The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 46g3t Manual crank turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drthorp

Proven Member
Oct 22, 2019
Trussville, Alabama
Been doing a some work on my '96 gsx (timing, water pump, crank/cam front seals, etc.) and while turning my crank to align the timing marks and it wasn't really difficult to turn by any means but the was more resistance at some times than others. I have all the spark plugs pulled but I have the oil pump and timing belt installed. The car was running strong before I ever started taking it apart so if there is an issue, I might could catch it early, or is this sort of resistance normal? Note: I am lubricating the cams the best I can before turning the engine at all.

As the rotation comes to the point you are compressing valve springs, it will get more resistance while turning the crank over. That part is normal.

As the rotation comes to the point you are compressing valve springs, it will get more resistance while turning the crank over. That part is normal.
I figured that was part of it since the engine ran like a top literally like two weeks ago. Also When I do rotate the engine and just as I overcome this resistance (I guess where the valve springs are decompressing or whatever) I hear a small "whooo" sound like that of a empty bottle when you blow on it. I know in my g35 this noise is kind of normal based on acoustics with good compression, but is this a sign of worn rings or bent valves? Its a subtle sound and seems to be air driven, just curious to know if you've ever heard/diagnosed this sound before.

Yep, absolutely normal. Usually when assembling you first check if the crank rotates absolutely freely while just sitting in the girdle with a bit of oil and the bearings installed, no rods or anything attached. Then you try rotating it again once the rods/pistons are all in place, again to check for any problems. And the last step is to check how it all rotates once the head is on with valves/springs etc. As Marty said, there should be more resistance as some of the valve springs start to get compressed.

During all those 3 checks it's easy to determine if there's indeed a problem with the rotation of parts and any binding.

Even with the spark plugs out you will still have crankcase compression and that is what you are likely hearing, the air moving between the bottom end and the top end.

Quick question...the oil pump sprocket has a small circle on it that looks like a timing mark of some kind, but in the manual it looks like there is supposed to be the actual timing mark on the other side of the sprocket (180 degrees off of the circle mark). Just wondering If maybe there used to be a mark that wore away or if the actual indented circle(dot) marking is supposed to be lined up with the timing mark... I can get pictures if im being unclear.

Get us a picture so we are sure. My oil pump sprocket has a small triangle on it only, for the timing mark. I have all 1g 6 bolts though.

Here’s what I’m working with. Just a little confused as to why I’m seeing different things. This is the 96 service manual and everything...

Attachments

• E3BD1B3B-B12E-4D49-8BC8-4E3B8E543190.jpeg
    E3BD1B3B-B12E-4D49-8BC8-4E3B8E543190.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 63FE9284-D47F-4108-A0A2-3CBFEDD0EDDA.jpeg
    63FE9284-D47F-4108-A0A2-3CBFEDD0EDDA.jpeg
    859.6 KB · Views: 34
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back