The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2nd Gear Grinds when shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMRyan

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2005
Lacrosse, Wisconsin
When I shift to 2nd gear it grinds a little, nothing major but it's annoying. However, when I shift very slowly theres no grind at all. Anyone got ideas to reduce the grind or help it a little? (Don't say shift slow... :cool: )

sounds like the synchro could be gettin worn out. Or your clutch needs adjusting or it is also going bad.

It's probably your clutch. In my 2g it would always grind in 2nd when gettin on it, but when shifting normally it was fine. I got a new clutch and a tranny full of syncromesh and now no grinds what so ever :thumb:

Welcome to a stock dsm tranny where the gear ratio from first to second is off the wall far apart. Thats why with every tranny rebuild shepherd racing replaces the 2nd gear with a different one that he made. Besides trying different tranny fluid, an aluminum fly wheel helps by leting the motor's RPM's drop much faster so the shafts speeds are better matched which will allow quicker shifting.

Welcome to a stock dsm tranny where the gear ratio from first to second is off the wall far apart. Thats why with every tranny rebuild shepherd racing replaces the 2nd gear with a different one that he made. Besides trying different tranny fluid, an aluminum fly wheel helps by leting the motor's RPM's drop much faster so the shafts speeds are better matched which will allow quicker shifting.

hey i have the same problem going into 2nd with my 2g now assuming the synchro is bad how much would it cost to get it fixed? although would the fact that i have to push the clutch pedal to the floor for the clutch to actually disengauge be a contributing factor?

sorry i asked i should have seached first i just got all excited because i have had the same problem... thanks anyways

Its not the parts that will kill your wallet, only the labor. I'd try pennzoil syncromesh as already stated - could be the cheap way out, see if that helps. SHIFT SLOWER. If no other gears grind like that then its most likely your syncros - someones been beating on their tranny! stock trannys are very weak in my own opinion... when I got my 2G I had to rebuild the tranny right away because the owner before me shifted like a bat-outa hell... thats driving a... car?... (didn't know where I was going with that one...) Either way it was second gear (started out grinding at 5K, even shifting at 'normal speeds') within afew weeks it was grinding at 3K and I had to shift like a granny to get into second without grinding...

Yes definatly try some good synthetic in there. I used redline and it helped a ton.

yeah i think the guy who had the car before me pretty much sucked at driving and taking care of the car.... when i bought it it had two collisions one i didnt know about until recently and its all scuffed up on the back right and there are holes on the interior in places that i have no idea why they would be there like in the glove box :confused: and there was like no oil, clutch fluid.... pretty much no liquids and he probably did beat on it because the car got reposessed from him.... which was probably a good thing to get the car away from such a careless owner.....(sorry for the novel guys....)

I don't think its the clutch because it's brand new, but I'll try some syncromesh and see if it helps, thanks. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back