The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

90-94 Biggest Bang for the Buck Mods???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Originally posted by 91MitsEclipseNT
tell about the coolant rerouting, i've never heard that one

There are two coolant lines that run to the throttle bdy to heat the intake air on cold starts. Removing these helps cool the intake charge but I think its more of a benefit to turbo cars.

If you want best bang for the buck, injectors, like you said above, good for 15HP isn't true, in fact, very false.

Injectors aren't good for anything except if you are running mods which your stock fuel system can't supply enough fuel for. They basically are there to match the amount of air that you can jam into your engine. The more air you get into there, the more HP you can gain. Hence, forced induction. Yet a turbo kit for this car is also an option you should consider. It will be a custom one, so I suggest having some sort of a background on n/a cars and any type of force induced car.

I also see a lot of guys on here giving wisemen or moderators their "set-ups" with their mods they want to get and ask the experienced guys how much HP will they be running afterward. These guys can't tell you exactly what you will be running, so don't ask. I've driven 3 1993 Talon ES and all were very different in their own ways for speed. .

I'm no pro at this, but getting the hang of it. My tip to you is to pick up a Haynes manual and read about your car and do EVERY mod, besides block work, yourself. It will save you big time.

Now, bang for buck... easy.
1) Take out the whole AC unit... which means everything...
2) Out goes the power steering.
3) Then take out those balance shafts, keeping the front shaft stub of course so your oil pump can still oporate. Then use a weld kit to weld the other shaft hole closed. There are vfaqs on this. Just do it when you do a timing belt change.
4) Open up your air can with a custom CAI. Just make sure your mas is still hooked up somewhere on the intake pipe... preferably closer to the filter.
5) Port intake and exhaust manifolds.
6) Ahhh... for you lazy, unexperienced with the engine guys, take out the back seasts and seat belt assemblies back there.

With those mods being able to be done in a weekend or 2, you can take most, if not all n/a cars on the block.

timg, about the ac, not really a very good option for us, we aren't in canada...summers get quite toasty down here and it's a necessity. and who said anyhing about injectors?:confused:

JJay - "I was told also Port & Polish Head (1.0mm over)=10hp
1 G Auto Turbo Injectors (390cc) & Fuel Pump (140lph)=15hp
1 G 5spd Turbo Intake Cam =5hp"

Thats where it was said. But anyway, yeah Canada isn't always cold. In the summer for about 5 months of so, it's above 25 degrees Celcius up here. We don't live in igloos. ;)

Yeah TimG,

I don't know all the best "trick" mods for a 1st Generation DSM car. This thread was started to find out the best trick mods in more detail. I would like for someone to find all these mods and make one page that contains all the ideas so you could just click on that one page and be able to read everything on just 90-94 1g cars automatic and stick. Some guys really know their Sh%$. So I guess they get tired of repeating the same do this mod.....do that mod. No problem, I can understand this, but all of us don't know the best mods and someone should condense all the possibilities and for each generation DSM. The Tuning Guide page for 1G Non-Turbo Cars is a good starter, but since people know more specific mods,parts,prices we should make a page that shows the knowledge everybody has acquired. This would also stop people from asking the same questions everytime there is another Newbie in the forums. So far I am pretty pleased with the mods that I have found out, but we need more organization of these good ideas.
The search is good, but when I use it never really helps me out that well. Non-Turbo cars will never be as fast as Turbos, but what we want to do is make are cars fast for non-turbos. Maybe all the Turbo guys cannot appreciate this, but I am sure the Non-turbo guys can. Also all non-turbo guys don't want to use Nos or upgrade to Turbo set-ups. Just something to think about.:dsm:

This thread was actually more insulting than it was helpful. I think his name was LASERLX, dude your cracking on these guys but you're the one with a Mustang. Those things are the biggest pieces of sh!t that ford could make. I spank Cobras and Saleens every week in my GST. And as to the people that think auto's are slow.......sorry dude but the fastest cars in the world are autos cuz people cant shift fast enough to drive the damn things. If you insist that autos are slow PLEASE come race me.

984G634LIFE,

Your car sound awesome..................and I am sure it is. I would be proud to own it. I am used to disrespect because I own a non-turbo automatic, but with some more mods It will be good enough for me. Right now I need it to as Fast as a Probe GT or faster. That is the main car that races me that I can't seem to beat. A Probe GT 93-97 has a 24 valve V-6 with 164Hp and I think 145ft lbs. of torque. I get wasted by them too many times. If I could be as fast as they are in an automatic............... OMG that would be great. Maybe I am wishing on a star:confused:

I love the fact that my car is NA. I want it to be non-turboed and have the same power as a turbo, its just more fun

This is what I want to do to mine
K&N FIPK Intake - 130$ (best mod for your buck)
Custom 2.5'' exhaust system- $100
Turbo Intake Cam - $75 (with valve cover gasket)
Hypertech Chip- $300
After these Ill probably have about 165-180hp
Maybe List
Porting?
Nitrous?
take out A/C
take out seats

btw- what can be done as far as exhaust manifold goes? just a port?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back