The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G What engine does my Eclipse GS have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96WhiteEclipse

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2022
Owasso, Oklahoma
I’ve heard that I have the 4g63 but then other sources tell me I have 420A. It’s a 1996 Eclipse GS. I don’t know what to believe.

Can someone please give me clarification. I want to turbo charge it but I’ve heard the 420A with send a piston through the head. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
If your car does not have a turbo already it is not a 4g63. 2g cars did not have non turbo 4g63 versions in the United States. If it's a hardtop its a 420a.

If it's a convertible its a SOHC 4g64 mitsubishi engine.

"sending a piston through the head" is a very fast and furious thing. While there is nothing inherently wrong with a 420a motor it isn't built for boost. No NA motor really is but specifically the 420a is just designed as an efficient plain motor.
4g63 is overbuilt.

if you live in US as your profile says, it's 420a, Mitsubishi Eclipse GS and RS both had 420a, as well as Eagle Talon ESi, but if you have GS Spyder, you might have 4g64 which is 2.4L non turbo, if you do live in Europe, in EU models they do have naturally aspirated 4g63 equipped (I had 2 back in Finalnd)

All non-turbo 2G hardtop cars on US soil will have the Chrysler 420A. Not sure how it worked out that way but that's what we're stuck with.

I've owned two 420A cars over the years and they're painfully slow but extremely reliable when properly cared-for. Unless it's a car you're married to for whatever reason I'd never consider turbocharging one given the amount of parts and tuning support for the turbocharged 4G63-equipped cars, although with the recent surge in value of the factory turbocharged models it may be more of a viable solution than it ever was before.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back