The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What do I need to Install TD06H Turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planckscale

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2007
Tanzania, Africa
Hello,
I have blown my 16g evo3 turbo and would like to replace it with a TD05h-20g. I am almost convinced that this is the turbo for my current needs (especially due to its streetability). However, as it is always the case in this hobby, I have become increasingly curious on the TD06H option. Arashi and Kinugawa turbo have TD05H and TD06H options at a good price-points; hence my curiosity.

Now, the question is, will a TD06-20G turbo bolt right in on my current setup, which is evo3 manifold on top and a 2.5 exhaust housing on the lower end? Or the TD06H requires a new manifold and 02 housing due to fitness?

Thanks

You can find the various flavors of the 20G in a variety of turbine housings. Is the one you are considering a DSM flanged housing? Post a link for the turbos you're considering, and that will make it easy to identify.

I'd strongly recommend not wasting money on Chineese Ebay turbos, though. There's a reason they're being sold at "good price-points".

Thanks for the response.
My main question is, given my current setup as specified above (Evo3 16g MHI turbo, evo3 manifold, and 2.5 exhaust housing) with a TD06H-20g turbo be a straight fitness affair, or I have to change the housing.

In other words, what is the difference between TD05 and TD06 in terms of installation and fitness. Also, I am not clear as to how the difference T3 exhaust (7cm, 8cm, 10 centimeter) will affect my installation based on what exhaust manifold and exhaust housing I have. If I get a T3 10cm, then all I have to do is port Evo Manifold to match the turbo flange?

What about matching to the o2 housing? with a TD06 match to my old o2 housing the same way I have my TD05H-16g turbo? I hope I am making sense...

As an example, I am looking at a TD06H with Garrett 60-1 wheel and T3/14cm/V-Band. Another example, is the FP Green for the DSM. I have no preference, just examples.

Thanks

To answer your question about the 20G, yes it will bolt onto the EVO 3 manifold. I cannot be sure if the O2 housing is compatible, there may be a larger housing than the EVO 3 O2 housing. Again not 100% there.

As stated above, the T3 is completely different bolt pattern and will not work with the MHI square pattern turbo housings or turbo manifolds. They do make an adaptor if you want to run a T3/T4 turbo on your EVO3 manifold, but you will also have to change the O2 housing out and your down pipe.

I highly recommend contacting Jus about a 20G.

Upgrading to a 20G will be your easiest option. You will not have to buy a lot of extra parts to change over to a T3/4 setup.

I also Highly recommend not purchasing Chinese turbos. The center sections are extremely inferior to MHI and there is no guarantee how long it will last. Simply put, Chinese machining is very sloppy tolerance and fast paced manufacturing. The quality is poor and it's not just turbos it's anything machined coming from that country. The casting methods in China are actually not too bad. Usually the housings on a Chinese turbo will work fine, but the center section fails from faulty machining and or poor tolerancing.

The main difference between TDO5 and TDO6 is the shaft diameter. There are some other things different if someone else would like to chime in.

Can I have your EVO3 turbo?

I hear you guys about the Chinese turbo and I appreciate your concerns. Plus, being in TZ I don't have the luxury of returning imported parts if 'am not satisfied. However, I believe the Arashi and Kinugawa turbos are not your typical Chinese turbo. I will leave it there for now because my main concern at the moment is the fitness of TD06H on my current setup. Thanks

To answer your question about the 20G, yes it will bolt onto the EVO 3 manifold. I cannot be sure if the O2 housing is compatible, there may be a larger housing than the EVO 3 O2 housing. Again not 100% there....The main difference between TDO5 and TDO6 is the shaft diameter. There are some other things different if someone else would like to chime in.

Can I have your EVO3 turbo?

Sorry, the Evo3 turbo is now trashed - chipped blades! The 16g platform has been good to me for the past 14 years. Now I want to move up the chain and TD05H-20g seems to be a good compromise between the street and a little bit of top-end. I know the TD05H-20g is a direct fit and I have already tested this.

Now, if the main difference between TDO5 and TDO6 is the shaft diameter, then does it mean the TD06H-20g (TD06 exhaust turbine, TD06H compressor) will be a direct fit in my current setup?

Have Justin rebuild your 16G into a tdo5h-20g. You'll spend far less and have a reliable turbo that will bolt on just like before.

From my understanding there are several different flanges for a 20g. You would obviously need the dsm flanged one if you want to bolt on.

I would contact justin he does fantastic work and knows more about turbos than most on the form.

Thanks guys. I will stick to the TD05H-20g, same turbine housing as my current e16g, no hassle.

For the record a TD06 and TD06H 20G will spool (relatively..depending on the person's definition of spool) extremely slow compared to your Evo 3 16G. You may end up hating it, that combined with the fact that since it's chinese materials the shaft will be abnormally thick, to make up for the weaker materials than in the authentic MHI variations, and it'll be a slow spooling SOB.

The difference between and TD06 and TD06H isn't the shaft thickness(if we're talking everything authentic MHI), it's the turbine wheel's size. TD04, TD05H, TD06, TD06H, etc, all refer to the size of the turbine wheel. Not the compressor, housing, or etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back