1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1g tsi miss fire

Posted by Mark E Brooks, May 31, 2020

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Mark E Brooks

Mark E Brooks Probationary Member

Joined Mar 23, 2020
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    I cant figure out this miss i put spark plugs wires cleaned the injector i did a compression test it was 119psi just a hair under 120 that seems pretty good to me i have a guy that has built alot of these motors he says thays past the service point the car did sit for about 8 years when i got it in February i did a tune up oil changed check the timing belt everything was good ran great now it stutters when it hits about 6-8 pounds of boost only does it under boost it seems did a fuel pressure test it was 30 psi with regulator vacuum on 40 off what am i missing or am i wrong to think that 119 120 on the compression test is good please help

98  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Damn, that was a long sentence. Sounds like a clogged fuel filter. Fuel pressure should be 37.5 with vacuum line removed.

edit: if the cylinders are indeed hitting 119 then that's below the service limit and a likely cause.

Last edited: May 31, 2020

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Sniffbooger

Sniffbooger Proven Member

Joined Apr 12, 2020
    Torrance, California
    120 seems really low, i would recommend a cylinder leak down test...that will show where the problem is...a leaky head gasket could cause a misfire under boost...had the same thing happen to my '87 Toyota turbo pickup...I ended up doing a coolant block test with the liquid and it showed combustion byproducts in the coolant... replaced the head gasket and fixed it! The reason i chose that coolant block test initially was because I suspected it might be a head gasket...took off the radiator cap and it smelled like combustion vapors a little bit...
    You can also check the engine oil...is there any coolant in the oil? Take off the oil cap and if it looks milk chocolate color thats a problem! However this doesn't always happen with a faulty head gasket...

Street Build 257  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Mark E Brooks likes this.
  4. Mark E Brooks

Mark E Brooks Probationary Member

Joined Mar 23, 2020
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Thanks ill check that today

98  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Compression is quite low. And do a boost leak test you have classic symptoms.

Street Build 722  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

698  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM