The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2nd gear grind [Merged 7-7] grinding shift shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwheelspin

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
cinciOhio
Its getting cold here, and it seem that im grinding going into second when the car is not warmed up all the way.Does anyone else have this problem or is it my syncos going out???

My '92 N/T 2.0L had 1 to 2 grind problems since she was new off the lot back in, :D 1992.

I've yet to need to replace the transmission.

She's been with me for over 130K miles.

I've tried just about any and all oils for her. Found that she tended to do really well on BG when I used to live in Georgia and Maryland. Since moving up to Ohio and having to endure much colder winters, I've found that Redline MTL did wonders for the winter, and since have been changing the transmission fluid 2X per year based on climate.

Still, she'll grind going from 1 to 2 on any day when the weather dips below 40 deg. F., but once she's warmed up, no problems at all.

Double-clutching can be your friend. :thumb: It's my way to deal with this persistent characteristic of my '92 N/T.

-A
:dsm: / :talon:

same with me. Double clutching seems to be the only thing that works well. I starting to get real good at it. ROFL

Double clutching is just when you literally pump the clutch twice right? That way the synchros line up better. I don't know if that's right, correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

my 2nd gear has been grinding since i got the car which was about 3-4 months ago. new tranny fluid and it still does it. recently its gotten worse, but only when its warmed up. Im sure its the syncro's. Every once in awhile it will shift fine. I usually skip 2nd and hit 3rd when im cruising cause I dont race. :nono:

I had the same problem with my TRE transmission all double synchros... when it was semi cold out 2nd gear wouldnt want to stay locked in...about 4 months later the bellhousing cracked... doing 55mph in 5th gear about 2200 rpms....i dunno WTF happen...hopefully tongiht ill drop the tranny and send it back to TRE... funny thing is i nurse the shit outta my 2g

Transmission parts usually break due to incorrect tolerances, improper lubrication, speed shifting and exceeding the designed torque capacity.

Basically if it's just grinding, you'll be just fine for a very long time - maybe 100K miles or more if you take care of it and do what you can to keep it from grinding (shift slowly when cold, double clutch, try not to downshift to that gear.) It'll annoy the shit out of you, but it's very unlikely it'll fail. Synchronizers are made of brass, and they wear out - it happens. The gears quite a bit tougher, however.

If you're grinding and powershifting all the time, yes, then you'll probably break or bend a shift rail or wear/damage your gears.

Just use common sense, and you'll be good. :D

My tranny grinded from day one i bought my dsm. I used that tranny for about a year and a half. I changed the fluid twice, changed the bushing on the tranny and underneath the shifter and it still didn't fix the problem.. I used 2nd gear all the time sometimes it grinded and sometimes it didn't. :mad: I powerhifted in to 2nd most of the time that i was racing and the tranny still held up.I finally changed the tranny around nov. of last year so the grinding tranny never gave up.It was getting worse at the end though it kept popping out of 2nd whenever i was taking turns so u never know, u can probably drive your car around for a while before it gives up.

I have a 91 Awd Tsi and its always had problems downshifting into second, sometimes it would grind and not go into gear, it used to only do this going down into second occasionaly but now it does it in 2nd 1st and recently 3rd, in order of frequency. I have been told by numerous people that its my synchros, I would just like to verify and ask if there is a fix (new synchros?) and how easy it would be.

Even if you found a used transmission there is a good chance that the synchronizers are bad or that they while be bad soon. It is a very common problem with 1g DSMs. You are better off getting it fixed and using heavy-duty synchronizers for 2nd gear.

To try to fix your problem you could first try to put in some better transmission fluid. Synchro Shift worked great for me, go can get it from Machv.com. I think it is only like $15. Chances are that you synchro is going out on you though. You can probally prolong the life of it until you can get it fixed by either revving up the RPM's more in 1st gear and then shifting right to 3rd, or it helped me to avoid the grind if i slowly put it into second gear. These are most likely not permenant solutions, but should help you until you trade it in or get it fixed. Good Luck

Well my 2nd gear grinds too but only when I am driving fast. Cruising around it does fine. If I am redlining it or racing it will grind going into 2nd.

Anybody tried Lucas oil?

I've tried Redline MT90, Penzzoil Syncromesh, and right now I have Redline MTL 75w80 in my tranny. The only difference I noticed was with the MTL, the weight is lower then recommended and I thought it would grind worse then before, but it's actually smoother. I'm not going to exaggerate like a lot of people do, but 2nd gear is the same. The grinding wasn't fixed but it requires me to shift a little faster into 2nd to grind as bad as it used to.

I would also say its your syncro and those fluids help the problem and prevent it from gettin worse for awhile but obviously it doesnt FIX it. just prevents it from gettin worse. before they had syncros, this is how you would shift: in gear, clutch pedal in and put in neutral, clutch out, clutch in and put in next gear. so i would say that would stop the grinding too but pretty annoying to have to do.

i have heard that mixing synchromesh and redline that it does wonders for shifting and the tranny. a few people around here have done it. i'm about to head to checker and get some redline and synchromesh also. good luck :talon: :cool:

Hey here is the deal I have a 98 eclipse gs-t. To start it out my clutch went out and I towed it to the Mitsu dealership where i got it to get it fixed. They replaced the slave and master cylinder. I got the car back and drove it and now it grinds when ever i shift into second. even when i down shift too. It only does it in 2nd gear no other ones. It will not do it if i'm sitting or bearly moving. Does anyone have any idea why it would do that? I brought it back to the dealership and they said it was already like that and it was my falut but it was never like that before. I need some help please.

Maybe it is more than just your clutch and master cylinder, how many miles on your car do you have, or better yet on the tranny, becuase the problem may lie in your tranny.

You might need a set of synchros, your only problem is that the dealership wont do anything about it because they dont want to take responisbility for that, anything that doesnt involve profit for them they will try to avoid, trust me I worked at one thats how they operate, unless you can strongly prove that your tranny used to never grind before you brought it to the dealership, then nothing can be done.

This may be due to improper disengagement. When doing the new hydrualics, you'll have to adjust your clutch pedal. This may or may not help, you'll have to try. There's an adjustment if you stick your head down by the firewall for the clutch on the inside... You can adjust the amount the rod pushes through into the master... ( hopefully, I'm transferring knowledge from other mitsu's....)

Anyways, adjust it, so it makes the stroke longer when you push the clutch in, and see if your grind goes away. If it does, try bleeding the system again, and if it still doesn't.. Then you need a 2nd gear synchro. Drop the trains, have a lunch, install the synchro, throw it back in, and eat dinner.

sounds like your 2nd gear synchro.
my vr-4 was like that....everytime i shifted (or down) to 2nd in a higher rpm...it would grind.
but it was ok at very low rpm.

pooya said:
sounds like your 2nd gear synchro.
my vr-4 was like that....everytime i shifted (or down) to 2nd in a higher rpm...it would grind.
but it was ok at very low rpm.

Yep thats what i think too..Sorry guys i forgot about this thread it goes to a different e-mail. LOL my bad but it my car has 90xxx miles on it. Is it a real pain to replace the synchros? i work in a shop so i have the room..but can it be done in like a day? Well if there is anyone in minnesota that wants to help let me know! Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back