The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

2G White Crust on Exhaust Valves

Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT_4G63

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2021
Saugerties, New_York
I just pulled the head on the 1996 7-Bolt that I took out of my Spyder GST. Upon doing so, I found the exhaust valves had an uneven white crusty substance on their faces as well as a white substance on the valve stems, viewable through the exhaust ports when the exhaust manifold is taken off.

What does this generally indicate? I did some research and found mixed answers from the engine having been run extremely lean to it being a byproduct of fuel additives at the pump.

I’ve owned the car for about a year, but only put about 200 miles on it as I’ve been ironing out kinks (mostly suspension, steering, and brake related). I’ve had a 14B and a wideband in it the entire time I’ve had it and have kept watch on AF ratios while also not turning up the boost yet. I personally haven’t run it lean but who knows how it was ran before I owned it.

The engine runs well, sounds good, and feels good while driving. I’m just concerned as to what this substance might indicate on the exhaust valves. Any ideas?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back