The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420a to 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sullbren17

Proven Member
Nov 29, 2012
Chadron, Nebraska
I have a 420a in my 96 eclipse I have a talon tsi completley stripped excepts the motor and harness mounts etc I did some lookin around and I don't see a thread on HOW to do the swap. I know it takes skill and such and a lot of fabrication. But so far the problems I run into when I try to plot this out is where exactly to put the mounts without any issue. So my thought exactly was to measure the mounts on the talon and cut and weld to the eclipse I thoughtthat would take care of that but I thought about the radiatorand the shift linkage is differentand the cross member and exaugst. Anyone have done this before would he great to have a real tech article on how to do this
I know you need...
4g63 motor and transmission
Cross member and mounts
Ecu and wireing harness
And axels
I know if you have the mounts wrong it will throw out the transmission
And what tools you need for the job and any article to show this will make the 4g63 swap more realisic.

I have a 420a in my 96 eclipse I have a talon tsi completley stripped excepts the motor and harness mounts etc I did some lookin around and I don't see a thread on HOW to do the swap. I know it takes skill and such and a lot of fabrication. But so far the problems I run into when I try to plot this out is where exactly to put the mounts without any issue. So my thought exactly was to measure the mounts on the talon and cut and weld to the eclipse I thoughtthat would take care of that but I thought about the radiatorand the shift linkage is differentand the cross member and exaugst. Anyone have done this before would he great to have a real tech article on how to do this
I know you need...
4g63 motor and transmission
Cross member and mounts
Ecu and wireing harness
And axels
I know if you have the mounts wrong it will throw out the transmission
And what tools you need for the job and any article to show this will make the 4g63 swap more realisic.

Before cutting apart two good cars, you should strongly consider just putting the tsi together and using that car. If the shell is bad, you again should strongly consider just buying a turbo model. There is a reason why there is no tech article on this. It has been discussed many times that this swap is not worth the time/effort/money etc.

The talon had no drive train. I want the eclipse for sentimental value. I've seen the disscussions for it I have the 4g63 mounts and such. It was that or buy a new 420a but I can't find one for a reasonable amount.

The talon had no drive train. I want the eclipse for sentimental value. I've seen the disscussions for it I have the 4g63 mounts and such. It was that or buy a new 420a but I can't find one for a reasonable amount.

Trust me, I understand what you're saying. If you want to go for it, they're your cars! I don't know the details of the swap, I'm sure its been done once or twice before, but its definitely not common, so I will be of no further help here. Good luck!

There is a write up for this. I can't seem to find it either. But he had to cut apart large sections of the frame and weld them in.

He documented literally the whole process.

Gosh your on a roll, first the evo 8 head, standard sized pistons with .020 over rings, now this..LOL WTF This isn't just an average thing to do (why almost all haven't done it). You couldn't get your motor running correctly at that point, what makes you think this is even an option for you? I may be coming off as a royal d#ck but the truth hurts.

If I also remember correctly, you have a engine that hasn't been bored or anything. Why don't you just correctly rebuild that and call it a day? I agree the money to do this will outweigh this swap then just doing a rebuild.

Also, where is the sentimental value in this..? -
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The fun I had with my freinds was the sentimental valu and I want the HP the 420a can't standi ithe eclipse is repainted all black when I'm in black hawki Il take a picturebut the 420a seems hard to find compared to 4g63 and everyone loves the 4g63 I don't think I said anything about EVO heads? And ithe 4g63 seems to be cheaper to find then a 420a anyway cheapest I found that had non damaged internals was 1200 and I could pick up a 4g63 for 400. And I already have the 4g63 I've been getting there with the car I layed off on the performance and I did my interior new carpet new headliner new gauges Ned gauge cluster hot rod institute did fiberglass door panels for me awhile back. I fiberglassed my side skirt and I got my hood replaced and renders bondoed and the awfull spoiler is gone and painted jet black with a blue clear coat. Next is my trunk gonna do carbon fiber and batter braket. Then as soon as I'm done I want to get on the performancebut like I said I want the 4g63 for what it is easy parts seem more avalible when someonehears you looking for a new motor they already assume its a 4g63. And when you say 420a sad to say but they sigh with dissapointment. But I'm alomost to my performance step build is going great tho. I want to bring the swap more to life instead just saying I'm thinking about doing it if I can get some sort of instructions I got the goodies to do the job but I need to know how to do it.unless I have a magic 420a fall from the sky with forged pistons and rods and all that fun stuff but everyone including myselfbthing 4g63 is the way to go

The fun I had with my freinds was the sentimental valu and I want the HP the 420a can't standi

Yeah, the 4g63 is better for making power. But the FWD platform in general is a giant PITA to get moving above 500hp anyways. So why not get something with a 4g63 and more than 2 drive wheels? AKA a GSX/TSi AWD.

And ithe 4g63 seems to be cheaper to find then a 420a anyway cheapest I found that had non damaged internals was 1200 and I could pick up a 4g63 for 400.

Whoever is selling either of those engines is joking themselves. I've purchased running 4g63's and 4g64's for $50. Why would anyone pay more? It's a potentially useless hunk of iron, not a built race engine. If your looking for a 420a to build, who cares if it has damage. Buy a blown one and rebuild it yourself.

But if your stuck on doing the swap, be ready to hack the frame rails off the donor car and weld them into the new car. The best conversion I've ever seen is here: ESi + 4G63 + AWD + Evo 8 + HE351VE = Project Warface - Page 4 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

Here's a couple pics from that thread to give you an idea of what your up against.

Last edited:
Wow I'm not sure what to even say here. Sullbren please use better grammar it's hard to follow you man. If you can't find a block Then do a 2.4 liter block and the 420a head, it's alot easier then doing a 4g63 swap. You can find a 2.4 block in alot of Stratus and pt cruisers. Which you can find those very easy for about $150 for just the block at any junk yard. Modern performance sales a kit for 1500 and it makes everything drop right into the 420a. They use srt bottom end parts Then you build your head and put it on. I know 420a blocks are hard to come by in certain area's but 70% of 2g eclipse cars were the 420a the other 30% are gst/gsx so the parts are out there. Obviously your search skills lack big time because YouTube and Google have all the info to do a 4g63 swap but I strongly recommend to go the 2.4 swap route Then what you think is better. You will spend 5k easy and still have a stock turbo'd eclipse. Front wheel drive or not the horse power to money ratio does not work out in your favor. You could swap a 2.4 get megasquirt and a good Turbo for 5k and make more Then 210hp. But it's all up to you just my 2 cents.

Wow I'm not sure what to even say here. Sullbren please use better grammar it's hard to follow you man. If you can't find a block Then do a 2.4 liter block and the 420a head, it's alot easier then doing a 4g63 swap. You can find a 2.4 block in alot of Stratus and pt cruisers. Which you can find those very easy for about $150 for just the block at any junk yard. Modern performance sales a kit for 1500 and it makes everything drop right into the 420a. They use srt bottom end parts Then you build your head and put it on. I know 420a blocks are hard to come by in certain area's but 70% of 2g eclipse cars were the 420a the other 30% are gst/gsx so the parts are out there. Obviously your search skills lack big time because YouTube and Google have all the info to do a 4g63 swap but I strongly recommend to go the 2.4 swap route Then what you think is better. You will spend 5k easy and still have a stock turbo'd eclipse. Front wheel drive or not the horse power to money ratio does not work out in your favor. You could swap a 2.4 get megasquirt and a good Turbo for 5k and make more Then 210hp. But it's all up to you just my 2 cents.

How much fabrication do you do to make the 2.4 work?

I'm sorry about grammer and spelling I'm typing on a phone. When I search the stuff for it its just the disscussion to do it or not. Most threads are debate on what's better and its not the info I'm looking for.

Well when you read some threads they are trying to inform and help, sometimes you wont get a exact answer but when others ask for input you get what you get.

Try 2gnt.com. Much better in the nt to turbo conversion area. Also has a lot of talk on the 2.4 cloud car swap. Honestly the 420a has a good bit of potential, just costs more than buying a gst, so most people opt for the gst.

On the swap point, if you're going to spend that kind of money to swap in an engine your car was never intended to have, why not opt for a bigger, meaner engine?

I think I'm gonna do this 2.4 swap I know you need to do fabrication like the front motor mount the bell housing is the Sam the oil pan and radiator is a problem

For the 2.4 swap call modern performance because they have kits I heard. They come with the motor mounts and oil pan. Modified to fit.

I looked on there site u can't get a kit for it butbyou can buy the front mount and alternator braket no oil pan unless u pay 1500 for a bottom end rebuild kit.

Well what I read on the 4g63 swap people done allign the motormounts right and end up blowing out cc axles transmissios and all that with the 2.4 you don't have that much fabrication and more likely having a proper running car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back