The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Turbocharging a 4G64

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clawless

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2018
Astoria, New_York
Hey all!

I think I'm ready to start planning to turbocharge the 4g64. Is there any available parts list or guide to follow the process. I don't mind sticking with the stock head or swapping to the DOHC head. The reason for this post is to have a checklist of the parts I'll need in order to completely turbo the 2.4l 4g64 in my spyder. Thank you for any advice in advance.

Hey all!

I think I'm ready to start planning to turbocharge the 4g64. Is there any available parts list or guide to follow the process. I don't mind sticking with the stock head or swapping to the DOHC head. The reason for this post is to have a checklist of the parts I'll need in order to completely turbo the 2.4l 4g64 in my spyder. Thank you for any advice in advance.

I believe what you are asking, you can find in here.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/4g64-na-to-turbo.519450/

Also i'm pretty sure you should be able to run stock internals safely so as long as you're not gonna be running high boost levels.
Yeah I plan on running stock internals with low boost. Any build sheet that’s been done would help me a lot.

I wouldnt worry about changing the head. I daily drove a stock 4g64 with a 16g on 15lbs for years with no issue. This is all the stock turbo stuff I used from a 2g- gst ecu,maf,injectors,fpr,exhaust manifold and o2 housing. With a ebay catback, downpipe and fmic. I wish I never got rid of it, Funnest daily I've evar had.

Hey im planing on doing the same thing but am having trouble finding a definitive answer on the best way to tune the spyder i know you can flash the 1999/98 ecu but can't find much of anything on the best way to go about this ive also seen that you can swap a gst ecu in but don't really wanna go that route unless i have too any help would be great thanks!

Flashing the ecu seemed cheaper and i wouldn't have to deal with wiring in the new ecu but ecm link is really appealing because its bin difficult to find info on how to flash and link seems to have more capabilitys.im going to hit the books again to find more info on the best way to do the swap because i know you have to do some more wiring anyway for the injectors and some other stuff anyways

The same harness will work. But for how cheap the turbo harness is id just buy a good used turbo harness. Like for an example my old daily was a gst shell with a 4g64 motor. Didnt have to change any wiring.

Attachments

• 43500675_2368459833194884_4089964053080834048_o.jpg
    43500675_2368459833194884_4089964053080834048_o.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 424
Yeah that sounds like a good idea since with the gst harness the wires would already be there for the knock sensor and even the resister pack for the injectors so it should be pretty much plug and play with little to no wiring.right?

Ok so i found a gst spyder ecu and harness but its an auto if i swap the auto ecu into my Manual car will it make a difference?i found some threads that say yes and some that say no just looking for a definitive answer.
If you plan to go this route, be prepared for some headaches trying to get all of the wiring right. Few things to keep in mind about the spyder gst vs n/a harnesses:

- Injector resistor pack wiring and knock sensor wiring do not exist on the n/a harness, however are simple enough to add.
- the body harness connectors are different, so plan on replacing the ENTIRE front end harness.
- auto and manual are different, as are 95-97 and 98-99 (ISC connectors are different on 98-99)
- coupe harnesses can be used, however you will have to run a single power wire from the fuse box under the hood to a connector near the interior fuse box to retain power top functionality.

I did a 4G63t swap on my 99 Spyder M/T and used an engine and body harness from a 97 A/T coupe. It took a few hours of checking this, and tracing that, and pulling my hair out in frustration... but it does work. Its all documented in my build thread.

Thanks for your help,I was thinking about just going with a 98 manual gst spyder harness(if i can find one) with a 97 ecu with ecm link just so the wires for the knock sensor and resistor box will already be there and i should be able to retain the power top without having to run the power wire im pretty sure the 98 harness should pretty much just plug in and i wouldnt have to wire much of anything.but correct me if im wrong.thanks again for your guy's help.

If you plan to go this route, be prepared for some headaches trying to get all of the wiring right. Few things to keep in mind about the spyder gst vs n/a harnesses:

- Injector resistor pack wiring and knock sensor wiring do not exist on the n/a harness, however are simple enough to add.
- the body harness connectors are different, so plan on replacing the ENTIRE front end harness.
- auto and manual are different, as are 95-97 and 98-99 (ISC connectors are different on 98-99)
- coupe harnesses can be used, however you will have to run a single power wire from the fuse box under the hood to a connector near the interior fuse box to retain power top functionality.

I did a 4G63t swap on my 99 Spyder M/T and used an engine and body harness from a 97 A/T coupe. It took a few hours of checking this, and tracing that, and pulling my hair out in frustration... but it does work. Its all documented in my build thread.
Hey so I plan on going this route. So if I get a manual GST (95-97) ecu, and wire in the injector resistor pack and knock sensor, can I keep the stock 4g64 harness. I'm trying to keep the stock harness and just add what I need to fully use the features in the turbo ecu. Also what GST ecu is best for a 1996 Spyder N/A (guessing 95-97)?

Hey so I plan on going this route. So if I get a manual GST (95-97) ecu, and wire in the injector resistor pack and knock sensor, can I keep the stock 4g64 harness. I'm trying to keep the stock harness and just add what I need to fully use the features in the turbo ecu. Also what GST ecu is best for a 1996 Spyder N/A (guessing 95-97)?
Could it be done? Probably.. but there are connectors on the 4G64 harness that are different from the 4G63t harness. All depends on how much you want to have to rewire vs just sourcing a new harness.

Yes that's all you need to do is wire them in. Honestly all I would do is wire the knock sensor in and run high impedence injectors. So you don't have to mess with the harness more than needed. And on the ecu I would get either a black box 98-99 ecu orrr get a used ecmlink and be done with it.

i attached a pdf that has the ecu pinouts for a 1996 2.0 turbo and 2.4 spyder. It also has the electrical diagrams for the MFI system on the 2.4.

Attachments

• 1996 2.4L Eclipse Spyder Pinouts_MFI wiring.pdf
    576.7 KB · Views: 55
and here is a parts list for turbo conversion with head swap.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back