The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best Bang for Buck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilzig

Probationary Member
Feb 7, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
I bought a 99' eclipse rs' about 2 years ago. The motor was in pieces half of them were in the trunk. I restored it and bought some common parts, perfprmance wise for it. About 1500 dollars later im woundering if I really spent the money in the right place? I bought a pacesetter header 4-2-1, flowmaster muffler, MSD ingnition coil pack and wires, polyurythane engine mounts, and a RAM clutch. I have ran my car many times on the track and the lowest time she ran was a 16 flat. I really want to go turbo! But i have money issuses any ideas?

Well asalways everything depends on money,If you have about 3k you could easily turbo it,BUT then youll need about another k for supporting parts and dynoing and tuning it and all that other stuff.

OR you could run a allmotor setup, which will run you a bout a k cheaper,more than likely less, depending on how you spend it and where you get parts from.

Also The MSD Ignition Coil I heard it only puts out teh same voltage as the stick one, if you want to get a better one you can go to Howell Automotive and get the screaming demon one,which puts out alil more voltage. also get you could gett bigger wire.I wouldnt go with anything bigger than 8.5 IMO I heard someting about anything biger than that that it somehow stops some of the elec. from getting there. iono where I got that from but souns good to me,its like getting 800cc fuel injectors with only a intake,if anything thatd would make you lose power cause youd be running MAD RICH!

Ignition Coil by Screamin Demon(Late flat pin style connector) - 31732

Underdrive pulley is also a cheap mod,
AF/X 30% Underdrive Pulley 2.0 Diamondstar - AFXDSP95S
hope this helps

PS. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!

PSS. we also have this lil guide here
Tech Guide: 2G 420A Power Upgrades - DSMtuners

[..] I bought a pacesetter header 4-2-1, [...] MSD ingnition coil pack and wires, [...] I really want to go turbo! But i have money issuses any ideas?

Well asalways everything depends on money,If you have about 3k you could easily turbo it,BUT then youll need about another k for supporting parts and dynoing and tuning it and all that other stuff.

OR you could run a allmotor setup, which will run you a bout a k cheaper,more than likely less, depending on how you spend it and where you get parts from.

You can build your own turbo-kit for way under $4,000, think as low as $1,000 if you're adequately thrifty and properly planned - the header would have to go. NA builds are not cheap either. Ask Mark Bullett what his setup would have likely cost retail, and I'd bet it would be more than your basic turbo-kit.

Also The MSD Ignition Coil I heard it only puts out teh same voltage as the stick one, if you want to get a better one you can go to Howell Automotive and get the screaming demon one,which puts out alil more voltage. also get you could gett bigger wire.I wouldnt go with anything bigger than 8.5 IMO I heard someting about anything biger than that that it somehow stops some of the elec. from getting there. iono where I got that from but souns good to me,its like getting 800cc fuel injectors with only a intake,if anything thatd would make you lose power cause youd be running MAD RICH!

You're correct, the MSD coilpack is not an upgrade, but he already has it, there is no harm. The factory powered ignition is strong enough to handle boost, given a smaller plug gap. The Screamin' Demon is most often not needed.

Any decent wires are acceptable, though heavy jacketed wires last longer. A larger conductor will not hinder the spark, but does cost more and yields little-to-no real benefit for us.

:thumb:

if your not a fabricator and you dont want to deal with that stress of missing and needing more parts throughout your build, take a look at the jdm 420a kit. it comes with everything to custom fit. all you got to do is some welding and ecu/fuel upgrades. the kit runs for $1000 and from that layout you could always upgrade to a bigger turbo. also you can choose from a fmic, or a smic when you order.:thumb:

That 420a JDM kit looks like the ebay turbo kit, are they the same or is this one better and coming from a reputable dealer? I just wouldn't cheap out on a turbo setup unless it was at least able to handle what its meant for. No offense to your recommendation, but I would actually personally like to know if anyone has this particular kit, and think its an ok setup.:)

Yeh I know the eBay 1000 dollar turbos are junk, thats why I asked if this "JDM" kit is different then the eBay ones since the price is the same.. Too bad no one has this particular kit to vouch for it.. I wonder where all the people are who actually buy these cheap turbo kits, because they certainly don't hit the forums too often to either warn us or boast about how they got a turbo for a fraction of the price. I personally wouldn't buy a cheap kit unless I was absolutely convinced it was reliable, which is probably impossible haha.

LOL i kinda figured the MSD was just for show. well.. thank you guys for the help i think i will go turbo just taking some time and patience. I've been working on my car for a week now i put a new tranny and clutch in. Also 2 new axels and lower laderal (dont know if spelled right) arms. I need drastically a front driver side hub assembly. LOL just my luck luck no junk yards around here have eclipses!! haha

well i cant vouch for it yet but that was the kit i was going to buy, i havent checked out ebay but i just want a simple turbo upgrade for daily driving, and like i said with that set-up if the turbos garbage and you blow it up you can upgrade from there, no loss in money really, ive seen just intercooler kits for $1000. it all depends on what you want to do. me personally, id rather not spend more money on my turbo then i paid for the car! especially when i could get a 4g63, but the cluster-f**k under the hood steers me away

ive seen people asking around on other forums about this kit and people replying that they suck or that a jdm is impossible, well go to advanced jdm parts.com and check it out for your self it has a 4/5 star rating and some kits come with tdo5's, i may be a noob but thats still were ill put my money first unless someone proves me otherwise with facts and not just talking all high and mighty!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back