The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2nd gear grinding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin keener

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2008
sparta, Tennessee
My car has been grinding ever since I owned it. I looked and shifter cables, and have had a pro look at the tranny. Everything looks good, I got desperate and bought one of those extended rods for the slave, well taking the boot off fluid poured out. My question is, can a bad slave cause just 2 nd gear to grind?

My car has been grinding ever since I owned it. I looked and shifter cables, and have had a pro look at the tranny. Everything looks good, I got desperate and bought one of those extended rods for the slave, well taking the boot off fluid poured out. My question is, can a bad slave cause just 2 nd gear to grind?

A lot of 1gen transmissions like to grind into 2nd gear. My Talon does. It's usually because of a bad syncro. Which means new tranny or tranny rebuild.

yah it grinds all the time in 2nd, cold or hot. I had the synchros looked at he said they were fine, and had very little wear, was his exact words.

What? So you had a "professional" look at your entire transmission to tell you its completely fine along with the shift cables/linkage and it still grinds into 2nd?

If you haven't tried it yet I would recommend adding some GM Syncromesh to your fluid. This stuff really worked good for me on two different DSMs which I owned and had just plain fluid and didn't shift worth a shit. Especially the 1-2 shift. After putting the syncromesh in and driving for a few days I started to notice an improvement. And the longer I drove the better it got until it shifted like butter in all gears. That's just my experience and my opinion and something to think about if you haven't tried anything like that yet.

If you haven't tried it yet I would recommend adding some GM Syncromesh to your fluid. This stuff really worked good for me on two different DSMs which I owned and had just plain fluid and didn't shift worth a shit. Especially the 1-2 shift. After putting the syncromesh in and driving for a few days I started to notice an improvement. And the longer I drove the better it got until it shifted like butter in all gears. That's just my experience and my opinion and something to think about if you haven't tried anything like that yet.

I want some! Where did you buy yours from?

Sorry to jack, but changing your fluid should help.

You can get it at any GM dealers parts dept. It is called GM Syncromesh and it comes in a small bottle (less than a quart), but I don't know the part #. Most parts guys should know what your talking about. Just make sure is says "for manual transmissions and transaxles" on the bottle. Just drain a little trans fluid (or change it all) and just add the whole bottle of syncromesh.;)

Sorry, but this is pretty bad advice. It is commonly known that Syncromesh is far too thin of a gear oil to run in our transmissions and expect the synchros to live for any reasonable amount of time. Here is a link for those who don't want to take my word on it. Recommended Transmission Oils- Team Rip Engineering

While it has been found that the Synchromesh/Synchroshift type oils can sometimes improve the effectiveness of the synchronizers, allowing for faster shifts at higher rpms, this oil does not have enough film strength to ensure the longest gear and bearing for the Mitsubishi transmissions that live behind a high torque engine.

The same information can be found on Shep's site. I recommend running Redline MTL, as per the instructions on TRE's site.

If you run straight Syncromesh, yeah it's probably too thin and would cause problems, but if you add only a small bottle to the rest of the fluid that's already in there should be no reason why it would cause any negative effects. I'm not saying to use GM syncromesh ONLY, I'm saying to put in a small bottle and give it a try. I just know that I have used it in my cars before and before and after using it is like night and day. And both the transmissions I used it in performed very well till I got rid of the cars with over 150k miles on them both.

If you run straight Syncromesh, yeah it's probably too thin and would cause problems, but if you add only a small bottle to the rest of the fluid that's already in there should be no reason why it would cause any negative effects. I'm not saying to use GM syncromesh ONLY, I'm saying to put in a small bottle and give it a try. I just know that I have used it in my cars before and before and after using it is like night and day. And both the transmissions I used it in performed very well till I got rid of the cars with over 150k miles on them both.

Should I just buy one bottle of the stuff? I add the whole thing correct? How much did it cost you for a single bottle of it?

If you absolutely want to add some in there, don't add more than 1 bottle. Personally I would run straight Redline MTL. If that doesn't solve your shifting issues, then your trans most likely needs a rebuild. Putting synchromesh in there is more of a band aid than a permanent solution.

If you absolutely want to add some in there, don't add more than 1 bottle. Personally I would run straight Redline MTL. If that doesn't solve your shifting issues, then your trans most likely needs a rebuild. Putting synchromesh in there is more of a band aid than a permanent solution.

PM'd

well here is an update, I rebuild the slave cylinder and bled the clutch,but still grinds in second. I drained old fluid and added two quarts of pennzoil synchromesh. The past couple of days, however I have noticed a change in the grinding. Meaning six out of ten times I can get in second gear with little or no grinding, but it has to be babied in order for it to work. This is not my daily driver, so I have not driven it to much, but I hoping maybe the more I drive it maybe the grinding will slowly go away.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back