The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G White Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnprSlick

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 5, 2008
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Here are some pics of the car: (Purchased 11/23/09)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Anyways. So, I bring the car home from a 70 mile trip. Somebody told me about smoke coming out when I revved the car. I went to McDs for lunch today pulled out of hte parking lot and look back and see a cloud of white smoke behind me. It didn't follow me, just under acceleration it leaves a plume of smoke. I asked the guy how long the car had been sitting and he said about 4 months.

Do you think its just condensation? I DID make a 70 mile trip and I thought it would have gotten out. The headgasket was recently replaced when the head was rebuilt so I think that factors that out. So what else could it be?

Check for shaft play on the turbo compressor wheel. Wiggle the compressor in and out, up and down, etc. If it wiggles in and out, the turbo is shot. Any noticeable wiggling up and down, or side to side, means that the bearings/seals are probably on their way out and the unit should be replaced ASAP. Check the oil level regularly.

Make sure you know what you're burning. Does the smoke smell sweet like coolant burning? Or does it smell like oil burning? Do a compression test and leakdown test if the turbo checks out okay.

White smoke you should be burning coolant. Check your coolant level every day see if your loosing any.

Compression test will narrow it down a lot. See what she reads and go from there.

Check for shaft play on the turbo compressor wheel. Wiggle the compressor in and out, up and down, etc. If it wiggles in and out, the turbo is shot. Any noticeable wiggling up and down, or side to side, means that the bearings/seals are probably on their way out and the unit should be replaced ASAP. Check the oil level regularly.

Make sure you know what you're burning. Does the smoke smell sweet like coolant burning? Or does it smell like oil burning? Do a compression test and leakdown test if the turbo checks out okay.

Oil level is fine.

I apologize, but I'm new to the turbo world. To get to the compressor wheel, do I just take off the big tube connecting to the side of the turbo and the fan wheel will be inside?

It smells like coolant.

UPDATE:
It doesn't smell like coolant or oil. I actually found out its black smoke and the check engine light came on...

O2 sensor?

Last edited:
What code is being displayed? Black smoke is fuel so that would be a good guess but get the code to be sure.

What code is being displayed? Black smoke is fuel so that would be a good guess but get the code to be sure.

It was a fuel trim code at Autozone. Said it could be the injectors, something in the fuel system, or the o2 sensor. The o2 sensor is my best bet. However, the smell coming out of the exhaust is also coming out of the engine...

Here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNI8T7hX0bU

The smoke doesnt shoot til after the car revs. It shoots white, then black.

I seem to be having the same problem. it won't do it until i get on it a little and it in mid rev it seems to shoot black smoke. theres also black soot all around the bumper above and around the muffler. my buddy whos real intelligant about dsm's suggested it being the 02 sensor.

It's probably the O2 Sensor by the turbo. Had the same problem... gas mileage went up and light went away after I replaced it.

compression test and leak down test first, if he replaced the headgasket it was most likely smoking before, so what i do is waste gas and time if you have some and put it on jacks on level surface and just let it run till it warms up and look at everything i can to see exactly wats smoking and where from.

As I've mentioned hundreds of times before, white or gray smoke CAN be burning oil in the exhaust system if the turbo is blown.

Sorry to thread jack, I have the same problem and nobody has responded to this in a while. My compression is 180-170-175-175, and I am not burning any coolant. There is normal side-to-side shaft play in the turbo and no in-and-out. Help!

Alright, I got my o2 sensor replaced. the car still smokes. I got a good look at it, and the oil is blue tint. so its oil. I check my oil and see its reaaaaally low. So I put some in. After about a week of driving, the oil was reaaaaally low again....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back