The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

White coolant smelling smoke in the cabin

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleybishop10

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 18, 2009
Marysville, Ohio
I was driving home from school to day and noticed a white smoke coming in from the vents in my car. The temperature gauge was reading normal and when i got home i check the coolant and it was alittle low but not terrible still just above the low line. I turned the head on for a second and it blowed just fine and it was warm just like normal but smelled really bad of coolant. when i turned it back off it took a few minutes then the smoke started pouring out again.

Any ideas what this could be?

I think im leaning towards the heater core or a leak around that area.

Thanks in advance for the help.

and would it be ok to drive it for alittle bit with this happening?

someone told me that the oil would be more milky but this is just like normal oil but just really light?

I have been driving my car for 2 years with a leaky heater core. I hope to replace it eventually. I havent looked into getting one yet. A friend on mine bought a turbo car with a blown HG but they put HG repair goo in the coolant. His car couldnt make heat even after replacing the thermostat. We flushed the coolant and took all of that HG repair out and, then he drove the car until it wouldnt go anymore, he really screwed up the motor, Just keep in mind that HG repair is a temp fix and people break it off it people all the time when it comes to cars. I dont buy anymore cars then i have to because you end up buying other peoples problems.

Its not showing any of those symptoms and it is running fine the only thing that i saw was the oil looked alittle green but i think that was just the type of oil that was used when they did my oil change, do you think that i would be alright to drive it?

update: I got a compression test and tested and everything was the same and i drove it around for about an hour and everything seems ok. Just over reacted alittle i guess

Here's what e-how says: (Austin, you should read this)
Effects of Breathing Antifreeze Fumes
While ingesting antifreeze can cause the most harmful effects to the body, it is still not safe to inhale fumes from the product. Antifreeze fumes can cause eye irritation and upper-respiratory irritation. Additionally, inhaled fumes, particularly if from a mist, can cause breathing difficulties, headaches, drowsiness, blurred vision, irregular eye movements, nausea and vomiting.
Material Safety Data Sheets show that repeated inhalation of antifreeze fumes may affect the central nervous system. Coma may occur if the inhaled antifreeze fumes were in mist form.
Additionally, individuals with pre-existing medical conditions may be more susceptible to the effects caused by inhaling antifreeze.

Read more: The Effects of Breathing Antifreeze Fumes | eHow.com The Effects of Breathing Antifreeze Fumes | eHow.com

Yes it's bad for you, but he has blocked off the heater core. Now it's just down to a head gasket problem it sounds like. Should be giving that link to the people who drive behind him.

If you don't have the tools to check the pressure in the cooling system. Take it some where. Especially if you don't have the experience.

It may seem easy. But it's a lot of work. And a lot of specifications. Like tourquing the head down a certain way. And the cover a certain way.

And I have been breathing coolant since I turned ten. I was working on cars at that age at my pops shop.

Yes theirs safety you need to think about. But it also takes a a lot to injest to mess you up.

- Nick
Email- [email protected]
Twitter- @FearlessNickCG
Vehicle- 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back