The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

After 3 years, back to the 1/4 on the 14B

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't know why you would say this, but, maybe you are right. Although, Robert at FP was the one who suggested these cams along with some other little modifications for more power on the 14b. I guess I won't know until I install them.

Phil

I'm saying run the 11.99 or better on stock cams, to prove they will do 11's on a 14b.. then put in some real cams and run better times. So far your times have been on a bone stock motor, which is awesome. I agree the cams will definately help, but on stock cams it makes it all the more cooler.

I too just picked up some cams for next year, but would like to do xx.xx time on stock cams, but maintence is coming up and car is due with a timing belt soon, so I'll toss them in at the same time.

-Ryan

I don't know why you would say this, but, maybe you are right. Although, Robert at FP was the one who suggested these cams along with some *other little modifications for more power on the 14b*. I guess I won't know until I install them.

Phil
Other little mods for more power on the 14b? I'm curious! What did Robert have to say?

Fonz...........I have no plans to install the cams anytime soon, In fact I may switch up to the EVO 3 16 before I ever do cams at all. We'll see. I'm definitely going to see how quick I can run on the stock internals. But, now I've got to wait til next year, which pisses me off. I'm not into this new england weather crap anymore. I'm sick of the SEASONAL stuff and I don't like winter sports at all so this is the downer season for me and I pretty much hate leaving the house.

On another note, I'm not gonna lie and I may have said this elsewhere on the forums, I'm gettin sick of the drag racing stuff. It was fun years ago, but, now, I see it as the furthest thing from fun. I'm just doing this to prove a point or two(mainly to myself) and then I will most likely put the car on the road course full time or put it up for sale. I'm not into it like I once was and have alot more going on in life now then in past years, I mean, it took me three years to get back to the track and there was a two year break before, so, in 11 years of owning the car, I've actively raced it for 6 of them. Other guys in this hobby race a TON more than I have been able to. So, give me back those 6 years of seat time and test time and I'm sure my goals would have been met a long time ago. Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda. My attitude about it all changes all the time, its just which attitude will prevail in the end. I drove the car 26 miles in 2006, that says something to me right there. I'm just not as interested as I used to be. I was out riding bikes most of last summer, not racing the Talon. Times change.

Phil

I used stock cams when I ran an 11 with my 14b.
Actually the cams were a 1990 intake cam and a 2G exhaust cam. I didn't choose them, I got them out of a pile because I needed something to help me pass smog check. It's funny how things work out.

i thought the 2g cams weren't as strong/aggressive/big, whatever, as a 1g cam? also, i thought teh 1990 cams were the least aggressive of the 1g's? am i remembering wrong?
sorryto hijack....

good luck in your quest to the orignal poster.:thumb:

i thought the 2g cams weren't as strong/aggressive/big, whatever, as a 1g cam? also, i thought teh 1990 cams were the least aggressive of the 1g's? am i remembering wrong?
sorryto hijack....

You remember right, that's the general consensus. Although the 2G cam trades max lift for a little more duration. Either way it works.

The point was that getting max power out of a 14b setup doesn't take big mods. Some popular mods might even make the car slower with a 14b. The goal is to get all mods to match the same rpm range so they work together, then optimise them to make the powerband as broad as possible. Sometimes all it takes is the wisdom of knowing when to leave well enough alone, and when to attack a problem head on.

You remember right, that's the general consensus. Although the 2G cam trades max lift for a little more duration. Either way it works.

The point was that getting max power out of a 14b setup doesn't take big mods. Some popular mods might even make the car slower with a 14b. The goal is to get all mods to match the same rpm range so they work together, then optimise them to make the powerband as broad as possible. Sometimes all it takes is the wisdom of knowing when to leave well enough alone, and when to attack a problem head on.

ok at least i was right then. that makes sense then on a 14b to optimize it's midrange punch. i might try that on my 14b car that i'm putting together. i have all the different types of cams sitting around anyway and the head is apart right now...

Dave (pneumo) definately didnt choose those cams to make power on the 14b, he chose "stock" cams so he could pass smog, then the 14b fun started and he ended up making nice power and tuning/driving the car into the 11's!

Sorry...never saw this post. I'm still on the 14b, I went to the strip twice last October after not racing the car in 3 years. It wasn't too great as I had totally changed all of my suspension and some drivetrain parts. I was spinning real bad, sometimes when I shifted to second I was still blazing all four tires until I shifted to third.....It was pretty crazy, the car had made 337 lb.ft. at the ground the week before. I never ran better than a 1.79
60' time on either of the two days I ran the car. Therefore, I never went quicker than 12.02. Trap speed reached 115.57. 1/8 almost 92. More weight out for this year, and full slicks on 15's.

Phil

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back