The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Best for the buck???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amazin' Wasian

Banned Member
May 7, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
ok i have about $3,500 bucks to blow, whats the best turbo kit i could get for my 1998 GS???

i put in the star stage II on my 98gs. it sells new for around $2500 but i bought mine used with only 3k on it for $800. SSII kit will give you 280hp and you wont have to upgrade your internals yet. of course you could go way bigger but just make sure you "bullet proof" your internals. and buy some extra tires, but thats another story........

If you are going to go turbo, most important is to beef up the engine. stage 2 turbo will not require serious engine work, as our cars can handle it, but for better performance that would be recommended along with of course a new complete exhaust system. Kit wise, I have heard hahn to be the best, but star is also good, just hard to locate

we think alike adgators99. Yeah if i had 3500 to blow on my car in your position i would beef it up first, then make a routine of checking ebay for a very lightly used kit and then go with the new exhaust and an mbc, and related gauges. you might as well get it beefed up then lightly turbo it because you can easily and relatively cheaply go bigger later. i would have gone that way myself, but an $800 star stage II doesn't come around too often. hey, by the way, where at in PA are you? I lived in Meadville briefly about a year ago, but didn't get around too much.

If I was fortunate enough to find one for around $800 it would be on my car too. but I need low end power first. I live 1 1/2 hours north of Philadelphia and 30 minutes from Allentown / Bethlehem

Back to the turbo - jl98 has one as well as many others that started n/t like me. Obviously they have first hand experience, however I am very knowledgeable and have researched this topic endlessly. Star is a harder kit to aqcuire / cheaper / just a s efficient
If you can get your hands on it I'ld go with that one

id get a garret turbo. u could probably get it for 1,500 brand new. but theres no point in doin that if u dont plan on upgrading the engine itself. unless u buy the garret, make it boost a small amount of psi, and then when u upgrade it, u shoot up the psi. maybe u should change the block at least, and i think the kit comes with a new fuel pump, u need that.

go to turbo-kits.com $2,800 ss2 complete kit or go to importparts.com for the same thing around 2500 s/h is around $50 :thumb:

jl98 said:
i put in the star stage II on my 98gs. it sells new for around $2500 but i bought mine used with only 3k on it for $800. SSII kit will give you 280hp and you wont have to upgrade your internals yet. of course you could go way bigger but just make sure you "bullet proof" your internals. and buy some extra tires, but thats another story........

280 hp? you must be smoking crack. The Stage I kit is good for up to 180 HP and Stage II is good for 200-210 maybe a tad more depending on what you got on your car already and the condition of your engine. I have a Star Stage 2.5 custom I guess and I dyno'ed it in at like 210 HP I got videos to prove it too. Anything like past 10 psi is not recommended on stock internals. That even pushing it a bit.

I don't know how much Star Kits go for nowadays but you can get em for around 2k for stage II. Invest in a full 3 inch exhuast, super afc, boost controller, oil cooler, and EGT gauge. all that'll run you about 3k. Then just treat it well and it should last unlike my engine =P

I'd like to see the dyno for that, whoever put that up doesn't seem right. Even at 10 psi I don't think it would be that much. Its probably 280HP to the crank, it sez a whole buncha jibberish about electronic crank or something on the bottom. Its better to compare cars by wheel horsepower anyway. Just don't wanna get your hopes up thats all.

anyway a friend of mine dyno'ed his stage II at 10 psi with stock internals. He got like 250 WHP so that'd put it around like 280 at the crank but his stock engine didn't run very long at 10 psi...

Im going to agree hahn says stage 2 should be 250-275 HP. I have a lot more work done to my car besides that and im hoping to get 250 @ 8psi when i dyno it. plus im hoping to run low 14's at the track. the mid 13's that they say on there site i dont think is very accurate.

if you were to take off the waste gasket off of the stock t25 turbo on a stock gs-t, you could make around 280, maybe more around 260-270. but its pretty close. thats at the engine though, then again, you could always put a suspension.......

:dsm: :dsm: :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back