The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g wiring harness help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1991TurboTalon

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 21, 2008
Morgantown, West_Virginia
Hey guys, usually I can find an answer to my questions through the search, but I did not have any luck with this issue. I need to replace my body harness ( The one that starts at the fusebox on the passenger side, and runs along the front of the car, and plugs in at the kick panel underneath the dash). I have ran the wiring harness and have my headlights, alternator, etc. all wired in. No problems!!

My problem is I cannot connect the wires that go under the dash!! The problem appears to be that the harness that I have is from a 1992 Automatic with ABS, and I am using it on my 1991 Manual without ABS. & there is a 16 pin connector on my AT harness, and it is a 14 pin connect on my MT harness.

Can someone provide a wiring diagram for the harness so that I can unpin the AT connectors and re-pin using my MT connector?

Also, I am trying to accomplish this so that I can make it to the shootout!!:D

Thanks in advance for your help & expertise!

Here are some photos of what I am up against. The 92 connector is different than what is shown on your photo.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My 92 connector has 16 pins. The one shown has 18 pins.

My 91 is a 14 pin connector.

Also, the black clips are different (notice that the 92 harness has 3 columns of pins on the left side). There are also 7 clips on the 92 harness, my 91 only has 5.

The harness is definitely out of a 1992 Eagle Talon AWD, Automatic Transmission. Can you point out what these are used for??

I was reading a bit further into this today. Are the extra plugs that I have for the ABS? 19Eclipse90 could you provide the AUTO wiring pin-out?

Thanks!

Posted from my Android phone, please forgive any punctuation errors.

I think this about covers the Auto harness pin-out. If you've had some sort of break-through, please share with us as the information you've provided thus far doesn't correlate to the service manuals, as far as I can tell. As for the possibility of ABS connectors, the pictures don't show what I would think the ABS connectors would be, i.e., one of the connectors is a 20-pin connector.

1 –
  • 1991: Empty
  • 2.0L, 1992+, FWD, Non-Turbo: RL, red w/ blue, pin 11 of ECU to no connection
  • 2.0L, 1992+, Turbo: Empty (see pin 8)
2 – YW, yellow w/ white,
  • -1992: pin 1 of Power Economy Change Over Switch to pin 64 of TCU
  • 1993+: pin 1 of Power Economy Change Over Switch to pin 38 of TCU
3 – Br, brown,
  • -1992: pin 3 of TCU to pin 1 of Accelerator Pedal Switch
  • 1993+: pin 5 of TCU to pin 1 of Accelerator Pedal Switch
4 –
-1992:​
  • W/ Cruise Control Harness: RB (male side), RW (female side); pin 57 on TCU to pin 10 on Auto-Cruise Control Unit
  • W/O Cruise Control Harness: RW (male side), RW (female side); pin 57 on TCU to pin 4 of Over Drive Switch
1993+:​
  • W/ Cruise Control Harness: RB (male side), RW (female side); pin 37 on TCU to pin 10 on Auto-Cruise Control Unit
  • W/O Cruise Control Harness: RW (male side), RW (female side); pin 37 on TCU to pin 4 of Over Drive Switch
5 – RG, red w/ green, pin 64 of ECU to pin 8 of Gauge Cluster (Check Engine Light)
6 – RB, red w/ black, pin 65 of the ECU to pin 2 of the Magnetic Clutch Relay (A/C)
7 – RB, red w/ black,
  • -1992 (ALL) and 1993+ (1.8L): pin 103 of the TCU to inside junction block (fuse 19, "Room")
  • 1993+: pin 39 of TCU to inside junction block (fuse 19, "Room")
8 - BO, black w/ orange stripe (my diagrams show RL, red w/ blue) – this one confuses me more than anything; since I posted in that other thread, I've located some new information as well.
  • FWD, Turbo: runs from pin 11 of ECU to no connection;
  • AWD, -1992: runs from pin 11 of ECU to ABS Control Unit
  • AWD, 1993+: runs from pin 11 of ECU to no connection (for the life of me, I don't see why this would be different from the 1992 models)
  • NEW for AWD, -1992: runs from pin 4 of Dome Light (A/T Temp) to pin 103 of TCU; yellow on the female side, black w/ white stripe on the male side
  • NEW for AWD, 1993+: runs from pin 4 of Dome Light (A/T Temp) to pin 3 of TCU – yellow on the female side, black w/ white stripe on the male side
9 – BR, black w/ red stripe, pin 3 of ECU to pin 6 of Gauge Cluster (Boost Pressure Gauge, turbo only)
10 – B, black, pin 14 of Auto-Cruise Control Unit to ground
11 – YR, yellow w/ red
  • -1992: pin 5 of TCU to pin 6 of Data Link Connector (Diagnostic Port)
  • 1993+: pin 9 of TCU to pin 6 of Data Link Connector (Diagnostic Port)
12 – GW, green w/ white, pin 5 of Auto-Cruise Control Unit to pin 2 of Throttle Position Switch as well as pin 19 of ECU
13 – LB, blue w/ black stripe,
  • -1992: pin 4 of the Inhibitor Switch to pin 13 of the inside junction block (fuse 7, "4A/T")
  • 1993+, Non-Turbo: pin 4 of the Inhibitor Switch to pin 13 of the inside junction block (fuse 7, "4A/T")
  • 1993+, Turbo: pin 3 of the Inhibitor Switch to pin 13 of the inside junction block (fuse 7, "4A/T")
14 – Empty
15 - LR, blue w/ red stripe – runs from pin 4 of Power Window Relay to pin 3 of inside junction block 10A fuse (fuse 3, "Heater Relay")
16 – Y, yellow, pin 1 of ECU to pin 1 of Data Link Connector (Diagnostic Port)
17 –W, white, pin 2 of ECU to pin 10 of Data Link Connector (Diagnostic Port)
AND...​
  • -1992 Auto: pin 8 of TCU to pin 10 of Data Link Connector (Diagnostic Port)
  • 1993+ Auto: pin 11 of TCU to pin 10 of Data Link Connector (Diagnostic Port)
18 – G, green,
  • 1.8L: pin 4 of Auto-Cruise Control Unit to pin 4 of Motor Position Sensor (Idle Switch) as well as pin 6 of ECU
  • 2.0L: pin 4 of Auto-Cruise Control Unit to pin 1 (only pin) of Idle Switch as well as pin 14 of the ECU

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe we are comparing two different set of plugs.... I went out to compare the two harnesses, and the wire colors list on the AUTO pin-out or the 91-94 manual harness posted here, "Dash Harness Talon TSI", are not the same colors. Nor does either harness have pin 1 empty as noted. I know that these are both turbo harnesses.

Again, the harness I am working with is the fuse box harness. It mounts on the passenger side of the engine bay, and plugs into the lighting system, alternator, oil sending lights, and goes inside the driver's front fender and through the firewall into the car. The plugs in question plug into the fuse panel located on the driver's side kick panel, and my 1991 has two plug behind the fuse panel (one for a 6 pin connector, and the other is the 14-pin connector. (I cannot take clear photos with my phone)

Okay, then yes, we are discussing different connectors. That's probably why none of this made much sense to me. LOL For the record, three of the five connectors in your third picture are very similar to some under the passenger side kick panel which is why I immediately thought it was over there. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, we are on the same page now. Might be a little bit before I can go through all those connectors on the driver side to figure out what they are all about, though.

Anything that you can do to help is greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I am looking to find another harness for a MANUAL 91-94.... But if we can figure out how to re-pin the connectors I do not have to pull the harness back out of the car, and run another one.. LOL:D..

Alrighty, check to see if these are even remotely close, wire color-wise. Admittedly, the description of the 14-pin connector is lacking, but it's about the best I can do with what I have to look at. This is the comparison between the same plug from the engine compartment harness to the body wiring harness on the driver side.

1991: 14-pin Connector
1 - ??
2 - ??
3 -
  • Vehicles W/O Theft Alarm System or Daytime Running Light: R, red, pin 2 of Headlight Relay to pins 11 and 12 on the Steering Column Switch (Light Controls)
  • Vehicles W/O Theft Alarm System but W/ Daytime Running Light: LW, blue w/ white, pin 2 of Tail Light Relay to pin 3 of Steering Column Switch (Light Controls) and unspecified pin on Transistor Relay (for Daytime Running Lights)
  • Vehicles W/ Theft Alarm System and Daytime Running Light: LW, blue w/ white, pin 2 of Tail Light Relay to pin 3 of Steering Column Switch (Light Controls) and to unspecified pin on Transistor Relay (for Daytime Running Lights)
4 - LY, blue w/ yellow, pin 1 of Passing Control Relay (Headlight Control) to pin 2 on each Pop-Up Head Light Motor
5 - GY, green w/ yellow,
  • 1.8L MTX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch and pin 7 of ECU
  • 2.0L MTX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch and pin 1 on A/C Engine Coolant Temperature Switch
  • 1.8L ATX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch, pin 7 of ECU, and pin 6 of TCU
  • 2.0L ATX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch, pin 1 of A/C Engine Coolant Temperature Switch, and pin 6 of TCU
6 - RB, red w/ black, pin 2 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to pin 65 of ECU
7 - ??
8 -

• [*}Vehicles W/ Theft Alarm System: G, green, pin 1 of Theft Alarm Horn Relay (on inside Junction Block) to the front horns and a Diode (for Daytime Running Light or Theft-Alarm System circuit) and ultimately to ground (SEE 264/320)
  • Vehicles W/O Theft Alarm System: GB, green w/ black, pin 18 of Steering Column Switch (Horn Switch) to the front horns and ultimately the inside junction block (fuse 10, "Head")
9 - R, red,
  • Vehicles W/ Theft Alarm System: pin 2 of Headlight Relay to pin 9 on Theft Alarm Control Unit and pins 11 and 12 on the Column Switch (Light Controls)
  • Vehicles W/ Theft Alarm System but W/O Daytime Running Lights: pin 2 of Headlight Relay to pin 9 on Theft Alarm Control Unit
10 – the manual states both of these, so I’m not positive which is correct, though I lean towards the first one:
  • B (male) and LR (female), pin 60 of Theft Alarm Control Unit to pin 2 of Hood Switch
  • LB (male) and LR (female), pin 22 of Theft Alarm Control Unit to pin 2 of Hood Switch
11 - LR, blue w/ red, pin 2 of Passing Control Relay (Headlight Control) to pin 5 on each Pop Up Headlight Motor
12 - GR, pin 4 of Headlight Relay and pin 4 of Daytime Running Lights Relay 1 to a Diode (for Daytime Running Light or Theft-Alarm System circuit)
13 - ??
14 - ??

**I'm not positive which pin it is, but there is also a black w/ red wire that runs from pin 6 of the Defogger Relay to the L terminal on the Alternator**

1992: 16-pin -- fairly confident this is all there is
1 - GL, green w/ blue, pin 1 of Turn Signal and Hazard Flasher Unit to LH Turn Light and LH Dash Light Indicator
2 - BW, black w/ white, pin 1 of Windshield Washer Motor to pin 7 of Windshield Wiper Column Switch
3 - GB, green w/ black, pin 6 of A/C Control Unit to pin 5 of Condenser Fan Motor High-Low Changeover Relay
4 - ??Empty??
5 - ??Empty??
6 - GY, green w/ yellow,
  • 1.8L MTX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch and pin 7 of ECU
  • 2.0L MTX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch and pin 1 on A/C Engine Coolant Temperature Switch
  • -1992, 1.8L, ATX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch, pin 7 of ECU, and pin 6 of TCU
  • 1993+, 1.8L, ATX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch, pin 7 of ECU, and pin 8 of TCU
  • -1992, 2.0L, ATX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch, pin 1 of A/C Engine Coolant Temperature Switch, and pin 6 of TCU
  • 1993+, 2.0L, ATX: pin 4 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to intersection between pin 1 of A/C Dual Pressure Switch, pin 1 of A/C Engine Coolant Temperature Switch, and pin 8 of TCU
7 - RB, red w/ black, pin 2 of A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay to pin 65 of ECU
8 - GY, green w/ yellow, pin 5 of Turn Signal and Hazard Flasher Unit to RH Turn Light and RH Dash Light Indicator
9 - BR, black w/ red, pin 6 of Defogger Timer to L terminal on Alternator
10 - GB, green w/ black, pin 18 of Steering Column Switch (Horn Switch) to both front horns and ultimately the inside junction block (fuse 10, "Head")
11 - R, red, pin 2 of Headlight Relay to pin 11 of Steering Column Switch (Light Control Switch)
12 - ??Empty??
13 - RW (male) and RL (female), red w/ white and red w/ blue, pin 2 of Fog Light Relay to pin 1 of Steering Column Switch (Dimmer Switch)
14 - ??Empty??
15 - BW, black w/ white, pin 1 (only pin) of A/C Magnetic Clutch to pin 3 of Magnetic Clutch Relay
16 - GW, green w/ white, pin 1 of A/C Control Unit to pin 4 of Condenser Fan Motor Relay

Unfortunately, these colors are not matching up either. I found a 93 5-speed today, but upon pulling the plugs from under the the dash, it is still the 16-pin connector. So, I am concluding that there is a different harness for the 1ga & 1gb. Also, looking at the two pin-outs that you posted, it appears that I do not only have to re-pin the 16 & 14-pin connectors, but that I need to re-pin the other plugs as well.

Also, my car was built in Jan. 1991.. I believe this is my harness: 1990.06.2-1991.06.2: MB802125
My donor harness was built in Apr. 1992.. I believe its harness is: 1991.06.3-1993.05.3: MB823867

Can you do a pin-out for these harness that I can use to convert the 1992 harness to use my 1991 14-pin connector?

Thanks!

I don't want this to sound "dick-ish" as it is a sincere request, but perhaps you could provide me with the wiring colors in some ordered fashion and then I just have to see if I can hunt them down instead of playing this guessing game that's going nowhere. LOL

Not being "dick-ish" at all... LOL.... I should have thought of that eariler... ROFL..

[01][02][03][__][__][04][05][06]
[07][08][09][10][11][12][13][14]

[01][02][03][04][__][__][05][06][07]
[08][09][10][11][12][13][14][15][16]

1991 plug
01: Black /w White Stripe
02: Green /w Black Stripe
03: Blue /w White Stripe
04: Blue /w Green Stripe
05: Green /w Yellow Stripe
06: Red /w Blue Stripe
07: Black /w Red Stripe
08: Green /s Black Stripe
09: Red
10: BLANK
11: Red /w Blue stripe
12: BLANK
13: Black /w White Stripe
14: Green /w White Stripe

1992 Plug
01: Green /w Blue Stripe
02: Black /w White Stripe
03: Green / Black Stripe
04: Blue /w White Stripe
05: BLANK
06: Green /w Yellow Stripe
07: Red /w Black Stripe
08: Green /w Yellow Stripe
09: Black /w Red Stripe
10: Green /w Black Stripe
11: Red
12: BLANK
13: Red /w Blue Stripe
14: BLANK
15: Black /w White Stripe
16: Green /w White Stripe

LOL..... I just compared my colors to your previous post, and they are very close (my colors are sort of faded). I do not know how what I was reading before.

The next issue is re-pining these to work. The pin-out you posted the wires on the 91 control the alarms system, & the 92 does not list these. I have convert my front end to a 92, so I do not need to pop up controls.

The 16-pin connector I just posted up is the exact same for your 16-pin connector, except for pin 4.

The problem with the 14-pin connector pin-out is that I'm going off an electronic copy of the diagrams that isn't complete. Even so, it seems all but coincidental that pins 3, 4 (blue w/ yellow, not green), 5, 6, 8 (w/o black stripe), 9, 11 (blue w/ red stripe?) and possibly pin 7 (the black w/ red my diagram has the pin number omitted for whatever reason) match up. That I didn't find anything for 1, 2, 13, or 14 doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there, and that I have something for 10 (theft alarm) or 12 (daytime running lights were a Canadian thing, if I recall) doesn't mean the harness you have was so equipped.

No offense, but I really think those are what you're looking at. Unfortunately I can't help with what all those wires are for.

Damned ninja edits... LOL

Okay, well at least we are on the same page again. As far as the Security (Theft Alarm) System, I could have sworn ASA told me it was a 1991 item only, now it says 1990 only. I'll have to figure that one back out.

We could tone out the 2 harnesses and figure out what goes where but for lack of time and patience I got lucky and found him a 1991 donor harness locally out of a 5 speed awd non abs car so it "should" be a direct replacement... We definitely appreciate your efforts helping and trying to resolve this but It turned into a nightmare fast ...and essentially impossible to help over the phone/net... Seems 91 is an odd ball year for this particular harness...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back