The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

After 3 years, back to the 1/4 on the 14B

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil1320

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
What's up guys? Some of you may remember me, others not. Just wanted to let you know that I will finally get back to the strip within the coming weeks to hopefully after 6 trips to the strip, see the other side of 12.00 on the 14B turbo. Obviously, several have experienced the feat already. I have slipped from #1 in 2001 to #11 currently on the 14B all-time list. The previous set-up was a upgrade factory sidemount/550cc/2G MAF that netted the [email protected] pass. The best ET before those upgrades, in other words with no fuel control, stock I/C & pipes, injectors, etc. was [email protected], that was the number that I was able to hold the record with for about 8 months until the first 14b Powered DSM ran into the 11's. That same week I mustered "only" a 12.09. Anyway, a brief history.

The car has received a few changes since the last time it ran:

-ACT flywheel
-Driveshaft Shop driveshaft
-EVO front mount I/C
-FP Race Ex. Mani
-Fiber Hatch/Lexan window
-JIC coilovers
-Suspension Tech Rear Sway/Noltec Rear Sub bushings/DSS Rear Toe Eliminator

Car will be dynoed within the next few weeks, I'll keep you posted.

In case of any confusion: Motor is still all original at 80,600 miles. Still has balance shafts.

Compression is 1=150 2=148 3=155 4=160

Total race weight should come in at about 2600lbs.

Obviously, there will be a learning curve with launching due to the lack of inertia, Flywheel/Drive Shaft. Hopefully not too crazy.

Hypothetically, I should be able to run 11's now. But, I have never been one to speculate. The car was really lazy at the top of 3rd gear and on into 4th. Due to heatsoak, I think I was down into the 230 WHP range in the 2nd 1/8 mile. I'm not sure that I will make any MORE power with the new additions, but I hope to hold the power the car can generate ALL the way down the 1320.

What do you guys think? ET? Some people say definitely 11's, some say 11.5! I think that's gettin a little ahead of myself, but, who knows.

Thoughts, if any?

Phil Beers

Nice too see your back at it Phil, your car was an inspiration to me back in the day.

I'm going say somewhere around an 11.8 at 115

In 3 passes I hit 11s on a 16g. Some type of labtop tuning makes it so easy but a nice trany helps as well. I dont see a 14b in the 11s unless its way under on weight like yourself. The turbo just cant support the HP needed. At least get a B16g and not that comair hair dryer your running now. 14b? Guys still run them? WHY?

Thanks guys!!! Any number at or around those would be great!!! Will keep you all posted.

Phil Beers

In 3 passes I hit 11s on a 16g. Some type of labtop tuning makes it so easy but a nice trany helps as well. I dont see a 14b in the 11s unless its way under on weight like yourself. The turbo just cant support the HP needed. At least get a B16g and not that comair hair dryer your running now. 14b? Guys still run them? WHY?

Not real sure what to make of your post. HP needed? According to your HP numbers I'm 9HP short and I make more TQ than you on the 14B. So, I guess the question for you would be is why aren't you making 340+ like many 16G cars are? And, I have several turbos on the shelf, I haven't maxed the potential of the 14B yet, that's why I still run it. I'll stop there as I'm already off topic.

Phil

It's about time Phil! I remember reading posts from several 14b users about trying to get into the 11's this year (myself included) and I have yet to see any numbers from anyone. My excuse is this police academy I'm in that is taking all my time and money I would have devoted to the car. What kind of tires/rims are you running (too lazy to check mod list currently). As you know a lot depends on the launch and provided you get a good one I can see some high 11's going into the mids once you get it all figured out!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236131

i'd say 12th or more, LOL

edit: never mind, he did end up putting his time on dsmtimes, so your right, 11th is your current spot. It will be cool to see how low a 14b can go. unfortunately, as fast as a 14b managed to get itself down the track, it just DOESN'T feel fast on the street.

good luck tho

It's all in the driving. You will obviously be making more power this time around, so it shouldn't be a problem, assuming you can drive the hell out of the car. Car is setup very well (light and a drivetrain that can handle the power).

I'm stuck right where you are...12.0 at 113mph.. but i'm on a 16g... and still 93 octane:D

Hi Phil! Good Luck on your quest. It looks like you have some nice mods. A lighter drivetrain pulls much harder in the lower gears, I'm sure you'll like it.

You're estimated weight is 2600? I thought that's what it was last time? Are you compensating for personal weight gain? :)

Have you made any changes to the ecu? Standalone?

This is my type of tread, good luck on the new times. I will also be putting on a smaller 14b turbo to run. I will also like to see what I can pull out of my car.

Guys---thanks for all the posts and props..............

I will be running the car on October 19th. I am just about ready to dyno and get the car re-tuned with the Front mount.

Some of you guys running low 12's on the 14 with no weight reduction....wow...that's flyin, or some damn good tuning or both.

I still run my 16 X 7 Racing Hart CP-035 wheels that weigh in at about 10.6 lbs. My last race weight was 2685, so I'm thinking about 100 or so lbs. less with the fiber hatch, driveshaft, and flywheel.

Anyway, like I said before, thanks for the predictions, I hope one or all of you are right!!!

I've got some pics in the camera, so I'll finally get some shots up here of my jalopy....

Phil

Were's the 13g love.

I would like to see how far a 13g could go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back