The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G White Smoke?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_xlr8

Probationary Member
Feb 22, 2014
Cherokee, Kansas
I have a 95 eclipse gsx with 184000 miles on it. It has a stock turbo on it. It is blowing quite a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust. it does not smell like coolant. It just smells like exhaust. I have not idea on what it is. Anyone have any ideas??

Same thing happened to my tsi awd. I drove it around for 1 month like that and ended up being a bad turbo. Blew the turbo put a new one in and then was mint

Do you have stock exhaust on it?

I had the Turbo rebuild because one of the seal were out of it. It was blowing blue smoke so I had it rebuilt. The blue smoke is gone but now it is white.

How long ago did you rebuild it? And yes most the time when turbo or the seals go bad it is blue smoke.

Last week. I put it on yesterday and it started up just fine. Then all of a sudden smoke.

It might be that chra but I dont know. I'll a compression and leak down test and see what that does.

On the flip side when my turbo internals were bad it blew tons of white smoke

It could just be the oil seals in the turbo, something it will look more grey when they have blown oil seals, from the crazy heat there! If the t25 has 180k on it and was pushed higher than stock boost levels, it wouldn't surprise me that its blown! ;) 18 psi on one of my old stock t25 setups way back when and it lasted maybe a few weeks haha! Was not a happy turbo, but was damn fun at the time LOL!

But def. rule things out like^ said and get a compression and leak down test rolling

I have had the boost turned down so that I would blow it but look at the good that did LOL. Still I blew it up so I sent it in to get a complete rebuild. So it shouldn't be from the turbo but i don't have any idea.

Ok hears I look at it when you blew the turbo up it just made blue smoke. Then you had it rebuilt and put it on yesterday, right. We'll if it's blowing white smoke now after the rebuild I'm thinking its one of two things. One being bad internals in turbo, or possibly your intercooler is so filled with oil from when your turbo is bad that it is just blowing loads of smoke. I know that when I did blow my t25 on my tsi I had to clean out the intercooler. It had so much oil in it

^ Yes,Something simple like that
Just to narrow things down a tad.When you had the turbo off,where the exhaust ports wet?
How is the pcv valve?Is the valve cover cracked?
Does the smoke taper off once its warm,or does it get worse?

Your probably looking at something simple.But its also possible the chra is cracked,Maybe Somewhere along the line over tightened oil drain/coolant bolts got Hercules tight.

Run the car at idle,get some flashlights and go over every inch of the chra you can see.If you see visable coolant leaking.Go back and recheck your crush washers for the coolant,as well as checking the small coolant lines for damage and little pin holes.
Cant assume its going to be right in your face when you look,but that would just be amazeballs.

I didn't even think about the intercooler!! I replaced the pcv valve a couple months ago and Ill have to check everything else over and over again to see if anything is leaking.

Thanks For your guys help!!!! I'll let you know what I come up with!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back