The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Which 10lb wheels for drag racing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

er82

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2014
Sacramento, California
I guess the consensus is to use 15x7 wheels with +40 offset or 5.5 backspace and 26x9 tire. But which brand is recommended for the wheels? holeshot, weld, bogart, volk, buddy club... or other? I don't like them to stick out of the front fenders too much.

I used to have a set of 15x6 Motegi Trak-lites. Weight was 9.9 lbs. They fit perfectly on a 2G (I image they'd fit a 1G very well too), but I hear they are hard to come by. If you can find them for sale, I'd recommend them.

Did you ever race the car on them? I heard from a few folks that ran a 6-6.5" wheel had poor stability on the top end of the track.

Did you ever race the car on them? I heard from a few folks that ran a 6-6.5" wheel had poor stability on the top end of the track.
I never raced my car on them, but I did loan them out two 3 different buddies (all DSM owners). Those guys all said they felt great. Two 10-sec cars and one in the 11's. Two ran personal bests on them at the time.

Did anyone say why there was stability issues? I had 26x9.5 QTP's on mine, and Hoosier is recommending a 6"-8" rim width to maintain a proper contact patch with that tire. I can't think of any reason a person would have issues with that tire on any 6.5" wide wheel.

Last edited:
From what I was told, shut down was extremely "wobbly". He went from a 6.5" Traklite to 8" wheel and found a large improvement. Obviously there are other factors as well. This is on an EVO that trapped 160mph with a 26x9.5 Hoosier.

From what I was told, shut down was extremely "wobbly". He went from a 6.5" Traklite to 8" wheel and found a large improvement. Obviously there are other factors as well. This is on an EVO that trapped 160mph with a 26x9.5 Hoosier.
Exact same set of tires used on each set of wheels?

Maybe one of the wheels was bent.

Ex. The wheels I have on my Hoosiers were perfect when I DD'd on them only seeing 80mph, after I took them over 120mph on the track (with the Hoosiers) they get wobbly after 1000' because one of the rims was bent and I didn't know.

Not saying this is the case but possible, even a minor bent wheel going 160mph is going to feel like you've got a square rim on there. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back