1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Slow acceleration. no throttle response

Posted by Big Mo, Aug 15, 2020

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Big Mo

Big Mo Probationary Member

Joined Aug 15, 2020
    carson, California
    Alright, hoping y'all can send me in the right direction.

I have a 95 eclipse with a t28 garrett turbo. I picked this car up from a friend. The car has been sitting in his drive way for over 3 years. I got it home drained the fuel, put 91 and injector cleaner, changed the spark plugs, wires, ran a block check for carbon in the coolant none found (no head gasket damage), verified engine will idle, no over heating, oil pressure gauge does not respond to dash but there is pressure (verified), drove vehicle up and down the street and got a DTC p0300.

It doesn't feel like timing is off but it does feel like something is messing with fuel and air compensation causing engine to throw off timing maybe?

The vehicle will slowly accelerate rpms as the pedal is floored. It does not cap off at any rpms, just takes forever to accelerate. Replaced the TPS no difference found

Did disconnect the exhaust before the cat and verified no clogged cat.

Street Build 149  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    The first thing to do is always check for boost leaks by doing a boost leak test. I'm not sure what could be causing that misfire as I've never had that code.

Street Build 4K  3

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  3. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    P0300 is really common for 6 bolt in a 2g guys. By running both cam and crank signals from the some sensor, sometimes the ecu gets a bit confused, and it will throw the code and only run on 2 cylinders.

Does your car have a 6 bolt? If it does, the cheapest/easiest way to fix that issue is to put a 10k pot on the baro signal wire and adjust it until the code stops coming back on. If that is the problem, ECMlink can ignore that check for you long-term, and you wont ever have that issue again.

729  10

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 9K  24

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

380  7

2008 Lancer Evolution MR
    awd · automatic · Lancer Evolution
    SimpleGSTSpyder likes this.
  4. Big Mo

Joined Aug 15, 2020
    carson, California
    Ima run a boost leak monday at work but im debating if ima pressurized it... or smoke it with the evap leak tester.. and also the question i got. with either test is what about the intake valves do i gotta remove the belt to shut the valves

Street Build 149  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Big Mo

Joined Aug 15, 2020
    carson, California
    i almost wanna say its an under boost issue but i dont like guestamating much ahahha

Street Build 149  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Smoke is pretty useless on a turbocharged car unless you have the adapters to smoke it then pressurize it. Like the Lisle 69910 which includes said adapter. Even then, smoke is pretty pointless. Just pressurize the system and use soapy water to find the leaks - save yourself some time.

for the valves, you can rotate the engine to get minimal loss through the valves, but they are never all closed at the same time. You will lose air thru the crankcase. This isnt a problem, just set your pressure, spray down every component with soapy water and you will find the leaks (assuming you have some, which is pretty safe as far as assumptions go)

729  10

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 9K  24

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

380  7

2008 Lancer Evolution MR
    awd · automatic · Lancer Evolution
  7. Big Mo

Joined Aug 15, 2020
    carson, California
    Ight ill give yall an update after the boost leak

Street Build 149  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Big Mo

Joined Aug 15, 2020
    carson, California
    Any body know of the top of there head a good apexi afc neo setting should be on the mixture

Street Build 149  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM