The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2nd Grinds when downshifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noplaymaker

Probationary Member
Jul 17, 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
Posted because I didn't see a post specific to my issue. My shifter is a little loose but I have all new shifter bushings coming next week to hopefully help the issue, Basically, when I'm turning corners and normally downshifting to 2nd gear it grinds, unless I slow down enough and it smoothly goes in. Any ideas on what it can be besides synchronizer? Anything I can do to fix it? Bushings? some sort of fluid? Bleeding? Thanks!

Try some synchromesh. I've heard a lot of good about it ..as long as your pretty much at stock power level. And make sure the clutch is adjusted properly too. Mine was dragging a little causing grinds. I have a heavy pressure plate though. Hope that helps.

I forgot to say. Jacks transmissions has a video on YouTube on how to properly adjust the master cylinder for the most travel, it's really helpful. Also Check to make sure there are no leaks at the master or slave cylinder or in between. Bleeding it wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

Check for clutch drag. If it drags adjust the master cylinder. If you still have the problem chances are it's your synchros. I've heard good things about the amsoil synchromesh so give it a try too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back