The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Another No start problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Boooost

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2008
Airdrie, AB_Canada
hi guys,

I just recently finished rebuilding my 98 talon, and i had it running until now. when i tried to start it up the other day, the motor turned over but made a snapping noise (kinda like an electircal component shorting out). i tried again to start it but now all it does it turn over and no start. it only made the snapping noise the one time.

now i've checked for fuel pressure and thats good.

when i check for spark i checked each spark plug wire individual with the same spark plug. i did this in my garage with the lights off to see if theres is spark. I found on #1 and #3 spark plug wires there was spark and it was very bright and noticable. on #2 and #4 there was none to very little spark but the spark plug did arch off other metal components that it was close to. (my fualt for placing the spark plug that close)

the next thing i checked was resistance on the coil pack and it is within spec, however the only thing i would question is that the book says the temperature has to be around 70-80 degrees f when checking it, and the temp in my garage is maybe around 10-20 degrees. the average resistance is about 12,500 ohms.

One thing to keep in mind i did relocate the coil pack to my fire wall. and i just noticed that it sits not very far above my throttle cable. would it be possible that being so close to the throttle cable it shorted it out?
heres a pic of where it sits
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

anybody have any thoughts on why my car isnt starting? could it be the coil pack? or im i missing something else?

thank you for the help

Vern

Even though your coils measure out within spec. Try spraying a fine mist of water over them, try to start the car. That will at least rule out the coils if they have a crack in the housings. Your power transducer could also cause the same symptom.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back