The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Turn signal flasher module is dead, but looks different than other DSMs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMDEMON93

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2009
San Jose, California
Hey guys, so my turn signals/brake lights/hazards do not flash at the taillights, and I have narrowed it down to the flasher module behind the radio. My car is a 1995 GSX. Here's the odd part.

In the electrical manual, the module/relay is a 9 pin connector, but on my car, I only have a THREE wire relay?!?! I have the entire factory manual on CD..I spent hours searching on the diagrams and found nothing! Here's a photo of it:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you guys can help me out here, and figure out what it is, and if that relay is actually bad, I don't know how to test this 3 prong relay. Thanks!

Someone obviously had to ad that 3 wire flasher & pigtail.
Maybe cut down into that black electrical tape where they spliced into the factory harness?
That might give you a little insight as to what was done....
Maybe figure out how they wired it into the car by the OEM wire colors.

But I'm not sure how that would work on our cars being the T/S switch sends a ground to the module.
Module then sends power to flash the appropriate turn signal circuit.
That is 5 wires needed OEM minimum.

Is there more hackery under there? Like to the turn signal switch?

Someone obviously had to ad that 3 wire flasher & pigtail.
Maybe cut down into that black electrical tape where they spliced into the factory harness?
That might give you a little insight as to what was done....
Maybe figure out how they wired it into the car by the OEM wire colors.

But I'm not sure how that would work on our cars being the T/S switch sends a ground to the module.
Module then sends power to flash the appropriate turn signal circuit.
That is 5 wires needed OEM minimum.

Is there more hackery under there? Like to the turn signal switch?

Well here's a little background info, the car had an electrical short to the interior dash harness, so I bought a used one from Miller Import Parts, asking for one from a 95 GSX. Sure enough every plug had a place. Now I'm stuck with this. Maybe it's possible it was from a Sebring/Avenger? Since they share similar dashes? I don't see any hacking of any sort.

Now aren't all dash harness made the same? And the factory just caps wires not being used to keep production costs down? Coincidentally after the install my blower fan doesn't work, and passenger window, but all connectors plug in to the chassis!

Any other input please let me know. Thanks!

You know, there are two different 2g t/s switches. The 98-99 switch connectors won't fit into the 95-96 column . Just a guess, but maybe a P/O hacked some of the wiring around the turn switch .. Did you have a look ?

Well I had to go out and purchase a new turn signal stock, maybe the harness I have is from a 98-99 car? I wish I had a better way to identify it. I'm thinking of going to Pick-n-Pull and getting another dash harness, but I'm hoping for an alternative to that , haha

Some of the sebring's use the same design turn signal wiring as 2g's.
A turn signal switch that provides a ground to a 9 or 10 terminal flasher module. It is almost the exact same.

I just looked thru many wiring diagrams, 95's 97's 99's they're all the same for 2g DSM. Early sebrings are the same the later models 96 JXi's vert & up are not compatible.
But the LX-LXi's coupe do use a 3 wire flasher....
Maybe that's whats going on?

Here is the OEM diagrams for a 96 LX 2.0

Attachments

• 96sebringts1.gif
    96sebringts1.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 96sebringts2.gif
    96sebringts2.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 343
  • 96sebringts3.gif
    96sebringts3.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 96sebringts4.gif
    96sebringts4.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 196
Ahh that makes more sense, well luckily I pulled a harness out of a 97 GST Spyder today and it looks great, and it has the t/s flasher module and all. Let's see if everything goes back to normal! Thanks guys! And thanks for the wiring breakdown wrencher!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back