The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

16g turbo what cams do you run?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britdog

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2011
tiffin, Ohio
I just want to see what you 16g turbo guys run for cams, and your opinion on how you like them. Thanks
Mine is a 97 gst and i'm looking for some good cams
i saw a read up at http://www.amsperformance.com/camtest.php
I'm thinking hks 264 cams will be good for a quicker spool up with good amount of power before boost.

Last edited:
264s are good but just a hair more lope than stock i think most would agree that 272s would be a better choice there are dyno sheet comparisons on this site some place youll see that the low end is about the same as stock and the top end is way better this is just my 2 cents tack it for what its worth ps is this a big or small 16g, is it aftermarket or evo

the best cams for use with dsm are kelford or gsc camsi personally have 272 kelford i believe next lower are 260 but dont quote me on it. hks well.. your just paying for the name to be honest

I'm running HKS 264/264 with my EVO3 16G. Comparing it to when I had stock 1G cams in (otherwise same setup) I would say that AMS's description is very accurate. Off boost response actually seems a tad bit better with the 264's. I definitely don't feel that I lost any off boost power with them. Spool time is about the same. The increase in higher RPM power with the 264's is VERY noticeable and it now pulls hard all the way to redline and bounces off the rev limiter before you know it.

One thing I'll mention is that when running at lower boost levels (below 14 or 15psi) I don't notice any improvement over the stock cams. At higher boost is when I can really appreciate the difference with these cams.

I would go with 272/272 (or Forced Performance FP2's, which is what I still run), along with some adjustable cam gears so you can dial in the power band as you see fit.

An E3 16G, 272 cams, adjustable gears, Evo exhaust mani, and stock IM makes for a wicked little light-to-light street car when properly tuned. ;)

I run evo3 16g on hks 264-272 combo on the fwd. And I love it. It's good on the street and track. I recently ran 13.5 at 105mph...60ft was horrible due to bad street tires..2.4 if I remember

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would go with 272/272 (or Forced Performance FP2's, which is what I still run), along with some adjustable cam gears so you can dial in the power band as you see fit.

An E3 16G, 272 cams, adjustable gears, Evo exhaust mani, and stock IM makes for a wicked little light-to-light street car when properly tuned. ;)

Pretty much agree. Although I'm running the DKS HKS 272 regrinds and for the price I absolutely love them.

how about some GSC S1? These cams are not regrinds and the S1's provide no low end loss at all with mid range to a bit of top end emphasis. Tthese cams rock with any td05 turbo, fast spool, and my butt dyno says way more midrange.

http://features.evolutionm.net/article.php?id=86

I cant voice my opinion with the 264/272 combo,never have used them, i wanted to choose a route that less have followed.

edit:

Didn't see you post:
What about GSC Power Division S1 Cams? 268° / 268°
How would that work with 16G?

Also, as Calan said, if you have adjustable cam gears, you can really change the power band. I feel like changing cams warrants adjustable cam gears, hopefully they are in you budget.

I ran 264s with great results. Real smooth power band. I just dont like 272s with that small of a turbo.

I am running HKS 264's with my evo3 and I believe they are a great combo for a street car. The last time it was dyno tuned (with a massive boost leak in my fmic) I hit 300tq just north of 3000 rpm's with 354tq peak. This combo pulls very hard right up to redline and full boost (23psi) hits almost instantly in any gear. IMO numbers like those make for a great street car. The cams idle like stock at 8-900 rpm's so no one will even think you have an upgrade. I have recently had my car retuned after I got a new fmic and a few other small upgrades to help air flow a bit and all I can say is WOW. I would guess I am really close to 400tq now but have no way of telling since it was street tuned by Devin @ Boostin Performance. All I know is it will rip all 4 tires loose in second gear now and is a blast to drive.

thanks everyone. i really think I'm going with the hks 264's

since my car is automatic i cant launch as good as the manual's so i wantt something with good low end power without losing the power throughout the power band

I personally think 272's variants are better in a fwd application, to push the power band higher into the rpm's a bit.

With my Evo3 16g I am running the Delta (HKS clone) 264/272 and the combo seems really good given the turbo size. When my 6 bolt block is done I am thinking something more like 6262 with Kelford 272 or 280 but time will tell.

thanks everyone. i really think I'm going with the hks 264's

since my car is automatic i cant launch as good as the manual's so i wantt something with good low end power without losing the power throughout the power band

Auto cars are much better for launch, drag racing, and big cams as it is easy to compensate for with a higher stall converter erasing any low end loss. Autos also load up a turbo much better than a manual.

Okay so extreme said 264 intake was discontinued but on stm they have both intake and exhaust 264.
Why would extreme say that but yet another site has them

Because they might have some still actually in stock while extreme psi is sold out and they can't get more because they are discontinued.

I know this is old but is there any update?

I have a big 16g with supporting mods and was wondering how HKS 264s or GSC S1s would be with an automatic? Does it make it harder for the car to build boost when stalling?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back