The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

EVOscan Black box ECU back to ecm link

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jed344

Supporting VIP
Jan 10, 2008
Waterville, Iowa
Long story short we picked up a 95 talon TSI awd auto. The car has black box in it but runs like total crap. We have spare 95 eprom with link. Hooked it up to car and it just keeps saying no response received. Who here has put a 98/99 blackbox in a 95/96 so i can figure out what pins he might have swapped at Ecu.

Do you still need the reflash connector for ecmlink? Curious to know for future reference. Starting to work on more 2g.
The 95-97 wont have the factory reflash connector built in to the cars harness, you would need to add it.

You misunderstood my question. The car has black box running on it already. I want to take that out and put ecm link in. BUT when I did that ecm link does not receive response from ecu. I am asking if any pins would have been swapped at ecu with black box that now I must change back.

It's pin 79 that needs to be run to the flash connector, in order to use an H8 ECU in a 2GA. AFAIK no other pins need to be swapped other than the CAS one if you don't want to re-adjust your firing order in the engine bay.

But honestly, that wouldn't stop the ECU from communicating. You don't use the flash connector for ECMLink and pin 79 is empty on a 95-96 ECU anyway. Sorry to say this, but you may have to check the wiring and see if anything wasn't done correctly or if it's hacked up. When you say it runs bad on the H8 ECU, how exactly does it run bad? It may be bad wiring. If you need/want the stock pinouts for a 2G ECU, I've got them here. Just say the word.

Last edited:
That's to bad was hoping it was quick fix. The person we got the car from "tuned" it himself. I have been tuning ecm link for almost 10 years and never played with black box stuff so that's why was going to toss ecm link in it. Guess ill have to go threw the harness and see what may be messed with. The previous owner said some stuff like he swapped CAS wires and some injector wires or something like that. He had no idea what he was doing with the car.

That's to bad was hoping it was quick fix. The person we got the car from "tuned" it himself. I have been tuning ecm link for almost 10 years and never played with black box stuff so that's why was going to toss ecm link in it. Guess ill have to go threw the harness and see what may be messed with. The previous owner said some stuff like he swapped CAS wires and some injector wires or something like that. He had no idea what he was doing with the car.

Yeah. There's no telling what he may have done. For the ECU to not be communicating with Link though, fairly straightforward to see. Trace the wires that run from the ECU to the OBD-II port. It should be pretty obvious if anything is wonky there.

Stupid question from me, have you tested the ECMLink ECU in another car to just 100% rule out it's not the ECU? Also, have you used this specific computer with ECMLink in another car before? May be something dumb like drivers for the cable or the wrong COM port or something dumb. Don't rule anything out!

Literally connected my laptop to the ecm link ecu 5 min before putting it in this car. Put it back in other car instant connection. It’s 100% something with that car.

Update. We re wired the OBD2 port as stated by ecm link, have 100% confirmed ecu, Cable, ecu all connect in other car. Still getting no response received.

It just blows my mind, there's legit no reason it shouldn't be communicating with the ECU. If it was a power wire issue or anything similar, then the H8 ECU wouldn't function either. As long as the cable is getting power/the OBD-II is getting power, no reason it shouldn't be able to communicate with the Link ECU.

Are we sure it's an H8 ECU and not an Evo ECU? IF it's a 3G, Evo, or Auto Lancer ECU there's a few pinouts at the ECU itself that has to be changed, and they all look identical to a "black box" 2G ECU.

Can you explain what this means exactly? What is the factory reflash connector? That's for the black box ecu's to flash them?

Thanks,
Scott

The flash connector is honestly what it sounds like. It's another connector that's right next to/on top of the OBD-II port in an H8 equipped DSM, that you need to use to write/flash the ECU. It's just a little connector, and yeah it's only for the flashable ECUs. This is what the male connector from the actual flashing cable looks like, so you can imagine what the female looks like.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No it is not used for ECMLink.

We have now tried 3 different 98/99 black box ECUs we have. And tried a stock 95 ecu. It runs like crap on them all and ecm link still says no response received. I am running out of ideas. Even with OBD2 port rewired to eliminate wiring issues there is one thing. Ecm link says that pin 1 serial data line should see 5v+ with key on and it’s not showing that. This line comes directly from Ecu to the OBD2 port. I have no idea why this is. We have tried it now with many different ECUs and it’s always the same. We also again to be sure took this ecu, cable, PC and hooked it up to another car and they instantly connect. So it still is something with this one car.

Update. We went threw every ecu pin. Everything is wired correctly at ECU, the OBD2 has 12V at correct pin and has ground. We do not have the 5v+ from serial data lines. We already rewired port to ecu. What triggers these wires to show 5v+. Also again we have confirmed ecu and Cable and laptop connect on another car and we even tried a hole different ecu, computer, cable. Same thing. No response Recieved.

Where is the 5 volts coming from for the obd port plug? Have you tried to get 5 volts from any of the sensor wire pins at the Ecu? Tps mass air. Etc. have had a few 2g I had to run a new wire all the way back. For some reason one was intermittent and the other car had no power at the plug for 5 volts.

We are going off what ECM link says for worst case to get ecm link to connect. 1 pin needs 12v it has its, one needs ground it has it, the serial data line needs 5v+ we do not have that. But we have already rewired the OBD2 so its not a ground in the wire to the ecu. We can connec to car with scan tool, and it runs on 95/96 ecu, but we cannot get ecm link to connect. Still no response received.

Update we pulled the hole dash and everything rewired the harness at ECU to match another car we had and followed the wires. The is something in the harness that is screwed up. We are out of time to mess with it so we now are just swapping the hole harness with another one.

Do you know if the Link ECU is even turning on in this car?
Have you tried configuring it in the other car and then seeing if it will start this car?

You've done a ton of work that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere and I'm sure you checked these but I didn't see it mentioned.

I did that. We took this ecu to another car connected i set up a base tune we put it back in the car and it starts and drives on it. Just will not connect in this car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back