The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G GSX Crank No Start (with Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NvrEndingProjectgsx

Probationary Member
Apr 16, 2019
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I know, I know, yet another crank no start post :cry: but my buddy needs help. Anyway long story short I just created this account for my buddy because he's dealing with a crank no start issue and sent me a video asking what the problem could be and after going over a "possible problems" check list with him, I don't know what else to tell him. The car is a 1999 gsx with a "built" 6 bolt motor. BS deleted, new clutch, flywheel, starter, 255 fuel pump, AFPR, hx35 turbo, Dsmlink v3 with Speed Density, etc.. Anyway he said the car had been running fine, but over the weekend he got home turned it off and a couple of hours later was getting ready to head back out, and it wouldn't start. I had him check spark, fuel, timing and he said they all checked out. I then had him check the CAS and he swapped it out with another one and still nothing. I then asked for a video because I wanted to get a better idea of whats going on and he sent me the video below. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is "no crank no start".
Seems the flywheel ring gear or/and bendix got worn out or have some broken teeth . Or maybe just the starter bolts got loose. Anyways looks like the bendix is not engaging the flywheel ring gear well. So should check that.

I'm with DSMPT in saying definitely something to do with the starter. I would also check voltage to battery and starter/ connection to starter. Also if he still has the old starter and it worked try swapping it out since its an easy swap. I've had new starters crap out before if its a cheapy.

Ok thanks guys, sometime this week I'm gonna be taking the starter off my Talon and heading over there with it to swap it on to his car and we'll go from there. He had said it sometimes will start up if he kept trying but when it did it sounded rough and died almost immediately so that's another problem we'll have to deal with, hopefully I can get some video of that and post it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back