The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

what do i need to install a 20g onto my 98 gst?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98gstbrad

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2011
waco, Texas
I already have the manifold and the o2 dump but is there anything else that i will need to install the 20g? The 20g is a real mitsu 20g just to add that

are you currently on stock turbo? if so you may need to upgrade your fuel pump walboro 255 is good, maybe bigger injectors which will all mean your gonna need a tune. but pretty much more fuel. and adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be nice also.

You'll need a J-pipe, a slotted 2g drain line (or 1g drain line), and a 1g feed line.

It's a simple install.

You'll need a J-pipe, a slotted 2g drain line (or 1g drain line), and a 1g feed line.

It's a simple install.

You do know that 20g's come down firing too, and if it's the case, he won't need the J pipe. And use your factory oil drain, as 1g's are known to leak and break.

Yes i am currently running the stock turbo and yes its one of the real 20gs that are down firing. So basically its a bolt on turbo i dont have to buy any aftermarket oil drain lines or coolant lines? Also how many pounds of boost can i run on the stock fuel system? I am wanting to get a wally 255, 450cc injectors and an Aeromotive fpr. The thing about the tune though is my ecu is flashable so if i flash my ecu to tune it will that be enough to keep it running correctly?

pretty sure you already have 450s in your car. even 550s are not going to be enough unless you keep a really mild tune. when it comes to injectors always go bigger and tune down. if i was you id go dsmlink before bumping up your turbo, and fuel system. just my .02

pretty sure you already have 450s in your car. even 550s are not going to be enough unless you keep a really mild tune. when it comes to injectors always go bigger and tune down. if i was you id go dsmlink before bumping up your turbo, and fuel system. just my .02

+1
No point in spending $$$ without being able to manage your fuel. Stock injectors can handle 16psi if I am not mistaken. So bigger is better, but ultimately depends on how much boost you plan to run. Just make sure you dont pass 80% idc. Theres a formula to help calculate injector size needed(don't know it off the top of my head) but its online.

A 190 will do fine as far as a fuel pump, how is the car tuned? I would get some 750s or higher, to give yourself some breathing room. If you have link you can get any size and be done with it, and be able to run any size injectors. I bought a 255 and ended up getting a afpr, when i really didnt need it on my 1st gen build. Do you have a wideband?

Your turbo should be one of the last things you upgrade. Get your Exhaust, intake, tuning, fuel, and maintenance setup first. You do not need DSMLink if you want to stick with the flashable ECU. Are you going to be running E85? What are your power goals?

GL running 20G on a stock car with no way to tune ;) A TD05 14b flows 405cfm, TD06 20G flows 650cfm. I would not think it wise to throw that much air at a stock motor without a way to give it enough ful and to properly tune.

Your turbo should be one of the last things you upgrade. Get your Exhaust, intake, tuning, fuel, and maintenance setup first. You do not need DSMLink if you want to stick with the flashable ECU. Are you going to be running E85? What are your power goals?

I have upgraded most of the intake system, have a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust ready to be put on, my ecu is flashable, i have a AEM wideband ready to install with exhaust, car has clutch that can handle, about to replace all engine seals and gaskets, and arp headstuds are in motor. No i do not want to go E85 due to not having any gas stations within a 15 mile radius of my home. I only want to make about 350.

Also i am pretty sure mine have 370s and i just want a mild tune this is my daily driver. All i am looking for is to make my car just a little faster not a 13 second car or anything like that.

I have upgraded most of the intake system, have a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust ready to be put on, my ecu is flashable, i have a AEM wideband ready to install with exhaust, car has clutch that can handle, about to replace all engine seals and gaskets, and arp headstuds are in motor. No i do not want to go E85 due to not having any gas stations within a 15 mile radius of my home. I only want to make about 350.

Also i am pretty sure mine have 370s and i just want a mild tune this is my daily driver. All i am looking for is to make my car just a little faster not a 13 second car or anything like that.

Your car came with 450's from the factory.

Unless you already have the 20g (or found a great deal on it), there really isn't any need for it with your goals. A Big or Evo3 16g will get you to 350hp with mild boost without the lag of the 20g on (to it) low boost.

A 20g turbo flows at about 39 lbs/min if I'm not mistaken. Stock 450cc injectors will only support 20 lbs/min at 80% IDC and 25 lbs/min at 100% IDC (drastically shortening injector life). In a nut shell, you would be lucky to run 5 lbs of boost on that 20g before you maxed out the stock injectors. Don't waste any money on 450's (which you already have), get some 750's and Link before you even considering installing that turbo.

And I agree with Evo_This. A 20g is a bit much for someone trying to get a little more pep out of their daily driver. Find yourself a good 16g or collect the right supporting mods for a 20g.

Last edited by a moderator:
i made a mistake getting a 255 for my car, i have a rich idle now. i think a 190 is a good fuel pump to look at.

I have all the supporting mods ready to put on the car. What i am asking is what do i need to install a tdo6 20g onto my 98 gst. In other words will the stock oil feed/drain lines and coolant lines work with the 20g?

I have all the supporting mods ready to put on the car. What i am asking is what do i need to install a tdo6 20g onto my 98 gst. In other words will the stock oil feed/drain lines and coolant lines work with the 20g?

Road Race Engineering's 2G 16-G Turbo Install Kits and Parts

Most of this will apply to the 20g with the exception of the Jpipe, which you won't need. You may need some other type of 90* elbow coming off the turbo towards your lower intercooler pipe though.

Also, I may have missed it, but is the turbo internally gated or does it need an external wastegate?

I'd put a forward facing oil filter mount on. It illiminates the coolant based oil cooler and makes it air cooled. It's cheap. You can get a mighty max for 50 bucks. Not nessasary but it won't look like a bunch of hardware crammed in there to. Gives more room for acres!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back