The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Unsteady idle, slow throttle response.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotatoFlakeSTi

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2011
Wall, New_Jersey
Having fixed a myriad of issues, and other than some remaining welding jobs I am left with this... An unsteady idle, and slow throttle response.

I'd adjusted the TPS, as it was causing the car to idle at roughly 2200rpm, the car is now relatively steady, barring the fluctuations at 900-1000.

Throttle response is slow, drive-by-wire feel.

Is this a common sensor issue, my google-fu/search mastery is failing me at the moment.

Here's a Video(Showing vacuum and oil pres... Tachometer is obviously moving between 900 and 1000);
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can GoPro drivability if that might offer more answers to my question.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a 1G the TPS should be set to output 0.5v +- 0.02v with the throttle closed.
The IPS should be grounding the connector with the throttle closed.
The idle speed is controlled by the BISS, ISC/ECU, and FIAV. At operating temp and factory timing the idle should be 750 +-50 RPM. That's what the ECU is programmed for, if it's not idling at that speed the ECU no longer has control over the idle speed due to many possible causes like a bad ISC, missadjusted BISS, vacuum leak, no TB ground, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back