The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build "Widow" - HannahGST's 1999 Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm assuming I need injectors at the same time the fuel pump is installed right?

Not necessarily, I made 297fwhp and 250tq on a walbro 255 and stock injectors, stock ecu and a 20g and bolt in cams. It definitely wasnt very safe but I did it and Im still on that stock 7 bolt pushing a lot more power! Im excited to see where this goes! How about some pictures of the car!!

^ Leave it to Tommo to push the limits and come out smelling like a rose. :p

I think I can handle the car pic request for the time being....Hannah, I'll text you more about linking existing images to the thread a little later. ;)

535493_10150828329769564_1710398453_n.jpg

389166_10151587775649564_276320299_n.jpg

1619194_10152289189059564_80811321_n.jpg

10334406_10152379547334564_105899494041206192_n.jpg

Thank you for the pic help, JusMX141! The top pic is from when I first got her, all stock with the low rise spoiler. The bottom pics show how she looks now. :)

Not necessarily, I made 297fwhp and 250tq on a walbro 255 and stock injectors, stock ecu and a 20g and bolt in cams. It definitely wasnt very safe but I did it and Im still on that stock 7 bolt pushing a lot more power! Im excited to see where this goes! How about some pictures of the car!!

cool! I need to figure out what approach I want to take to get there! It sounds like its going to be a little while before I can get the BC cams and shafts in. Im still a bit confused about what I need to do prior to putting them in. More research to be done :|

10418297_10152454107379564_6300840995520471775_n.jpg

New 20G in, Evo III o2 housing in, heres a shot of the new downpipe to fit the o2 housing. Still need to get a new 3"- 4" exhaust so I wont be just forcing air into my exhaust that's smaller than my downpipe.
10372018_10152454108299564_3518281809363071768_n.jpg

10363768_10152454108339564_7588483204132673338_n.jpg

Most of the interior back in since the trans swap YAY!
10491148_10152479042504564_5198659501618188492_n.jpg

cool! I need to figure out what approach I want to take to get there! It sounds like its going to be a little while before I can get the BC cams and shafts in. Im still a bit confused about what I need to do prior to putting them in. More research to be done :|
Nice car a beauty and clean! You should lower the car first;).(You can do that last but do it)

Assuming you have none of the things I mention here I would first get

1. ECM link V3
2. injectors (Can do 660 cc's but I would do (950cc's to 1250cc's)
3. fuel pump
4. Boost guage
I would do those four at first one time if $$ allows.

I would go that way since you have a 20g(A great turbo I will say) so that you are running safe.
I will assume you have a boost controller. Then get yourself a FMIC so you can run some boost. The cams and gears will be a great compliment after you get the above done first.
If Kels is giving you that 340 lph at a good price jump on it. It aint gonna hurt. It is basically new.

Thank you very much! FMIC and Coilovers are definitely in the plan eventually.

Unsure if I want to get ECM link or DSM link, there's so many conflicting opinions on it, but I was leaning more towards DSM link.

I actually don't have a boost controller, but I do have a boost gauge (stock).

I've commonly heard to get a tuning platform, injectors and fuel pump as a big 3, so I will definitely be doing that! :)
Thank you for the advice!

i thought ECM link and DSM link were the same thing?? I thought DSM link is just the rename'd ECM link.
Don't know if I missed it but what are your goals? Are you making it into a track car or a DD?
I thought I seen someone throw out 400 awhp but I'm not sure. If So we have the same horse power goal and I'm in the same learning curve, there for I'll be following with great interest. Main thing I'm undecided on is clutch setups.....twin disk or ACT 2600... LOL
By the way great progress so far, and love the rims you got taste.

i thought ECM link and DSM link were the same thing?? I thought DSM link is just the rename'd ECM link.
Don't know if I missed it but what are your goals? Are you making it into a track car or a DD?
I thought I seen someone throw out 400 awhp but I'm not sure. If So we have the same horse power goal and I'm in the same learning curve, there for I'll be following with great interest. Main thing I'm undecided on is clutch setups.....twin disk or ACT 2600... LOL
Yes DSM link is the former and ECM link is the present name.
Hannah(same beautiful name as my precious little niece;)) I went from AEM standalone which was great to ECM link which in my opinion is better because alot of guys here use it and you will have plenty of support here. It was way easier to tune vs AEM and I wish I only bought it sooner.

The stock boost guage is a no-no you need to go aftermarket for accuracy. AEM,HKS,DEFI or Auto meter(cheapest price wise and good) would suffice.

Honestly idk about DSM and ECM link, I thought they were 2 of the 3. (Third being EvoScan). My goal is 400whp as a daily driver and street car, so yep, same goals! :) I have an ACT 2100 clutch, I haven't had any problems with it.

Thank you! Just trying to be a little different with my wheel choice, I don't see too many DSMs with the BBS RS style :)

Well ECM link sounds like a good choice in the way that I'm sure I'll need help with it.

I guess I'll be getting a pillar pod in the future in that case! I've been thinking about getting a voltage gauge as well

I'll be doing something similar rims wise as well, I'm trying to stay away from the main stream stuff. Meshies weren't the top of my list but now you have me wondering what they'd look like on my 1g....

I definitely think ECM link would be the way to go as well, its a far easier program to work with then AEM. AEM is better because his has more in depth programming and tune-ability but at the same time way to complicated for the new tuner to fully utilize to max potential or fully understand with only basic knowledge....like say myself LOL.

Last edited:
Go for it! I'd love to see how it looks myself!

Well, as a new tuner, I'll think about starting with ECM link! Once I get the hang of that, maybe I'll switch to another platform :D

LOL Honestly you probably wont even have to with your current power goal's, but I'll let a more knowledge-able member help you with that decision when it comes to it because I'm not even as far as you are when it comes to my build so I doubt I'll have the experience others will have to bring to the table.
Can't wait to see what you do next Hannah! :thumb:

ECMlink is the new name for DSMlink. It now works on some Evo's so having DSM in the name wasn't quite as accurate. That'd be my recommendation for a tuning platform as it's very user friendly, easy to tune, and allows Boost by Gear (will be very helpful for a higher hp FWD and replace a manual boost controller). My guess is you'll never need to switch to another tuning platform unless you find yourself needing finer controls of things or more inputs. ECMlink will work with your goals for a very long time.

The voltage gauge won't be too useful. If you need three gauges to fill a pillar pod, get a boost, wideband (Innovate brand), and oil pressure (with a remote mounted sensor). The stock boost and oil pressure gauges in the cluster are terrible and having accurate information on those things is critical.

Brian covered most of what I wanted to say! I definitely recommend getting link as your next upgrade.. Getting familiar with the software is super simple and a real good thing to know. Im no professional tuner but I can get the job done!

Very nice looking car by the way! At first glance I wasnt sure how I felt about the wheels but they grew on me. Keep it up!

Awesome! I will be getting a pillar pod/gauges and ECMlink ASAP! Another thing I wasn't so sure about is my computer. With ECMlink, will I need a EPROM capable 95? Or 97?

Thanks crash89, your car looks super nice! I love the black and white scheme :)
As for the wheels, I just fell in love with them when I saw them on the Internet, plus I hadn't seen many DSMs with that style, so why not. :D

I know its definitely best for a 95/96 EPROM ecu. However you can have those same year ECU's socketed to able to accept the software. Im not positive on if you can with the later year ECU's but its something you'd have to talk to the Link guys about. Or maybe Brian or Justin will chime back in with different info.

I know you could use EvoScan/ecuflash being you have the black box ecu. But for me, it was super hard and confusing when I tried to use it. Maybe it was because I didnt have anyone around that knew anything about it or what, I dont know. But definitely for Link I watched the Wiki videos and played around and it was pretty simple.

Thanks for the kind words. This car started pretty much how yours did. Just a stock little daily driver that I never thought would end up like this!

The voltage gauge won't be too useful. If you need three gauges to fill a pillar pod, get a boost, wideband (Innovate brand), and oil pressure (with a remote mounted sensor). The stock boost and oil pressure gauges in the cluster are terrible and having accurate information on those things is critical.
10000000000%
Could not have said that any better!

I know its definitely best for a 95/96 EPROM ecu. However you can have those same year ECU's socketed to able to accept the software. Im not positive on if you can with the later year ECU's but its something you'd have to talk to the Link guys about. Or maybe Brian or Justin will chime back in with different info.

I know you could use EvoScan/ecuflash being you have the black box ecu. But for me, it was super hard and confusing when I tried to use it. Maybe it was because I didnt have anyone around that knew anything about it or what, I dont know. But definitely for Link I watched the Wiki videos and played around and it was pretty simple.

Thanks for the kind words. This car started pretty much how yours did. Just a stock little daily driver that I never thought would end up like this!

No problem Crash89! :)

Alright, keeping my eyes out for another ecu. I have a 99 wiring harness that was modified from auto to manual. Will that cause problems with a different ecu?

You either need a '95 EPROM or to convert a metal-cased '96-'97 ECU to EPROM (only available by ECMTuning). The '98-'99 black box ECU's will not work.

The harness mods should not cause any issues with running a different ECU.

Let's not turn this build thread into a giant question thread. See if you can find some of this info out by searching. Then come back in, post what you found, and get member's opinions for your planned upgrades.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back