The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

4g63T lifter upgrade 6 bolt 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamLaserRS

Probationary Member
Jul 28, 2021
Pine grove ca, California
Hey has anyone done a lifter up grade? Are 6g72 lifters an upgrade? I’ve been looking for a while now just out of curiosity, and idk if I haven’t been wording it right but I can’t find any info, and my friends with 6g72TT engines aren’t that interested in finding out.

Are 6g72 lifters an upgrade?
The same as 4g63. Nothing is special. The big bore lash adjuster is a revised version. Many people run the big bore ones now, but if you rev higher than usual and struggling with dropping rocker arms, the small bore ones may be better for you.

just don't mix up
3g lifters-- as in the 3rd generation of the lifter
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and

3g lifters -- as in lifters for a 3rd gen eclipse (4g64/6g74)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The same as 4g63. Nothing is special. The big bore lash adjuster is a revised version. Many people run the big bore ones now, but if you rev higher than usual and struggling with dropping rocker arms, the small bore ones may be better for you.
Why would the small bore lifters be beneficial in this scenario?

When I gave Yusef my old ones, he said that the small hole HLA's reduce the oil flow in the head and help keep the pressure up. But I may have misunderstood.

When I gave Yusef my old ones, he said that the small hole HLA's reduce the oil flow in the head and help keep the pressure up. But I may have misunderstood.
Indeed. In scenarios where you have increased oil pressure throughout the system (such as deleting balance shafts and not porting the oem relief valve etc.), it helps to keep volume in the head DOWN but pressure UP, by using the 1G small hole lifters. This way you don't starve the bottom end of oil volume as much especially during high revs like Hiroshi mentioned. Also just an FYI it's possible to mix the revised lower portion of the lifter (with bigger side orifice) and retaining the 1G top part with the smaller hole. Slightly reduces the chances of blockages if you suspect your oil galleys are contaminated/crusty.

As far as I know, 1g HLA at high rpm by aggressive cams/springs, is mechanically (plunger) more stable/has a better high-speed follow-up ability than 3 g's. And also like @steve said above, it would drop less oil into head.
I think, some high RPM (10,000+ RPM) people preferably use 1g HLA, besides solid. I had never had any issues with 3g HLA under 9,500rpm when I had though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back