The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What's wrong with my car?! (Video inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk3rz

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2012
Surgoinsville, Tennessee
Eagle Talon TSi Help - YouTube

I finally got the car running great. I put it on craigslist, found a buyer, and he came and looked at it, drove it, car ran perfect.
The next day I had to work til 10pm, I told him to meet me after that.
He showed up at my house at 8 and my stepdad was there and talked to him, he started it up and drove it up and down the road and then text me and said it runs like crap.
I'm not sure what he could have done but he isn't to happy.
Can anyone guess what this problem could be?
It has new wires, and I put new plugs in it but I'm starting to think they could be fouled now.
I think it's a fuel issue.
At idle it can barely stay running and will cut off after a few seconds.
If you give it gas it seems to be fine. Any ideas?

Check to make sure that the intercooler pipes are intact and that the maf plug didn't come un hooked.

My money is on the transistor pack. Look at your tach it's not working and it seems as if your only running on 2 cylinders. Swap it with an extra see if it fixes the problem, also check your intercooler connections as a hose may have popped off.

You can get one from any auto parts store but there very expensive. I also forgot to say you could have a problem with the crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor. Pull the top of your timing belt cover and look at the bottom of your intake cam and see if the sensor looks good IE not cracked damaged. Test the ohms if all checks out then move on to pulling the lower cover, and check the crankshaft sensor, again no cracks or damage, check the ohms. I believe a bad crank or cam sensor would make the tach not work and lose spark on 2 cylinders as well as the power transistor module. Do you have anyone that could help you check and confirm spark on 4 cylinders?

EDIT: Agreed With above test first! I also noticed your check engine light is on, do you have a code scanner to check the code/s?

After testing the resistor pack which only takes a moment to do, I would look at the speed sensor as well for the gauge issue just out of curiosity.

Do you have a 2g cam and crank sensor or a 1g CAS swapped in?

I believe so. I had to swap the spark plug wires around to the 1g order or whatever. The code is an o2 sensor, thats the only one it's throwing though.

I pulled my plugs, 1&4 are wet. I'm guessing they aren't firing. From what I'm reading, it can be the CAS, ECU, or transistor. Well, the transistor is bad I know (no RPM reading) but the car ran fine before. So could it still be the transistor causing 1&4 not to fire?

The car had a fire before i got it and in the transistor was melted to they plug so I broke it trying to unplug it. Have another on its way and hopefully what'll fix it.

Just received the transistor today, only had time to start it once, it still seemed like its running on 2 cylinders though. Good news is my RPM works now! LOL. I may have to pull the ECU out again and see if it went bad overnight? Then there is only the CPS and CAS left.

...Check what the check engine light is nagging about. I have a scanner under my seat at all times for other reasons but I'm sure it's a good idea to keep one around...

How do I test for that? And how do I test sensors, I've looked at guides, but I'm not sure of the voltage I'm suppose to get. I have a 1g CAS so would I need to replace the CPS if it's bad or is the CAS all I need?

A shame no one post in these forums anymore im getting alot of useful DSM info So thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back