The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

95 Engine in 98 Eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
I bought a full assembled spare engine for my Eclipse for 50 bucks. It came out that it's a 95, my car is a 98. I want to rebuild this engine for my turbo setup. I know there are differences between the years, like different coil plugs, but what do I have to change on the engine to make it run in my 98 Eclipse? Are there any weak points on the 95, or are there even stronger arguments to use the older engine for the build ( just like the 6bolt vs 7bolt 4G63)?

Since it's really hard to get 420a parts in Germany I have to get everything that shows up, so pls dont blame me for buying parts that won't fit in the first place.

Other then the above mentioned, I do believe all 420A's are the same.

More input, please.

I know there is a mechanical difference, but I can't find any information about it and if it is saver to use the 95 block than a 98 block.

nope, block is the same, only difference I have seen was 1 vacuum line (the one that runs over the valve cover, pre 95 cars don't use it) just swap over everything from the old block to the new one and enjoy!

As a note, the '95 model block has the main bearing tabs on the same side, which meant that service people wouldn't be able to easily see if they put the bearings in backwards if they weren't replacing them. 96-99 has opposite tabs.

The best block to use is the 1995 block, because you don't have to modify the block to use to upper bearing shells to get full grove mains to make a better oil system, and that is something you are going to want to make sure you protect that stroker crank.

The lightest block to use, if your conserned about weight is the 00-02 block. Chrysler removed the bosses for the crank case vents that were only used on a 95 SOHC blocks. This made those blocks 4 pounds lighter, but you have to have the block notched for the better bearings.

Sorry needed to add some things.

The ONLY difference is that 1995 blocks have "tabbed" crank bearings. This only matters when ordering parts for a rebuild. Other than that, you can drop it right in. Just use your original sensors and fuel rail.

The ONLY difference is that 1995 blocks have "tabbed" crank bearings. This only matters when ordering parts for a rebuild. Other than that, you can drop it right in. Just use your original sensors and fuel rail.

^^^^ That. I just put a 97 engine into my 95. The only differences are some of the sensor plugs and the fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail on a 95. So just use your fuel rail and sensors.

Use your 98 metal CAS. The 95 CAS is plastic and tends to get brittle over the years and break/leak oil. Some of the other notables were already mentioned.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back