The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Twin disk question. Need verification.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milby43

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2008
Laurel Springs, New_Jersey
Hey I was talking to this kid, who didn't seem like he knew much. But he said one thing that sparked my interest.

" yea the engine crank walked twice."
I asked why he thinks it walked.
" it did man, I know what I'm talking about, I should have gotten a twin disk setup instead"

I kinda argued with him, but didn't get cocky(cause I really wasn't sure). I don't see how this could lessen the chances of crank walk. I KNOW how crank walk happens, possibly to any engine. For 2g's it was a block machining error if I'm correct?

How would a twin disk set up lessen the chances? I don't see how, from what I read, and understand of them. It's still clamping pressure pulling/pushing the crank like any other clutch correct? If not with more pressure?

I would think someone was just trying to sell a twin disk to him.

Thank alot!
Andrew

I think it has to do with the amount of force it takes to release the clutch. Conventional pressure plates require a bunch of force to release when you get one with increased clamping force; all that force is applied against the thin film of oil between the crank and the thrust bearing.

Bingo. Twin disk clutches work much more efficiently at high clamp loads than the standard disk and pressure plate. They sure are noisy though and not a great "street" clutch(what friction disk you use also has a great effect on this as well).

Interesting. Thank alot. He just made it seem like it would completely rid you of the chance kinda. But again thanks. Learn something knew every day

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back