The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors

2nd gear grind [Merged 7-7] grinding shift shifting

rubixphx

Proven Member
Aug 7, 2005
Phoenix, Arizona
Have you tried checking your shifter cablesat the tranny side? thumb:

S_Ranger

Proven Member
Aug 30, 2004
ca, Central_America
^

On top of the transmission,below the intake pipe. That's what fixed my problem, thing is, I couldn't get it into second. Bracket was loose on the cables. Tightened it and now it goes back in.

98gstaherns

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2005
no st paul, Minnesota
ok so is there bolts or something....i dunno if someone has a pic of it or could give me a little more detail..Thanks for all of the help guys!

S_Ranger

Proven Member
Aug 30, 2004
ca, Central_America
This is the closest picture I can find.

34286sheprace_tranny001.jpg

98gstaherns

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2005
no st paul, Minnesota
so is this what i should try and tighting frist? the red arrows where the rods conncet too?

Attachments

• 34286sheprace_tranny001.jpg
    34286sheprace_tranny001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 179

rubixphx

Proven Member
Aug 7, 2005
Phoenix, Arizona
Well the picture doesn't show what s_ranger is talking about , but i put a green arrow towards were you should look, and the two turqoise ones are where the cables usually break as well. at the end of the crinkly thing there are some brass pieces that hold them together. Check VFAQ, good source to find alot of answers to problems like this with pics. Hope that helps. :thumb:

98gstaherns

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2005
no st paul, Minnesota
Well thanks..the dealership called me today and they are gonna see whats wrong and fix it..or see if it covered under my warrenty..i just want to thank you guys for your help!!

GsxProject

Proven Member
Aug 24, 2006
Brooklyn, New_York
Grinding is very common with these cars. It's a early symptom of your syncros going bad in the trans. Personally I try not to downshift, it feels to me like I'm gonna break something on the stock trans whenever I do it. Especially if your engine is worked up with mods and your trans is still pretty much stock. But do you downshift at high rpms or do you ease it in when downshifting? Because I've noticed when downshifting at high rpms a lot you start to hear some things rattling after a while? Just a peice of advice to let you know for the future!

Defiant

DSM Wiseman
Jan 13, 2003
glorious Galt, California
It's a sign that you don't double-clutch, and that prior owners didn't, either. And, it shows that "synchromesh" or not, it's still a good policy.

IF your clutch is properly adjusted, you may find some relief in trying a different transmission fluid. But it will not repair worn-out parts.

fast90eclipse

Proven Member
Jul 3, 2007
OLYMPIA, Washington
hey i get a 90 gsx and my car grinds 2nd and 3rd gear no matter if i up shift or down shift it still grinds. i cant figure it out . i have also no history on the condition of my tranny when i bought the car last september. clutch master and slave cylinder never been changed out before that i know of. i dont know what route to take replace clutch master and slave cylinder or get tranny's syncros and or ### ever replaced in it.. any inside would help me .....

TAndrus

Proven Member
Oct 7, 2007
Manhattan, Kansas
I've been having this problem also. Hate to bring a dead topic back to life, but what I've gathered is that I need to change to a synthetic transmission fluid?

(It only grinds when cold... When it was hot outside I didn't have the problem. It's only started recently with cooler temps)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Feal Suspension Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com OHM Racing Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing SouthBay Fuel Injectors STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds