new to this and didn't think about the injectors, I just did another leak test and IT'S ALL FOUR OF MY INJECTORS!! So looks like I'm going to upgrade them sooner than expected haha 560cc EVO power!
Thanks jpmxrider489

Its not the injectors that are leaking, its the injector insulators- these are donut shaped rubber rings (Part number MD087060) that go onto the tips of the injectors where the injectors go into the head. They always get hard as plastic over time and are only a couple bucks a piece from the dealership, so just get new ones. Also, did you spray soapy water onto the spring where the throttle cable connects to the TB and also the throttle position sensor?- These two areas almost always leak cause the shaft seals in the throttle body are 20+ years old and are bad. Spray the biss screw as well as the oring on the screw is bad for sure.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-intake-exhaust/245124-91-94-throttle-body-shaft-seal-replacement.html

ok... but what if I WANT to buy some 550cc injectors :) LOL I'll be sure that the seal is new.. As for the Tbody shaft, I understand it's old and will keep and eye on it and inspect it better when I do the injectors. I would like to upgrade to the GM MAF + Translator soon enough so I would most likely seek out another Tbody in the process. I'm just happy I found the boost leak so I can feel more comfortable driving it and soon turning up the boost a bit. Thanks for the info though.

ok... but what if I WANT to buy some 550cc injectors :) LOL I'll be sure that the seal is new.. As for the Tbody shaft, I understand it's old and will keep and eye on it and inspect it better when I do the injectors. I would like to upgrade to the GM MAF + Translator soon enough so I would most likely seek out another Tbody in the process. I'm just happy I found the boost leak so I can feel more comfortable driving it and soon turning up the boost a bit. Thanks for the info though.

What is your reasoning for wanting to get the translator setup?

^ LOL I plan on gathering that stuff but not installing it untill I procure a Link/Logger anyway. I'm trying not to rush things. I've got a turbo back exhaust, with air/fuel WB and Boost guage. Next is injectors, find a better spring for my MBC, re-wire fuel pump with 255lph and AFPR then then focus on the intake system and logger. I can tune locally if needed before hand. AGX shocks and springs when funds allow.

So that's the plan. Very open to suggestions/alterations. Feel free to add you're experience/critics.

What are you planning on tuning with?

I'll go to my local shop or another source I know, IF it takes too long to get a logger and I start adding parts like a crazy person LOL but I plan on going with your standard ECM/DSMlink. I'm still trying to learn more about this stuff so when I do buy, I'll make a better choice.

Well I'm for sure going to get a Link. So what would i run then? Anything that fits then tune? LOL

Ok then, I guess I'll just build at the funds for the Link before any more non-maint work. Anything else go with the Link? or just buy the $545 package and plug and play?

It isn't plug and play. You have to make sure that you have an eprom ecu. IF you do have an eprom than it will have to be socketed. IF you don't have an eprom than it will have to be converted to eprom.

Eprom? How do I check? The ECU is near the passangers feet right?

The ecu is behind the stereo. Pull the cover off and take a pic of the board. Post the pic here and i will tell you what you have.

what chip?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I dont have time to pull it out today so that'll have to wait. I was just thinking post a pic LOL my bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back