The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2nd gear grind [Merged 7-7] grinding shift shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwheelspin

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
cinciOhio
Its getting cold here, and it seem that im grinding going into second when the car is not warmed up all the way.Does anyone else have this problem or is it my syncos going out???

Have you tried checking your shifter cablesat the tranny side? thumb:

^

On top of the transmission,below the intake pipe. That's what fixed my problem, thing is, I couldn't get it into second. Bracket was loose on the cables. Tightened it and now it goes back in.

ok so is there bolts or something....i dunno if someone has a pic of it or could give me a little more detail..Thanks for all of the help guys!

so is this what i should try and tighting frist? the red arrows where the rods conncet too?

Attachments

• 34286sheprace_tranny001.jpg
    34286sheprace_tranny001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 193
Well the picture doesn't show what s_ranger is talking about , but i put a green arrow towards were you should look, and the two turqoise ones are where the cables usually break as well. at the end of the crinkly thing there are some brass pieces that hold them together. Check VFAQ, good source to find alot of answers to problems like this with pics. Hope that helps. :thumb:

Well thanks..the dealership called me today and they are gonna see whats wrong and fix it..or see if it covered under my warrenty..i just want to thank you guys for your help!!

Grinding is very common with these cars. It's a early symptom of your syncros going bad in the trans. Personally I try not to downshift, it feels to me like I'm gonna break something on the stock trans whenever I do it. Especially if your engine is worked up with mods and your trans is still pretty much stock. But do you downshift at high rpms or do you ease it in when downshifting? Because I've noticed when downshifting at high rpms a lot you start to hear some things rattling after a while? Just a peice of advice to let you know for the future!

It's a sign that you don't double-clutch, and that prior owners didn't, either. And, it shows that "synchromesh" or not, it's still a good policy.

IF your clutch is properly adjusted, you may find some relief in trying a different transmission fluid. But it will not repair worn-out parts.

hey i get a 90 gsx and my car grinds 2nd and 3rd gear no matter if i up shift or down shift it still grinds. i cant figure it out . i have also no history on the condition of my tranny when i bought the car last september. clutch master and slave cylinder never been changed out before that i know of. i dont know what route to take replace clutch master and slave cylinder or get tranny's syncros and or ### ever replaced in it.. any inside would help me .....

I've been having this problem also. Hate to bring a dead topic back to life, but what I've gathered is that I need to change to a synthetic transmission fluid?

(It only grinds when cold... When it was hot outside I didn't have the problem. It's only started recently with cooler temps)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back