The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2nd gear grind [Merged 7-7] grinding shift shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwheelspin

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
cinciOhio
Its getting cold here, and it seem that im grinding going into second when the car is not warmed up all the way.Does anyone else have this problem or is it my syncos going out???

Thanks alot...so you say it may not be a worn out syncro yet just a new oil change?

I have a 92' eclipse that I just bought private sale. The day I bought it everything was fine, shifted through all the gears beautifully. A day later it started to grind into second pretty badly, and it was hard to get into all the other gears. I replaced the master cylinder on the clutch and that made it alot easier to get into the gears, but it did not get rid of the grind into second. It will go right into second w/o grinding when you arent moving. As soon as your going over 10 mph it will grind when you go into second. Do you guys think my 2nd gear synchro is gone? Thanks for any help!!

it very well could be.. to tell you the truth, iv'e never heard of another gear syncro go bad on a dsm, then the 2nd gear.... but the other gears are fine?...no grind.

Ya, all other gears are fine, except it has done it in 4th only a couple times over the past 5 days. It grinds in second all the time, cold or warm, it doesnt matter if your going from 1st to 2nd or downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

i'd say its ur synchro.. try doing this.... before u shift into 2nd... roll the shifter side to side, in nuetrul, then put it in 2nd. helped one of my buddie's out.. but eventually had to get it replaced. it stoped the grind.. untill needed replaced. HTH let me know.

Alright, I just got back in from driving it. If you roll the shifter side to side before you go into second it doesnt grind. You have to roll it side to side hard and fast then go into second. If you dont do it hard enough then it will still grind. If your turning onto a street and go from 3rd and roll the shifter like that then go into 2nd it still grinds every time.

hmm.. the best thing is to not make it grind...obviously.. so do what ever it takes.. 3rd - N thru turn - 2nd.. if needed. just givin u some idea's. if its ur DD.

What is DD? Do you think it could be a shifter adjusment? Why would rolling the shifter let it go in without grinding?

DD - daily driver..

roll - just a term... how about "move".

i think what it does. is gets it out of gear fully.. (don't quote me on this).

and then allows you to go into second. with no problem... try waiting a second or two, while your shifter is in neutral than go into second.

It will go in if you wait a second or two. Sometimes it will just make a small clunk noise but it wont grind. You can go from 1st to 3rd to avoid it though. I put Redline Synthetic tranny fluid in it to see if that would help and it didnt do anything. I tried adjusting the shifter linkages that didnt help. Im gonna get some quotes from some tranny places and see what I come up with. I want to have it fixed and sell it, and buy the turbo version.

I have the same problem what works for me is if i put it up into first with the clutch in then straight down to second to lign the gear up and let the rpms slow u down keeps it aligned alot better or when u are coming from first to second mine does it sometimes but if u hold it towards the bottom of the shifter and double clutch it real quickly to drop your rpms goes in like butter.. but i have a gsx and i cant race anymore if i do i have to just throw it right in past the grind dont think that is to good though

Yeah there can be many problems that I've read about because my 2G has this problem as well. I try to remedy it by just not revving that high in 1st gear. If I shift at 2k going to 2nd it will 90% of the time go in without grinding. If the rpms are a little higher then I usually just wait a second in neutral and put it in slowly. That also works for then driving hard but it will delay you a bit.

to hopefully quiet it down, I ordered my shifter base bushings and underhood bushings. Should be getting it soon. I'm gonna adjust my shifter cable at the shifter, buy a b+m short shifter, and change my tranny fluid again, this time to Pennzoil Syncromesh. I tried Redline-MTL90 but I noticed no difference whatsoever. You might end up seeing a difference though it seems to vary for some reason.

So do whatever you can do to perhaps quiet the noise down or make it so that it's not so bad, that is, if you don't have the money for a new tranny. I've heard of people getting theirs built by bmtranny.com or by teamshepard (I think that's what its called). I think they start at around $1k. Not bad but I'll probably do that in the future.

Hey, I have the same exact problem. No other gears grind but second. I'd usually just skip it and go straight to 3rd and/or put it in second when I stop and take off with it in 2nd. But now I double clutch it everytime and seems to work really well. What I would do first before I drive the car is I'd move the shifter around, through all gears. It works for me....for now.

Live2Ride250R said:
Do you guys think my 2nd gear synchro is gone? Thanks for any help!!

I can almost guarantee it's the synchro rings. I have the same exact problem with 90 talon AWD TSi. To replace the synchro rings, you'll have to drop the tranny. I'll be doing that in a few weeks. I had this problem before, when the vehicle had 90,000 miles. I now have over 176,000 miles, so it's due for synchro rings replacement.

I notice when im at any speed above 15 mph and I down shifting into 2nd gear it grinds? like bad I guess (well any gear grind is bad) I know that 1gs have some typical problems with things is this one of them? and its a 1990 brand new tranny no more than 2k miles on it thanks

Jon

Your clutch might not be engauge the gears properly. Make sure to use a good brand of tranny flui (penzoil or BG) and check to make sure you slave cylinder push rod is extending far enough to engauge the clutch fork properly. A good indication of imporper engaugment is if your clutch grabs right off the floor.

my_gst95

well it doens exactly grab right off the floor it has about 1.5-2 inches before it grabs

I know a lot of people get a 2nd gear grind on a tranny when it is starting to get old. I have tried synchromesh and it worked a little but it still grinds pretty bad when it is cold outside and I haven't driven a lot. My question is for anyone who has had this problem, How long did your tranny last for after it started to grind into second gear?

how long it will last will vary completely. The thing that will kill the tranny is all the shavings floating around in there from everytime you grind 2nd. If you were to flush the trans VERY GOOD and refill it with fresh fluid to get all the shavings out of there and then just skip 2nd gear it will last a lot longer than on the same trans just not doing anything and to just continue driving it. It all depends on how often you grind and how many chips or shavings are floating around in there and where they go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back