The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Grinding When Shifting Into 2nd Gear!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HybridTercel

Probationary Member
Dec 4, 2005
Miami, Florida
I have been noticing a grinding noise when shifting into 2nd Gear.
Could it be just not enough gear oil or something worse.
4G63 motor and tranny in a 96 Toyota Tercel.

That's a DSM tranny for you. Just shift slow into 2nd before everything gets warmed up but yes check your fluids.

I have tried holding the clucth for a couple seconds before shifting and i still get the grind, when i am upshifting or down shifting. Could my DSM tranny be damaged?

Pure92TSi said:
That's a DSM tranny for you. Just shift slow into 2nd before everything gets warmed up but yes check your fluids.
Pure92TSi is completely right, that's just the way DSM's are, you'll have to live with it. Switching to synthetic fluid helps a little, but not much.

BG snycroshift or Pennzoil snycromesh (which is much cheaper than the BG) will help out alot.

wait until the car warms up but even after that shift into second slowly if you do it like you normally do it will grind even if you hold the clutch down for a bit longer

ok, correct me if im a complete newb. but a 4g63 in a tercel????

what i do to eliminate the grind into 2nd is just touch the gas while shifting, just to maintain some throttle.. this pretty much will eliminate the problem

I definitely appreciate all the advice, i was thinking i was gonna have to get my transmission repaired or have the syncro replaced.

I will also try to post some pics of my car.

Before going with 4g63 setup i went through about 3 turbocharged starlet ### spec 1.3L motors. www.turbotercel.itgo.com Mine is the White Tercel. The blue one is my brothers(which he wrecked trying to keep up with a 2g Eclipse on I-95).

my 2nd gear grinds pretty bad too if i go into it too fast. What i do to prevent this is when going from first gear, i put it in neutral, then slowly go into 2nd but don't force it until i feel it "catch" the gear.

Hey man, put of some picks of the car as well as some details of the swap. I had a 94 Paseo and was about to attempt to swap either a 3SGTE or a supercharged 4AGE. I bought the eclipse instead.

But like everyone else says, the tranny grind going into 2nd is normal.

jastermerrel said:
Hey man, put of some picks of the car as well as some details of the swap. I had a 94 Paseo and was about to attempt to swap either a 3SGTE or a supercharged 4AGE. I bought the eclipse instead.

But like everyone else says, the tranny grind going into 2nd is normal.

LOL it's definatley not normal. Common. But not normal.

Yea, I am another victim of 2nd gear grind
its the syncro
what I do, is take my time shifting into gear...
after 1st I put in the clutch and put the shifter right on the top of 2nd gear till I feel the gear open up, and it sort of of falls into place

I HATE IT WHEN IT GRINDS!
LOL

Wouldn't double clutching help the problem? Cuz I cant even get into second at all unless I double clutch and it goes it pretty smooth when I DO get it in. ROFL

the same grinding thing happens to me but only when the car is still cold and push in the clutch and quickly put it in first gear. if i push in the clutch and pause 3 seconds anf put it in first its fine.

Once again thanks for all the advice, I did not realize this was happening to anybody but myself. Well I feel much better now and will get some pics posted soon. I just pulled the motor out of the car to put in new motor mounts and motor is getting a Metal Head Gasket installed. Will post pics the day motor gets back in the car.

Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back