The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkoroth

Probationary Member
Jan 28, 2023
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Okay, so I went to look at a 3G eclipse today and stumbled upon a 2G GS-T decent condition minus no transmission. I'm very interested however the owner said something weird that is bugging me. They said that the car needs a transmission but it is "European" therefore the transmission is mounted different. I don't think thats true, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they all mounted the same?

Aside from the trim changes of course I know GS uses a 4g64 and the GSX is AWD. I mean American to European didn't change how the engine bay was built on the GS-T but would have done some stuff with emissions and what not. They are mounted with the transmission on the passenger side of the car and the engine on the drive right?

Then since I'm here and asking about Transmission differences. Assuming I snatch this thing up I would need a transmission from a GS-T 4g63. Does any other 4g63 transmissions work for a GS-T? Or does it need to be from a Gen 2 eclipse only?

Thanks man! Then the engine bay I assume I am correct on.

Could you get a picture? The Euro cars are right hand drive correct?

Not right now, I did peek at the engine bay and the transmission was missing from my left when looking into the engine bay. So, the American passenger side, it's at the guys shop he said he would send me VIN and more pictures later so perhaps tomorrow or Monday. I did look this up tho and have a hard time finding any engine bays with the transmission different. Also no, fairly certain it was left hand drive.

wait, just found this in club 3g. https://www.club3g.com/threads/right-hand-drive-3g.85272/

no RHD eclipse any gen due to the collaboration origins of the car. So then my initial assumption would be correct there is no transverse mounted drivetrain. Right?

The Eclipse and Talon non turbo cars which includes the GS and RS models have the engine and transmission on the opposite sides from the turbo models due to those cars using Chrysler drivelines and engine management,. The Eclipse SPYDER still has the engine mounted the same as the turbo models whether they are GS or GST Spyders since both models of Spyder use a Mitsubishi driveline and engine management.

European models of the Eclipse use a non turbo version of the GST/GSX engine.

Okay so to be clear, the European GS-T then would be mounted the same as the American GS-T just minus the turbo?

Then I ran into this post,
which also pointed a difference in the gear ratio on the European version, making the transmission a bit weaker, but sounds like its mounted the same.

Alright please answer that^^ and then let's get a little adventurous. Say I want to "Americanize" the car. What all needs to be swapped for American? ECU, Transmission, turbo, exhaust, and intake? Anything else?

All EU DSMs came with the N/A 4G63 and identical chassis configuration as the US GS-T. There was never a turbo DSM sold in Europe. The FWD manual trans on our EU GS is physically identical to the GS-T one, however its code is F5M31. Allegedly they have "weaker"? internal gearsets, but I have never personally compared or broken one. Doing a parts number search and comparison might help. I have no clue why somebody would have imported an Euro GS into the US, much less why they would ship an entire FWD non-turbo transmission over. So I suggest you ask the seller to take a picture of the code stamped on the bellhousing so we can be 100% certain what car it's from. Either way it will bolt up and work perfectly, same speed sensor, mounts, shifter bracket etc... P.S if it really is an Euro car that's been imported, its ECU is locked and has an immobilizer built in. The wiring harness is slightly different and if it's pre-1997, it will have the 3 plug ECU connector, like on a 1G.

Also, here's my VIN for my old 1996 EU GS when I had it: 4MBMND32AVE001558

You can use that to search and compare specific parts and see if they match up with a GS-T.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back