The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Engine Wiring Harness...maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGST90

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
So my passenger side headlight looks like its going out, so I buy a new headlight..install it..turn it on..looks excatly the same, so it has to be the wiring for it, also my temperature gauge isn't reading nothing..its not the sensor, it has to be the wiring. So I got this engine harness from a friend, but he's can't remember if its for my car or not. So my question, should I just try to fix my jacked up engine harness I have now or use the one my friend gave me? If I should use the one my friend gave me, how can I tell its the right one for my car. If anyone can help me with my problem, im all ears.:pray: Thanks.

So my question is, have you tested the harness you have now to be sure that's actually the problem?

You really want to pull the dash and heater out to change that damn harness? Its not exactly fun..

I would go over the diagrams and trace wire. the wires to the coolant temp gauges always are brittle and break. headlight sounds like a easy fix ,as its a easy circuit.

Steve has the 1g factory service manuals posted in the faq. I can post up more info tomorrow if you need it.

@Absit If you saw all the chewed up wires that are bent and broken, you would agree. I dont have a DMM to see, but im 90% sure its my wires.

@ sniver But yeah man that would be great if I could get that info on the 1g factory service manuals

So my passenger side headlight looks like its going out, so I buy a new headlight..install it..turn it on..looks excatly the same, so it has to be the wiring for it, also my temperature gauge isn't reading nothing..its not the sensor, it has to be the wiring. So I got this engine harness from a friend, but he's can't remember if its for my car or not. So my question, should I just try to fix my jacked up engine harness I have now or use the one my friend gave me? If I should use the one my friend gave me, how can I tell its the right one for my car. If anyone can help me with my problem, im all ears.:pray: Thanks.

I would fix your current harness. There are two coolant temperature sensors side by side on the thermostat housing; one larger with 2 wires and the other smaller with a single wire. The larger one is the actual coolant temperature sensor for the ECU. The smaller one is for the dash gauge (this is the one that would be causing your problem). Like mentioned above, these often get brittle and break. Clip off the old connecter and solder on a standard female spade connector, available from any auto parts or hardware store. You can also add more wire depending on how bad your current wires are. This is a very, very easy fix.

Hope this helps!

@DOHC Oh ok, so pretty much any auto store will have that female connector with wires on it?

Not with wires on it but you can crimp/solder it to your existing wire OR in the case that your existing wire is to brittle, cut back, add new wire (crimp/solder with heat shrink) and then the spade connector.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back