The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Where can I find replacement air intake hoses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I'm looking at the large air intake hoses that connect the air box, turbo, bypass valve and throttle body on my '92 Talon TSi, and some of them appear to be showing signs of cracking near where they're clamped. I'd like to replace some of them, especially the turbo-bypass one, but I can't seem to find any place that sells them. Maybe I'm not looking for them by the correct name? Are they generally not replaced? Or if replaced, are they usually replaced with metal pipes? I can get the OEM part #'s, but they're pretty expensive and I'm not sure they're even made anymore, and they don't seem like the sorts of parts where you have to have OEM quality. Any ideas?

I've been able to get OEM part numbers and parts from Mega Zip (megazip.com). They have an easy to use catalogue with diagrams for every specific model. Their catalogue is for Mitsubishi Eclipse but the part numbers should be the same for both cars. Also try Mopar Giant. I've had success there. If not, maybe someone else here has some ideas on what you can use to substitute. My air intake is okay so far so I haven't looked for alternatives yet.

I've been able to get OEM part numbers and parts from Mega Zip (megazip.com). They have an easy to use catalogue with diagrams for every specific model. Their catalogue is for Mitsubishi Eclipse but the part numbers should be the same for both cars. Also try Mopar Giant. I've had success there. If not, maybe someone else here has some ideas on what you can use to substitute. My air intake is okay so far so I haven't looked for alternatives yet.
Thanks, but I was hoping to get aftermarket ones. The restoration project's costing way more than I'd hoped or expected. I might just keep the original ones and just keep an eye on them. It might just be the exterior surface cracking but the insides might still be ok. I'll use a stethoscope to see if I hear any leaks.

So the trend is to replace hoses with metal pipes and flexible fittings? Is that helpful with stock output DSMs, or mostly with higher-HP ones?

So the trend is to replace hoses with metal pipes and flexible fittings? Is that helpful with stock output DSMs, or mostly with higher-HP ones?

Short answer, yes.

It’s helpful for both stock and higher hp cars in the fact that it’s way easier to track down and fix boost leaks, and they won’t crack/balloon out on you. Plus, it’s aesthetic and don’t let anyone lie to you and say it’s not.

For an intake pipe, I haven’t had to track down a 1G aftermarket intake pipe in a very long time and when I did, it was speed density so it didn’t need a bov recirc tube. I’m sure one of the vendors like extremepsi, or STM Tuning or any of the other vendors that deal with metal fab could make one easily.

I’d replace it all with metal and be done with the 20+ year old rubber accordion piping we have stock. Plus it’ll make the turbo noises louder which is awesome. Idgaf if that’s ricer or not. :p

Thanks, but I was hoping to get aftermarket ones. The restoration project's costing way more than I'd hoped or expected. I might just keep the original ones and just keep an eye on them. It might just be the exterior surface cracking but the insides might still be ok. I'll use a stethoscope to see if I hear any leaks.
Have you made a boost leak tester yet? That’ll be the easiest way to check them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back