The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

3rd gear grinding when shifting fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music4life

Probationary Member
Sep 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I really hope you guys can help out...here's the scenerio:

1995 eclipse GST
when shifting fast from 2nd to 3rd gear at any rpm higher than 3k the gear grinds before it goes in. the higher the rpm the worse the grinding. i push the clutch all the way down and i don't have any other problems in any of the other gears. i have an act 2600 clutch and have never had a problem until about a month ago when my friend grinded really hard when dropping it into 3rd. what do you think is going on? any help would be greatly appreciated!

When I bought my GST I only got 50 miles on it before the tranny shit. Mine was doing the same thing yours is doing. The final verdict on mine was the shift fork bent and broke and I ended up stuck in third. You could move the shifter through what felt like all the gears but it would'nt engage any of them. If I let the clutch out it would want to go, but you try starting in third and see how easy that is. I hope that isnt what happened to you. I just replaced the whole tranny.
mike :dsm:

P.S. Please complete your vehicle profile

thanks for the reply, im new to the dsm thing so ignore my ignorance. is it possible to get the shift fork fixed before it goes preventing having to replace the entire tranny?

btw that was my first post, ill get my profile up soon...i have a decent amount of mods just needed an fmic and new turbo.

BigBADGSX said:
shift fork, syncros....could be alot of different things. What trans fluid are you using? How old is your slave?
If its only into third i doubt its slave....
Well anyways.....
My money is on synchros....MAYBE fork...but i doubtit

alright thanks for the suggestions, ok the tranny has 125k on it while the rebuilt engine only has 6k.

as far as the syncros are those easily fixed?

nice site as far as dsm tranny rebuilds but im not ready to rebuild the entire tranny for this problem alone. when i do rebuild the tranny im throwin in the phantom grip.

also anyone know of a good place to take my transmission in the orlando area?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back