The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

96gsx V.s 98 gsx same setup 98 wins wtf? HELLLLLLP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUPERECLIPSE757

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2004
Yorktown, Virginia
hello just looking for some help.....i have a 96 gsx ported 16g ported o2 housing, front mount ,stage three 6 puck clutch lightned flywheel ,no internals , greedy type s bov ,apexi 3inch downpipe all the way back , everything esle is stock ..............now my buddy has exactly the same thing on his 98gsx except the intake pipe that runs straight off the turbo is a hard pipe other than that its the same engine and same parts all the same ...............when we both run any amount of the same boost he walks me by car lenghts (its not the driver cause the same thing happens when we switch cars ) i do have a loud tick sound on my engine but not that loud,......... enough to hear it and i have a samll exaust leak out of the header manafold where 1 of the bolts broke off but like he gets great boost in his first gear me on the other hand its like come on gooooo......but i mean its not that bad he just gets it great on his first gear and i cant figure it out if there is some 1 with some suggestions please help :dsm: :thumb: thanx

hmmmm it sounds like the other car is a better driver....LOL j/k man... everyone i am the other driver... good luck on the help on here they know alot... lata bro :dsm:

The difference is the intake pipe. When I switched from the stock rubber intake to the injen intake it made first gear way faster. With the rubber intake I could not get posative boost, sometimes maybe 2psi. With the metal intake I could make 12psi. That's a big difference if you ask me.

herostar said:
The difference is the intake pipe. When I switched from the stock rubber intake to the injen intake it made first gear way faster. With the rubber intake I could not get posative boost, sometimes maybe 2psi. With the metal intake I could make 12psi. That's a big difference if you ask me.

Honestly i cant see a metal intake being the reason he lost. The open element filter is generally where you get your gains. Granted the rubber intake is a POS, i doubt thats the problem. Id agree w/ the boost leak theory or just general problems such as fouled plugs/clogged fuel filter etc etc.

I didn't mean that the intake alone was the reason he loses. I guess I didn't specifically point out that I was talking about the first gear. I was just quoting my own experience. I noticed a little difference in first gear. The others were about the same. Basically the first gear could be attributed to the intake pipe, along with any other problems.

Boost leaks would be my first guess... which includes getting that bolt replaced ASAP, and then checking for other leaks.

My 2nd guess would have to be, drivers skill but that is kinda eliminated at the same time because when u switch cars the same thing happens.

Which brings my last assumption of maybe some clutch or tranny issues in your car... If you arent mechanically inclined or know of anyone who is... do the obvious that u see and then if the problem still consists take it to one who knows more. Goodluck.

if you have an exhaust leak around your manifold then you might want to fix that. Check for boost leaks like everyone else said and how well is your car tuned vs his cars tune? also for god sake get some fuel mods done to the car before you go boosting like a mad man.....

i dont see what the problem is here.

Its one car length, not 30. It just goes to show that every car is different. Just because you have same parts doesn't mean cars will drive the same. Turn up the boost and smoke his ass.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back