The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

When did you find love with a DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well im only 16 now but i was prolly 10 or 11 i think but one of my moms employee had a silver eclipse 2g style just dont know what kind back then i didnt know they had types LOL :thumb:

My friend got a 92 VR4, and he took me for a ride, we hit speeds and did things that you couldn't do in a non-AWD Turbo car, I think i got the next best thing, LOL. Good times, and some good old fashioned AWD mayhem!

I miss it bad, I want another 1G next summer

I had always loved Eclipse's, but I before I started driving I never knew anything about turbos. I walked into my friends garage one day and his dad had a 98 gsx, in mint condition. I had never seen one with that wing.. and I liked it soo much better. Not too long later I learned about turbos and found out how much fun they were.... It took me 3 years, but I finally got mine :thumb:

i found dsm's when i wanted a cheap, affordable car that can be made stupid fast for cheap and still look dam good.

i never really liked eclipses till F&F, that green one blew my mind. in fact, all those cars blew my mind. until then i had been a "if its not a V8 its shit" and those cars like the rx7, supra and eclipse were cars that i never even considered to have potential. but then the damage was done and i wanted a civic to make into the ricer dream, body kit, rims, wing, graphics. thankfully i couldnt find one in my area that was stock or that was the price range that was reasonable. and besides i test drove a SI and i was not impressed at all. my tbird was alot faster. so i went on the hunt, asked around and learned that some eclipses have a turbo stock. i then found that some of those stock turbo dsm's have awd. but i then later learned the price of gsx/gst in my area was way out of my range(13g's), well it had to be a 2g too, at the time i hated the 1g. so i gave up but i was playing around on ebay and just searched eclipse in the cars, first one posted was in the bay area, a charcoal grey gst spyder, 60k, 5spd, i thought, "well somethings fugged on it, but ill call anyways". called the place, talked to the sales manager(btw this was a bmw dealership) and he said its perfect, lady bought it new and it was her weekend car, traded it in for a z3 roadster or whatever. drove 2 hours that night to look at it, picked it up right there.

I don't remember noticing them. I might have seen the hood lump and wondered, but I don't think I knew they were AWD.

I had a second-gen Celica Supra. sigh. I still miss that one. It got stolen, the factory wheels and $200 of new Bridgestone tires were swapped-off for another set of factory mags and worn-out tires, and the car was burned.

I replaced it with an '84 Datsun 200SX Turbo.

When it was getting so tired (at 170K miles) that I no longer wanted to fiddle with it, I looked at the 3rd-gen Supra. The damned thing felt like a Camaro :barf:

I found out about the AWD DSMs when I was looking for something to cheat the chain requirements for my Tahoe runs. I wound up with a '93 with bad paint, and finally noticed the 2Gs, and fell in love with their looks. After a couple of good years with the '93, I went looking for a 2G and got this one, too.

The 1G is a better car, but I still like the looks and feel of the 2G better.

DSM's to me were one of those cars that I knew were badass, but when the time came to look for another car, they never crossed my mind. Not when I went with a CRX, not when I went with my Impreza RS, not even when I was looking around for a WRX. It wasn't until a friend of mine pointed out that DSM's and the Evo share the same motor and I thought, great googamooga, I can have a poor man's Evo. And so a late love affair began.

i was on a family vacation in maine. i saw a green 97 gsx towing a boat.

that did it for me!

now i have 3.

Mine came with age.

My friend got a 90 GS-t when we turned 16, I got my 87 300zx Turbo. I could beat him but wasn't by much. We were both stock, the thought of being able to make them faster didn't even enter our minds.

My engine went out, I still have the Z and I am restoring it and modding it as well.

He drove his until the turbo was in bad need of a cleaning and wouldn't boost. Sold it to a dude with a supercharged prelude. We saw him a few times as we started getting into the car scene and then he ran a high 11 second run. Awesome, is all I coudl think.

My other buddy had a 92 GSX sitting in his backyard with a bad clutch and drivers front axle. We bitched at him for a year to build it, told him it could be hella fast. Finally I told him I would give him 400 for it, he said 450 I said cool.

Here we are now, in AWD heaven. Spending money on the GSX I should be spending on the Z, and still not quite knowing why.

I was in to muscle cars, and old mustangs, corvettes, back in the day. I bought my first DSM in 02, it was a 1997 Eclipse RS with 53k original miles. It was my first car, i didnt buy it for racing purposes at all cause i knew the 140 HP wasnt what u would claim quick. I didnt know much about DSM's at the time, nor did i know i owned a "DSM". Slowly, i fell in love with the looks of the car and started making it a show car. Yeah i threw in an intake here, exhaust there, and headers, and all those basic mods to a 420A. The car still felt slow as shit, i dunno why. So, one day, i came across DSMtuners.com, dont ask how, i guess i just clicked on something and it brought me to this site. After numerous months of researching about Turbo DSM's, i wanted to sell my car and buy a 2g GSX. But no luck for months, i still kept pouring money in the 420A and one day it was time to race. Yeah i admit i was a shittalker man, i use to think my N/T was the shit, even though i knew it wasnt. I use to smoke all the civics, cavaliers, jetta Gt's, Integra LS's, but one day it was time to go face to face with a GSR. Im not gonan lie man, i got my ass whooped to hell. Yeah they left laughing (my friends) thinking DSM's were slow and shit. After more months of researching on DSMtuners, i finally made up my mind after no luck of finding a GSX, and found a 98 GST in Philadelphia. I never had driven a Turbo DSM, or anything before, didnt know what it felt like. But man when i got on it, that thing was so mofo quick that i fell in love with it. At the time i didnt care if it was a lemon or what, i had to buy this beast, expecially cause of the embarassment my 420A suffered (yeah i know i was stupid). And here i am today, i did indeed whoop the GSR's ass and got my revenge when i called him out, so bad that he wanted to sell his car. But that didnt keep my DSM from giving me numerous months of headaches after constant rebuilds/repairs. My DSM loves towe trucks, i know that for a fact. But hey i still love it no matter what, thats why im broke again......but doing everything i can to bulletproof it..IMO the best DSM is a rebuilt one, and i own one of those..

6 weeks and still havnt gotten my Engine

Yep this is the recent pic of what used to be my N/T..excluding the Altezzas which the new owner (16 year old) put on..hey it was a reliable car man..and i did my best to make it look good. All work was done by me

Attachments

• myoldride.jpg
    myoldride.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 104
I worked with a guy that bought his brand new back in 91. It was the Black Cherry Talon AWD (Just like Sheps). It was cool riding in it. Just sucked you back in the seat, it was very strong even in stock form. As far as I'm concerned though, I fell in love when I drove mine home. :thumb:

I first fell in love with Mitsu when they were running either the late 2g or early 3g commercials. I just loved the way they looked. Then a friend told me about the 3kgt and I thought that it was totally the schiznat. while I was looking for a car early this year I couldn't find a 3kgt I could afford, and I stumbled upon the eclipse. I had never known that there were turbo or awd models, and now I'm hooked. I haven't bought one yet but I'm looking at a 90 talon tsi awd. the dealer says it has "has motor problems" cause it makes noise and lists that it may need "head or valve job" I think it has lifter tick because I have been research motor noises in DSM. Hopefully I can get it and the addiction will start anew. Anyone have the number for DSM addicts anonymous? :p

Glad to see I am not the only one who was in love with DSMs some time before he could aford one....I am very greatful that I have my 99 GSX...just get mad at it when something goes wrong, but hey it's alot better then the Cavalier I used to drive..ugh... :dsm:

I have liked them for a long time. Joined this site about a year ago, and still don't have mine. Still trying to sell my rx7 turbo II to buy one. I know quite a bit of shit about them for never owning one... :p

1996 When my mom came home with a 93 tsi. Loved it. Now its all mine :thumb:

I don't remember exactly how it happened but I fell for the 2g styling. A friend had a 2g awd along with his gs n/t, I ended up with the 2g awd. I just skipped the rx7 and the supra.

Sadly enough, what brought my attention to the DSM's was The Fast and the Furious. Out on Michigan's east side, there used to be about 90-95% muscle cars back then. Any imports/compacts were nowhere near quick. Then I caught the movie and was kinda hooked.

I did research on them and just kept getting more and more interested. It took me a good 4 years or so till I got mine last year. I just wanted a car that could go fast for relatively cheap while maintaining good looks. You could say that movie opened my eyes to the outside world. :thumb:

Back in high school one of my friends had a black 91 Tsi with the gray bottom, but I never paid any attention because he never did anything with it and my Malibu was blowing his doors off at the time. Went to college and had to get rid of the big-block V8 in favor of gas mileage. Kid on my floor had a 91 Tsi auto that had had done some work to and he drove me home one day. I was floored with how fast his car was and my interest was sparked. A couple days later he took me out to meet Curt Brown at the drag strip and that sealed the deal. Bought a 94 DL to get me around and start my knowlege base with DSMs. Had it about a year and sold it to a girl for way more than it was worth because she thought it was "pretty" and bought my Tsi after 3 months of searching and walking everywhere. Been hooked ever since and praying my car holds together till I get out of school and can really start to work on her.

i had a 91 eclipse turbo :thumb: and i tell you what it was more of a love hate thing than a love thing i hated it 90% of the time but the 10% of it workd i loved it more than anything but it up and burnt down now im sad :cry: i miss it soooo much

I first fell in love with dsm's when i got to know the guy down the street from me. He has a 91 tsi with 330whp. I first went for a ride and was like holy s**t. Later that week he let me drive the tsi and i ended up almost going to jail for wreckless driving haha. After i drove his car i swore i would sell my tiburon and own a dsm. Well i still have the tiburon but i can say i am a proud owner of a 92 laser rs awd. Will never live without a dsm. :laser:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back